Fordmods Logo

LPG CANT SUPPLY MOTOR ENOUGH GAS ? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: LPG CANT SUPPLY MOTOR ENOUGH GAS ?
Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:19 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Falcon EF

SA, Australia

Ive got 2 ef both on gas , not a huge fan but is cheaper when running well,one is factory tickford gas,well talk about that later but my new ef i had a brand new conversion, i told the guy i wanted a bigger converter than standard due to problems with other car, it is an intermediate problem with both cars perfect on petrol but when you put your boot into it or kick down a gear the car just coughs and hiccups and coesnt want to rev cleanly, yet sometimes it does, ive taken it back for its first service that was all good but then this problem got worse, he tells me you shouldnt drive it like that yet my mates car same model hammers the s**t out of it ,smaller converter has no problems , any ideas?????

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

Mine used to have what seemed like a miss and sometimes backfire on takeoff from stand still until I fitted gas leads to it. Top Guns were the fix in my case.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:59 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

yep done all those simple things already, funny thing is the car when i put it on gas had the stock leads on it and never had a drama, now over time its like the diaghpram inthe converter is f**k??? a bloke suggested to me fitting 5/16 gas line before the conversion and my fitter said it was overkill, only now does he say we should have fitted it ???

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:39 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

You need to know what sort of "kit" it is .
If impco then good ... If omvl or landy then not so good

Take some pics of your system and where he took the water from .(that goes to the converter)

I lot of people have just started doing gas conversions in the last 12mths and still don't know a few "tricks" yet..

Post up a few pics here and see if we can work it out for you.

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

Nothing wrong with OMVL convertors, i can open my power valve up to run rich to the red line on my 5.0.
I think you obviously have a problem somewhere mate, and i doubt you'll solve it with a bigger line.

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:50 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

it is omvl, he was going to put on the landy but i suggested omvl, he said whatever you want, i said whatevers best mate , im not trying to penny pinch i just want the damn thing to be smooth,i dont want to get t-boned trying to beat a car at an amber light you know,i will take some pics mate but atm im having trouble getting attatchments onto here and outlook express has s**t it self,

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:13 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

dont know if this is gonna help much but the hose running around the back of the motor is joined in just behind the one under the inlet,the one with the weird plug on it with the brass hose which runs into water pump,have heard of that washer behind the spring on the diagphram trick from a hill billy down here,must be true

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:19 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

couple more,let me know if theres any better angles to be taken, i shouldnt really be having to f**k with the system being that is under warranty,few months old, i hate going back to places,just want it to be sweet though

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

That convertor looks VERY close to the extractors, from memory it has to be at least 6 inches from the exhaust.... Although it's hard to tell with that pic, it looks like it's sitting very low.

I'd try taking that stepper motor off and fitting a basic power valve (The unit in the vapour hose in the last pic).

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:30 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

ok i was worried about the extractors,they did melt the rubber grommet off on the bottom which we did find,thats when we were tuning it, i wrapped the new one in heat wrap and seems ok, why would you say remove the stepper motor,incase it is getting hot?or malfunctioning under heat,do you just un plug the existing one,i have got a spare manual powervalve lying around as that was experimented on my other problem car,only put the extractors on to make up for the small loss from the lpg,have i shot my self in the foot again,me other ef has the tickford stepper and no extractors and has similar symptons,obviously the converter it self can take reasonable heat

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I'm just not a fan of stepper motors, as soon as i get the chance to tune my AU again it's coming off.

I find it strange that you have 2 cars with the exact same problem though.
With the extractors that close, you could probably run it without water LOL.

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:54 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

not exact but very similar, no backfiring though touchwood,fixed all that up on the other beast, i asked my gas man if it would be ok with the extractors there and he reckoned no worries,fitted them on my lunch break before i did the conversion thank f**k,any way, i dont know, guess if it pisses me off enough il try something hey,think the old head gasket could be on its way too!!!

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

its not all about converter size . its how much air will get through ..

What you have there is really a bad setup .. just in power wise .. if all you wanted was economy then your set up there is good . .. If you want power then your out of luck

You have a 80mm throttle body .. with that mixer "ring" in there then you really only have a 55mm throttle body

Having your converter that close to the exhaust is ok .. you only need 100mm to be safe.

Does your car run bad on gas but ok on petrol ??

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:42 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

yes it is on there for economy,drives good when on gas under normal granpa driving, was fantastic before this problem arose, i dont want the lpg for power but funnily enough it went pretty hard and smooth on gas for a while,no hesitations, if i wanna really rev the guts out of it i will flick to the old pulp,im just waiting for the back firing to start next,and yeahh does run good on petrol,iam just starting to wonder if my plugs are f**k they are new but in the morning when i start the car it does the good old rough start up like its on 4 and a half cylinders,am loosing very small amount of coolant so guess im gonna have to pull the good old head off for a start anyway,i think,HOPE i have answered my own question,time will tell

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

Walker wrote:
I'm just not a fan of stepper motors, as soon as i get the chance to tune my AU again it's coming off.

While you can remove the stepper motor and replace with a power valve, that makes it illegal as the closed system is supposed to allow the LPG ECU to control the mixtures which it cant do with a normal power valve

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next