Fordmods Logo

NF Fairlane 4.0l LPG snorkel 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: NF Fairlane 4.0l LPG snorkel
Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:09 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

Hi all. I noticed that the snorkel has a large hole cut into it just before the air box. I was given a standard snorkel by the fella that sold me the car but he said the hole may be there for a reason. Anyway I fitted the standard snorkel and the car dies coming into corners or roundabouts. Refitted the snorkel with the large hole and all is well.

What kind of snorkel can I fit to avoid hot air being sucked in from the engine bay and also not have the car stall during deceleration?

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Got a picture? what system are you running? what is condition of air filter?

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

I think that the hole that you are talking about is for you balance pipe. This is where they usually go to. Do you have a pipe that goes from you converter to the airbox?
If you don't have this, then you should fit one. Jugding by yuor comment, the fact that the car is stalling through corners, and on hills etc would indicate that this pipe is missing. I noticed with my EF that if I removed the intake snorkel, the balance pipe did not need to be connected. When the snorkel was fitted, the pipe needed to be in place. This could be the same thing that you are talking about.

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Post subject: Thanks for the reply
Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:12 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

I'm not sure what system I have but the converter is made in Italy. I will look into it further this weekend. I don't have a balance pipe from the converter to the airbox so it sounds like that could be the problem. Do others just run a standard snorkel on LPG models? Thanks for the responses and I'll get back toyou about the brand of system I have.

Cheers

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

My OMVL system has a balance pipe to the airbox, and has a normal snorkel.

My Airod system doesn't have a balance pipe to my recollection (although it does have a pipe that i was told is for venting gas to prevent or minimise backfire, i think this is different, but not totally sure).

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:23 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

A balance pipe only needs a small hole, enough to give the converter a small pressure to compensate for the ram-air effect of the snorkel. A large hole cut into a Falcon's snorkel would most likely be an attempt to make use of the high-pressure zone behind the headlight, increasing the ram-air effect. If your car runs fine without a balance pipe, this obviously hasn't worked. The complete opposite in fact, it's venting the ram air LOL.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:24 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Falcon

WA, Australia

im running an OMVL system on my ef and i have the balance line connected to the airbox and i also have a hole (about 2" diameter) cut out of the snorkel. dont know why but car runs fine.

Post subject: Finally have some details
Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:17 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

The system is as follows:

Renzo Landi converter, Gastec FP30 gas comp and an APA A86F tank.

I have included some photos of the snorkel with hole and the converter. Does the balance line go to the yellow or green circled ports?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Finally have some details
Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:59 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

alfy12 wrote:
The system is as follows:

Renzo Landi converter, Gastec FP30 gas comp and an APA A86F tank.

I have included some photos of the snorkel with hole and the converter. Does the balance line go to the yellow or green circled ports?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]