Fordmods Logo

LPG Issues AU3 7 months never worked properly from new. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: LPG Issues AU3 7 months never worked properly from new.
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:29 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I had a gas conversion done 7 months ago. Car was in A1 condition 90,000 on clock.

Latest issue as usual. 20.Jan 2008 System under warranty with no luck to date repairing. Sprint system

20.1.2008: Example: Car stalls going around corner. Car restarts really rough. Put in drive and it stalls.

Petrol change over fine. Drive home. leave 10 minutes.

Car starts on gas now OK. BUT: Noisy converter - Gurgling sound like boiling water when turn off from converter.

Bubbles in overflow bottle on GAS ONLY> PETROL FINE NO BUBBLES>No smell of gas in bottle.

All indications not an engine issue.Oil perfect etc.

Next morning car is great on gas again. No bubbles at cold.

This car was the best we have ever owned until conversion.

This is driving us nuts. Xmas day broke down on gas after 200 Km's highway driving. Cooled down gas worked again later on.

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE HELPFUL> I suspect a converter problem ? Could this be a dirty fill up. Only 300km's done on gas since conversion due to on going problems.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

It would take quite a few fills of 'dirty' gas to gum up converter. Did leads and plugs get replaced with the conversion? If not this is the first thing I would look at doing, then coil pack. Your conversion should have a 12 month warranty so I would just keep taking it back until they fix it.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:31 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

if there are bubles in your overflow bottle on gas only.
i would say you might have a crack in the converter housing or a failing seal letting the lpg into the cooling system..??

if its under warranty keep taking it back.

Post subject: au lpg
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 08 BF Ghia

VIC, Australia

Could also be coolant not flowing properly. Sometimes they incorrectly run the hoses so when heater tap is shut converter freezes. stalling around corners could be coolant movement when little is reaching converter. When car is cold check coolant level and make sure its between min and max. It could also be dud converter bad tuning etc. Take back and go sick it isnt good enough for a seven month old system. Good Luck

Post subject: au lpg
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 08 BF Ghia

VIC, Australia

Could also be coolant not flowing properly. Sometimes they incorrectly run the hoses so when heater tap is shut converter freezes. stalling around corners could be coolant movement when little is reaching converter. When car is cold check coolant level and make sure its between min and max. It could also be dud converter bad tuning etc. Take back and go sick it isnt good enough for a seven month old system. Good Luck

Post subject: Ok a little more info
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Yes plugs and leads all changed (the Best) Filter new. I covered all bases at time of fitting to avoid issues if I had a problem with conversion. I would have never believed what has occurred since.

Coolant flow seems OK.

I am leaning to stuffed converter.

I thank you all for your replies. My knowledge on gas is nil 'and for the first time in my life I am mechanically dependant on repairer. Thanks to people like yourselves I am learning quickly.

To date:

Jan 2008 last week loose computer plug wire (Doubtful issue) Could not find fault.

1 new converter last October. Good for a month then bad ever since.

Prior to October:

Converter repair which led to 2nd converter repair Diaphragm. Gas leaked into Cooling system. Lost a couple of litres of coolant.

New leaking filler.

AU3 management system re-learning

Replacement gas gauge - faulty

At least 3 to 5 retunes on gas computer.

Etc etc. Since July 2007 I am now trying to remember all the issues.

Thanks everyone. Any info. gratefully received.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

when the lpg is playing up, pull over and check if the convertor in hot (should be very hot - caution)
it it is cold it means you have insuficiant water flow.
make sure you have the themostat with the "tapered plug" and not the one that can blank off the lower water port

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:06 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XHII ute

QLD, Australia

I agree with everyone else, send it back to them for repair.
Explain to the nicely that they have 1 more chance to get this right or you are going to speak to your solicitor or contact the MTAQ or Australia LPG Assoc.
By the way, who did the conversion? Let us all know so we know not to deal with them.

I would double check the way the coolant lines are connected. I would think they got this right surely.

This is only a rough picture that I found but see that the coolant lines must be connected with T pieces in the heater hoses. I used 2 * 3/4" t pieces on my ef with 3/4" hoses going into my converter but you can get 3/4" - 3/8" t pieces and just use 3/8" heater hoses to the converter, its up to you.
on the au factory gas they used 3/8" hoses but BA/BF, ford used the big hoses.

As long as that is ok I'd check the thermostat. He shouldve charged you for a new thermostat and installed it. Check your invoice this could save you removing it as it's probably already done.
If not, buy an AU LPG thermostat from ford and put it in.
Did he also change your spark plugs to one heat range colder and changed the plug gaps to 0.8mm? I used BPR6EY.

Stalling can also be caused by a bad connection or leak with the balance pipe between the converter and airbox. does your car have one? the fitting inside the airbox should be facing toward the incoming airflow to compensate for the ram air effect while driving.

This is all the basics.
Can you post up a picture of under your bonnet?

Post subject: Thermostat
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

No it wasn't changed by the way. Thermostat. But mentioned on this latest repair it may need adjusting, whatever that means.

I had top quality plugs iridium ($240) plus quality new leads put in to avoid issues. I wasn't aware of thermostat.

thanks.

I'll try to post a pic under bonnet next couple of days. Think hoses OK.

BTW been back again for repair. A lose solanoid earth was commented on, but I am a bit sceptical. Hoping though that it may be the prob. In the last three weeks it has been back twice and lose wires twice.

7 months and counting. I find it astounding, the gas conversion from hell.

Not all repairers fault. The mechanic has not on any occasion pushed us away. 3 faulty parts from Sprint gas to date. I suspect Sprint gas kit is most the problem. AFTER THE 2ND CONVERTER WE GOT A 1000 KM'S OF GREAT TROUBLE FREE DRIVING. That's the best we have got. This is why I suspect crappy parts.

Sprint main office are blaming bad gas for 2500 Km's of driving on gas. We are lucky that our fitter hasn't given up on us. IF WORST COMES TO WORSE I'LL GO TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT AND GET THE WHOLE KIT TAKEN OUT AND REFUNDED.

Leaking filler
Faulty computer gauge
2nd Converter. First fault - Unidentified first fault(Car Breaking Down- 2nd fault -Diaphragm-Gas in coolant-after first repair.
2nd converter could be faulty. A spring inside has been repaired twice as under load it sounds like a sewing machine about to spit the dummy.
Gas in cooling system again maybe. Possibly twice with bubbles on odd occasion in overflow bottle on gas only.
We cannot put our foot on foot rest on the left as gas computer wires hang down and no solution by fitter. he has tied up the best he can. One repair was put down to ourselves catching main gas computer wire with foot. A HELL OF A WAY TO DRIVE I MUST SAY.

I went to Sprint Gas because it was an Aussie Company.

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

just use cable ties and tie the wires as high as you can.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]