Fordmods Logo

LPG Injection in sydney 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: LPG Injection in sydney
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hey Guys

I just bought a 2005 ba mkII xr6 which i love to bits, but i want to convert it to lpg injection. Does anyone know of the best installer in sydney and the best injection kit for an xr6?

Cheers
Jono

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Dont know about best, but dont go to the Gas Man.

had a week to do my conversion (normally same day), Didnt deal the fittings in the boot. Didnt figure out why it wouldnt run properly. Did remove and not replace the CAI.

What about Crescent Motorsports?

Cheers

Nigel

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

NSW, Australia

I have booked my EF into get a LPG system with Doctor Gas at Blacktown. He asked if I was interested in an injected system for the EF. To be honest the extra cost over a normal gas system and what I paid for the car I did not think it was worth it. The cost of a normal setup was 2750, he mentioned he was waiting on some injected kits and they would arrive towards the end of August. The price was $3900.

I am still debating on putting the older system or the injected system on my EF. The injected system is going to cost me $1900 more.

Here is a URL

http://www.doctorgas.net.au/index.php?p=1_1

I am not sure in anyone else has dealt with them in the past and can give an opinion on workmanship, etc.

Cheers

Mark

EF Fairmont on LPG - for economy
AU Forte - For the wife and family
XY GS & 66 Mustang for the garage
CBR1100XX - For fun and time away from the wife

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

I would seriously consider the injection system as the car will drive just like on perol if done right.
They seem very expensive though? That website says $4800 for any 6cyl. which I would have to say is about $1000 over the average?

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

The tuning will make or break it. Mixer systems are a known quantity on the Falcons. Injection can do really well, and it can also struggle with stuff like lean cruise.

Nigel

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:38 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hey Rick's

The guy that runs the shop told me about the $3900 injection deal, but he said it not going to happen until the end of Aug. So for the guys who is after injection it might be worth giving the guys who owns it, Ron a call.

Is the older system that bad on the earlier model falcons? I drove an EL on gas for a while when I worked for Optus back in 2000 and it drove ok to me. I travel 160 round trip to work and the cost of fuel is killing me. for 2750 it is going to cost me 750 to convert to duel fuel and I know I will get that back in savings pretty quick. Are backfires a major issue with the Falcons. It mentions on his website it is a big deal with Commodores and Toyota's. The dude who runs the shop suggested I replace the plugs, leads and coil pack prior to running the car on the older system.

EF Fairmont on LPG - for economy
AU Forte - For the wife and family
XY GS & 66 Mustang for the garage
CBR1100XX - For fun and time away from the wife

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ive got an ef on gas aswell with the older system and its ok, ive had a few backfires, one which has rooted an engine so id prefer to go injection as they say it stops backfires. dont want my new x56 engine to get rooted otherwise i would just leave it petrol.

might have to give this guy a call. he seems pretty good but im looking for anyone that has fitted gas injection and knows the old system to compare the difference.

any1??

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

My system rarely backfires. Backfires are more a function of poor maintenance than constant problems. With care and starting on petrol till warmed up a bit, you will do fine with a mixer system. I manage to get by with few issues. I still would very much rather have the injection set up once I get the fairmont on the road.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Mmm funny storys!. I had a backfire in Mine (normal system), and it started a small "smoulder" in the engine bay, on the firewall. Wouldnt go out either until I managed to get a wet rag to it (very, very lucky).

But.... the reason it backfired was my own fault. BA Intake snorkel, and no balance line. I knew that wasnt right, but hadnt had time to fix the stupid work of the Gas Man (have I said dont go there).

Taken the snorkel off, and the car now runs perfect. Feel stupid for taking the risk.

The backfire also *smashed* the EF inlet peice (hard plastic, big, over the engine) in to little bits and peices. Grrrrrr.

Post subject: lpg
Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Can i get a new gas kit fitted to my EL which already has a gas kit fitted 10years and and still claim for the rebate at all?

I currently have a Airod system and wouldnt mind upgrading to liquid injection.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:23 am 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Have a chat to Joe @ Crescent Motorsport. They do gas installations there, and I've heard word on gas injection systems!

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:34 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Gas injection (or the newly-released Liquid injection) systems are the only way to go on BA Falcons or later. Because the Barra I6 has four valves per cylinder, a backfire can potentially cause expensive problems. SVI and LPLI system eliminate the risk of backfire compared to mixer-based systems.

The average asking price for an SVI installation is about $4500.

Regards,
Dave

2005 VZ Commodore SV6 with OMVL Dream XXI SVI LPG
2004 BA Falcon XT with Orbital Liquid LPG Injection
2004 BA Falcon XR6 with icom JTG Liquid LPG Injection

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Rick's EF Fairmont Wagon wrote:
My system rarely backfires. Backfires are more a function of poor maintenance than constant problems. With care and starting on petrol till warmed up a bit, you will do fine with a mixer system. I manage to get by with few issues. I still would very much rather have the injection set up once I get the fairmont on the road.

i agree but theres no way im gonna risk it on my new xr6! i had my system installed brand new on my ef and it backfired within 2 weeks so thats not a lack of maintenence mate. the other backfires where cause of dodgy work by various ppl which i wont mention here so i only want the best installer in sydney as im sick of paying big money for s**t work that i could have done better myself!

Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I also fitted EL intake pipes after the EF stupid thing cracked from backfires. You don't make 360k without a few dozen.
I have only had backfires when running with old leads, After fitting new "GAS" leads the backfires stopped and only occasional when starting. If you start on petrol and switch over once warmed up I never have any problems.
Can someone give me a straight answer why a $1200 under bonnet gas injection kit costs $4000 to fit?

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XW Falcon

WA, Australia

Could you use a converter, and push the mixed gas thru starndard injectors, sounds abit cheapo, but could it work?

1970 XW - Soon to be rebuilt

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next