Fordmods Logo

Newly installed Impco, cold start issue 

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Newly installed Impco, cold start issue
Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

10 days ago I got my 99 fairmont installed a Impco in Gas Man. When the car is running, this system is excellent. However, I got cold start issue with gas.

If the car sat there for a long time, say the first time in the morning or after sitting for some hours, it is very difficult to start. It takes near 10 second, or I have to start twice. Once the car is stared, turn it off, it can be started very quickly.

This does not have happen with petrol. Even I used petrol to run for some time to make car warm, then shift to gas, this issue still happensed.

It is weird, and I went back to shop, the guy told me this is a normal thing after openning the bonnet and did a quick setting. He said this will getting better. But I feel a little bit dubitable about it.

So I just want to ask, is this a normal phenomenon? Will it getting better by itself after some time without doing anything?

Post subject: Re: Newly installed Impco, cold start issue
Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Two comments : 1. That is fairly normal, can be dependant on Manifold Style, Distance from Mixer to the Valves, and like you noticed, how long since last driven.
However : 2. The Gas Man. please check and make sure that your car was converted properly. I had mine done there after recommendations and it is the worst LPG Conversion in 6 so far.

In my case, the Rocker Breather was plumbed into the factory location. It needs to be moved to the fresh air side of the mixer : otherwise the crankcase can blow (up). The Factory Port for the crank breather on the throttle body needs to be blocked off

I also had very large problems with Voltage Drop from the Engine to Body and Battery, meaning the O2 Sensor provided out of range signals that the LPG Computer couldnt work with. I returned the car to them 3 times and lost 3 days work giving them the benefit of the doubt then fixed it myself.

Nigel

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Always start on petrol and switch over to LPG when its near operating temp and it takes longer to start as its purging.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:21 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

What you've described is pretty much std issue with cold starts on LPG only. Dedicated LPG systems can have a primer.
The Impco systems I've seen have a petrol start unit - it has an adjuster to vary how long petrol stays on during an LPG start (switch is selected to LPG).
I looks like a small black box, with connections to earth, the Petrol setting of the Fuel select switch, and to the starter solenoid line. It has CP66 marked on it, from memory.

Nigel wrote:
The Gas Man. please check and make sure that your car was converted properly. I had mine done there after recommendations and it is the worst LPG Conversion in 6 so far.
Wonder if a petrol start unit has been fitted . . :?:

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:56 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
Always start on petrol and switch over to LPG when its near operating temp and it takes longer to start as its purging.

My issue has nothing to do with petrol.
I tried to use petrol 20km, after that it was still the same when switch to LPG. :shock:

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

fzulwr wrote:
I tried to use petrol 20km, after that it was still the same when switch to LPG. :shock:
So why don't you add all the info you think is relevant in your first post, so we don't need to spend many posts trying to guess it all.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

When driving at about 1300rpm hit the switch to lpg and make sure ur on a flat road and it will take about 5 seconds to switch over, and u may have a little splatter from exhaust from the change over.

Do the same when ur stationary and in nutral and u will expierence the same

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:41 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
fzulwr wrote:
So why don't you add all the info you think is relevant in your first post, so we don't need to spend many posts trying to guess it all.

In my first post, I said " Even I used petrol to run for some time to make car warm, then shift to gas, this issue still happensed." Maybe I did not provide enough details :D

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:48 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
When driving at about 1300rpm hit the switch to lpg and make sure ur on a flat road and it will take about 5 seconds to switch over, and u may have a little splatter from exhaust from the change over.

Do the same when ur stationary and in nutral and u will expierence the same

Sorry I don't understand, gas and petrol can be switched dynamically?
They fixed a button on my car, this button is switched up the car uses gas, the button is switch down the car uses petrol, if the button stays in the middle, the car can not be started. They told me i can not switch the button when the car is driving, which will cause backfire. So I leave the button on the gas normally.

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Nigel wrote:
Two comments : 1. That is fairly normal, can be dependant on Manifold Style, Distance from Mixer to the Valves, and like you noticed, how long since last driven.
However : 2. The Gas Man. please check and make sure that your car was converted properly. I had mine done there after recommendations and it is the worst LPG Conversion in 6 so far.

In my case, the Rocker Breather was plumbed into the factory location. It needs to be moved to the fresh air side of the mixer : otherwise the crankcase can blow (up). The Factory Port for the crank breather on the throttle body needs to be blocked off

I also had very large problems with Voltage Drop from the Engine to Body and Battery, meaning the O2 Sensor provided out of range signals that the LPG Computer couldnt work with. I returned the car to them 3 times and lost 3 days work giving them the benefit of the doubt then fixed it myself.

Nigel

I thought they have good reputation......

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Sorry I don't understand, gas and petrol can be switched dynamically?
They fixed a button on my car, this button is switched up the car uses gas, the button is switch down the car uses petrol, if the button stays in the middle, the car can not be started. They told me i can not switch the button when the car is driving, which will cause backfire. So I leave the button on the gas normally.[/quote]

Maybe they used a different button/switch and lpg processor than mine but yes i can drive and switch it over no issue at all.

Take a pic of ur install and switch in ur cabin so we have an idea what was used

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

fzulwr wrote:
In my first post, I said " Even I used petrol to run for some time to make car warm, then shift to gas, this issue still happensed." Maybe I did not provide enough details :D
You haven't - You need to make clear at what settings the fuel select s/w is at, when you crank the car, and when.
fzulwr wrote:
Once the car is stared, turn it off, it can be started very quickly.
Again, not enough info (switching, etc) - I read into this that it contradicts the other info.

Not having a go at you, but it makes it difficult to advise anything - you need to bear in mind when you're writing this, that we can't see what you see, so any bit of info, albeit trivial, can help.

Other thing is, you need to pursue the installer, and get them to fix the issue, and let us know how you go. Probably a good idea if you have a regular mechanic, or someone who does your rego checks, is to ask them for their opinion on this.

And yes, you can switch over on the run - best to do whilst coasting (no load on the drivetrain), no one directly behind you also. Keep the revs up to fast idle as mentioned, no revving, blipping throttle, and you should be fine - I've never experienced a backfire doing this.

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

switch button

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
fzulwr wrote:
You haven't - You need to make clear at what settings the fuel select s/w is at, when you crank the car, and when.
fzulwr wrote:
Once the car is stared, turn it off, it can be started very quickly.
Again, not enough info (switching, etc) - I read into this that it contradicts the other info.

Not having a go at you, but it makes it difficult to advise anything - you need to bear in mind when you're writing this, that we can't see what you see, so any bit of info, albeit trivial, can help.

Other thing is, you need to pursue the installer, and get them to fix the issue, and let us know how you go. Probably a good idea if you have a regular mechanic, or someone who does your rego checks, is to ask them for their opinion on this.

And yes, you can switch over on the run - best to do whilst coasting (no load on the drivetrain), no one directly behind you also. Keep the revs up to fast idle as mentioned, no revving, blipping throttle, and you should be fine - I've never experienced a backfire doing this.

Thank you for your advice. I post some pics.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next