Overfilling 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Overfilling
Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

I just got my EBII runnning again and filled it with LPG. Except it seems to have been overfilled and i'm trying to work out why.

There was a small amount left in the tank, and after putting in 61L there was a click and the rate of gas flow reduced markedly. But while normally it stops, in this case it kept trickling in. I waited to see if it would stop but it kept going at about the same rate. So i walked into the shop and they said 'let it go it will stop when it's done'. But it got to 70L and i checked the tank guage and it read about 20% over the "F" mark. The "F" mark is 80% full. So presumably the tank was near 100%. I couldn't see the rated tank volume but i reckon it wouldn't be more than 80L.

As far as i understand there is a blow off valve so there won't be an explosion. So i should use it before hotter weather comes along or it will be wasted.

My thinking is either:
- my tank should have shut off the intake which would have then shut off the pump
- the pump should turn off at a certain pressure and didn't
- both of the above

Any answers?

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:25 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Falcon RTV

QLD, Australia

I would say the automatic cut off may not be working correctly, as you said you heard a click.I find that once a pump starts doing 1c 1c, just hang it up.Sometimes I recon its the weather, that is tank temperatures etc., The pump won't turn off because its a pump and relies on the automatic cut off.The best idea if you know what it holds or you expect to put in just stop at that amount.That's why there is no catches on them any more.

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

eagleaus wrote:
I would say the automatic cut off may not be working correctly, as you said you heard a click.I find that once a pump starts doing 1c 1c, just hang it up.Sometimes I recon its the weather, that is tank temperatures etc., The pump won't turn off because its a pump and relies on the automatic cut off.The best idea if you know what it holds or you expect to put in just stop at that amount.That's why there is no catches on them any more.

This pump nozzle had a catch. Are you saying the tank is meant to have an auto cut off and mine must not be working properly?

My current thinking is i don't mind really, as it seems i have the option of 80% fill, or more. As long as it doesn't blow off, the more the merrier, perhaps, living in a remote area anyway.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Post subject: Re: Overfilling
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:06 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: EF fairmont + upgrades

VIC, Australia

you may of gotten a richer mix of butane gas in the automix or you tank might not be sitting rite, if you have a APA tank in the boot use a small level on the inspection cover to make sure it is level otherwise the autofill locator (AFL) wont work

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
I just got my EBII runnning again and filled it with LPG. Except it seems to have been overfilled and i'm trying to work out why.

There was a small amount left in the tank, and after putting in 61L there was a click and the rate of gas flow reduced markedly. But while normally it stops, in this case it kept trickling in. I waited to see if it would stop but it kept going at about the same rate. So i walked into the shop and they said 'let it go it will stop when it's done'. But it got to 70L and i checked the tank guage and it read about 20% over the "F" mark. The "F" mark is 80% full. So presumably the tank was near 100%. I couldn't see the rated tank volume but i reckon it wouldn't be more than 80L.

As far as i understand there is a blow off valve so there won't be an explosion. So i should use it before hotter weather comes along or it will be wasted.

My thinking is either:
- my tank should have shut off the intake which would have then shut off the pump
- the pump should turn off at a certain pressure and didn't
- both of the above

Any answers?

need a rotisserie for a classic resto 0471525912 Tom

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]