Fordmods Logo

lpg mixer 

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: lpg mixer
Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

hi

is it possible to bore out a lpg mixer ring as in make the air intake hole bigger so its not so restricted

Post subject: Re: lpg mixer
Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

No it's not.

BUT Not all mixers are equal. What have you currently got fitted? I'm sure I would be able to help you improve on what you have without causing tuning/drivability issues with LPG system.

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Take some photos and measurements of what there.

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I'm interested in this one too.. Has any car mag or anyone else done a test to see what the least restrictive mixers are? My mixer seems considerably less restrictive than the one in my wifes EF wagon.

I was looking at the wifes EF and the intake has a section of the intake where it becomes two smaller hoses.. was wondering if two smaller mixers would perform the same job with less restriction than the single big one.

Also wondering if those mixes on ebay that have a venturi in them work well?

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Its pretty well known that the least restrictive mixers (of this type) are the Airod Variable mixer. It opens up under airflow to increase the mixer size.

Also no longer made. Those who have them... know they have them. $160 for one used if you can pry it out of the owners hand.

There is the BLOS on ebay. Getting reasonable reviews - similar in that its a variable venturi carb.

In terms of the standard "factory style" ones - I believe the v8 ones are a 44mm opening. Im not sure, but I once heard a rumour that the i6 ones might actually be larger. The issue with larger isnt that they wont flow - its that they dont develop enough vacuum at low revs to control the converter.

I cant comment/compare with Impco on this.

Nigel

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Nigel wrote:
Its pretty well known that the least restrictive mixers (of this type) are the Airod Variable mixer. It opens up under airflow to increase the mixer size.

Also no longer made. Those who have them... know they have them. $160 for one used if you can pry it out of the owners hand.

There is the BLOS on ebay. Getting reasonable reviews - similar in that its a variable venturi carb.

In terms of the standard "factory style" ones - I believe the v8 ones are a 44mm opening. Im not sure, but I once heard a rumour that the i6 ones might actually be larger. The issue with larger isnt that they wont flow - its that they dont develop enough vacuum at low revs to control the converter.

Nigel

Do you mean this thing: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BLOS-Propane-Carburetor-LPG-Carb-Mixer-Better-Performance-and-Mileage-/221027429095?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337642eae7

Looks pretty cool. is the vaporiser they talk about just the converter? ( I suppose the name gives it away but better to ask)

I'll have to check if mine is one of the approved ones.. I might be interested in getting one of these.
If I have the right converter, I think I'll get one today. It means that the mixer bypass I had created is now irrelevant, but I can put my mixer and the bypass into the wifes EF anyway.

I also have a module that dynamically advances the timing on gas too.. between the two of them I should have a good system. Wonder how these things compare to Gas Research stuff.

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Which module do you have to advance the timing? I've been wanting one for my el

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Nigel wrote:

Nigel

The problem is they are not all the same. I've seen everything from 35mm to 45mm fitted to falcons. Then the shape of the venturi will be different and some of them are simply an orifice with no venturi. That is the problem. A s**t design needs to be restrictive to work. A good design can be larger and still work at lower RPM. The Impco argument is pointless. They still flow no better then well designed correctly sized mixer ring/s.

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

tickford_6

When yoy going to start playing with the BLOS mixer :D

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Nigel wrote:
Which module do you have to advance the timing? I've been wanting one for my el

It's an Italian AEB gold master TAP module. It is listed as their model for TFI ignitions.

I got really lucky and won it on Ebay for 36 dollars shipped.
I got it from this guy:
http://myworld.ebay.com.au/astro_lad He doesn't seem to be selling anything at the moment but you can always ask him.

cheers

Frank

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

DO you have the model number? - did you notice the difference

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Nigel wrote:
DO you have the model number? - did you notice the difference

The instructions say it's a model 533.. and I don't know how much difference it makes yet because it's sitting in front of me on my desk.

The instructions are pretty simple.. you have the normal power, one wire to the TPS module so it doesn't advance at idle, one wire for the TFI signal and one to the gas / petrol switch.

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

RIghto. According to what Ive just read - now supersceded by the Puma (Gives me some hope). Mind you, Im also considering a J3 chip to advance it as well

Thanks

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
tickford_6

When you going to start playing with the BLOS mixer :D

I've just written to him to ask if either of my converters are suitable..

If he answers and they are compatible I will buy one right now. :-)

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Either of those converters would work.
The instructions are poorly translated into English, but you get the general idea of what you need to do.
The only thing you'll have an issue with is that the instruction are basic around an out the box BRC converter, they tell you to screw the idle screw right in and leave the sensitivity as set by manufacturer. I'd say there might be a bit of mucking around finding the sweet spot for the sensitivity screw on other converters like you Zavoli and OMVL ones.

I'd hazard a guess that you would start by screwing the idle right in and getting the car idle by screw the sensitivity screw out using the old ring, then fitting the blos.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next