mixer at intake end of crosspipe and isn't working properly 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: mixer at intake end of crosspipe and isn't working properly
Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

Because the mixer i had to play with is designed to be fitted as part of the intake tubing rather than inside of it, i placed it at the intake end of the crosspipe, but it's not working properly. The lpg system was working fine before, so i figure the problem is the way i have configured it.

What is happenning is that if i press the accelerator very slowly i get smooth acceleration, but if i am not very slow with the accelerator the engine splutters. If i press the accelerator quickly to a certain point then hold it there, if the engine doesn't stall it will very slowly accelerate until it reaches the appropriate engine speed for that level of throttle opening.

I figure what is happenning is that when the throttle butterfly is opened the air to fuel ratio is out-of-whack until the extra lpg finally arrives. During the out-of-whack phase the ecu may be trying to sort things out as best as it is able, and then when the extra lpg arrives it will have to re-orientate again.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:38 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ed futura classic straight gas

VIC, Australia

gday sounds like you may need to fit the mixer closer to your throttle body, sounds like it may not be getting enough draw for the converter to respond.

gas is not only for BBQ's
ed build in progress
351 stroker 12.5:1 comp straight gas
3.9:1 diff gears and various other mods

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

is it the one that goes *inside* the joiner on the ef?- You may have too much air flowing around the outside of the mixer hence leaning out?

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

I've learnt a few things.

I learnt that when running on lpg my car was also using petrol, in fact, much more petrol than when the car is run on petrol. I think the petrol is what was causing the acceleration problem. I disconnected the injectors and ran the car on lpg and it revved and accelerated beautifully (except for another problem i will mention later). So i need to work out why the car was using petrol?

I have been told that if the car starts on lpg, and it does, then there is enough draw to make the converter run, and therefore the mixer position is okay.

It has also been pointed out to me that i should not have placed the rocker cover breather into the throttle body, because lpg can end up in the rocker cover and explode the rocker cover. I was told it should be routed into the airbox. My XG breather is mounted into the airbox, whereas my EB was previously routed into the mixer. Since there is a brass fitting on the mixer i plan to route the breather into that? I don't know if this change will change the running on lpg?

The only problem i have noticed when running on lpg with the injectors disconnected is that when i deccelerate, particularly when i have pressed the brake for about 2 to 3 seconds, the engine stalls. I have fiddled with one of the knobs on the converter but the problem remained. I have since had pointed out to me an adjustment screw on the converter with a + and - sign on it. It's kind of easy to miss. So i can play with this and see what happens? Otherwise maybe the mixer position is not in fact okay?

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]