Fordmods Logo

miss fireing 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: miss fireing
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

alright ill get all the elecrical problems out of the way tomorow and ill be back on same time tomorow.

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
I've never had good results with Bosch and LPG.
I've run Bosch plugs (std 1.0mm gap) and leads on my cars for many years on LPG, and TBH, I've been pretty happy with them.
Every 10000 km, the leads do get cleaned, and the plugs cleaned and gapped (if needed) - in fact the plugs stay pretty clean, and don't wear very much at all.
What were your issues, miss/crossfires, plugs breaking down, etc ??

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

snap0964 wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
I've never had good results with Bosch and LPG.
I've run Bosch plugs (std 1.0mm gap) and leads on my cars for many years on LPG, and TBH, I've been pretty happy with them.
Every 10000 km, the leads do get cleaned, and the plugs cleaned and gapped (if needed) - in fact the plugs stay pretty clean, and don't wear very much at all.
What were your issues, miss/crossfires, plugs breaking down, etc ??

The leads would cross fire/leak to earth in under 10 000km, The plugs in general seem to have a higher 'dead out of the box' rate. I use Denso plugs now, very rarely is one DOA and I keep standard fitment and LPG fitment in stock so I don't need to regap.

Leads has been long journey, I used to use Topgun, then started having problems with boots not sealing and terminals coming off. The Bosch leads have been great on petrol only engines and I wouldn't hesitate to use them if i couldn't get Eagles.

Spent a few years doing performance stuff and i've used Eagles upto 600hp with MSD 7 series CDI and they hold up well considering the abuse they get in that environment. Beyond that I used to custom make the leads with MSD gear.
Which is why my car currently has topguns with MSD terminals and boots.

I guess after while you fall into 'I used to have trouble with Brand X, and Brand Y has been great' so you stick with what has worked.

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:20 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

wild-el wrote:
why is my el xr6 miss firing on gas?? wen i've got her on petrol runs fine but wen she's on gas and im stopped on a set of lights i need to put it back to neutral as it vibrates thru the car in drive..any ideas??

just a thought, i noticed in another one of your threads you have said your running a pod filter because the airbox blew up or something along those lines..
what did you do with the balance pipe that normally runs to the airbox or snorkle??

this might be part of your problem??

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I have an AU at here today that is fine on petrol and missfires at idle on gas but seems fine on gas when accelorating. It has a leaking intake manifold gasket causing no:1 cylinder to go lean at idle.

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
I guess after while you fall into 'I used to have trouble with Brand X, and Brand Y has been great' so you stick with what has worked.
Well in your line of work where you do go through/fit a lot of this gear, it pays to do that, rather than spend your time on warranty jobs.

I guess I've applied that too, stuck with Bosch for many years - but obviously I don't have the turn around that you have, so maybe their reliability compared to other brands over a bigger picture/bigger useage may not be good.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

snap0964 wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
Well in your line of work where you do go through/fit a lot of this gear, it pays to do that, rather than spend your time on warranty jobs.

I guess I've applied that too, stuck with Bosch for many years - but obviously I don't have the turn around that you have, so maybe their reliability compared to other brands over a bigger picture/bigger useage may not be good.

I've stopped using Ryco oil filters now too, Had a heap of them leak where the end cap is crimped onto the can.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2