Fordmods Logo

"performance" mixer rings vs twin throttle body 

 

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

 
Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 19

Joined: 7th Oct 2008

Ride: AU2 ute

Location: keysborough
VIC, Australia

AUXR8 2 wrote:
AU2TUFF wrote:
He used to get them from MED and use them on Impco kits ... made a hell of a difference indeed ... as the throttle opened more the mixer opened up more due to vacuum ... giving a larger opening prior to the throttle body ... increasing top-end immensely.
.


A mixer ring is used with a positive feed convertor Impco convertors are all negative fed, unless he's modified the prime plunger on the impco convertor as to adjust the idle you cannt use them, the diamiter of the ring is a set size as the convertor requires a signal the idea of a variable mixer is as sly has now to keep a constant signal to the convertor from idle to WOT making the convertor work & deliver max flow of gas, & the cam that MECH1 (Simon) has was one of my first AU LPG cams that I made.....

Joe

that quote there was what simon posted in a thread of mine but i dont think that was in regards to you. he did mention something about a mechanic having a mixer that he wanted to get made i figured it was you. i don't really have much of an idea but i do know that you need the the restriction for the gas flow and im also certain thats whats holding me back. but now that your here joe your opinion will certainly be valued. so do you know if the mixer sly has will be perfect for my application? do you have any other advice you can give me? i have shot off a message to gasresearch aus and am waiting for a reply. they have a variety of throttle bodies and the knowledge.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:31 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 708

Joined: 9th Nov 2004

Ride: Falcon

Location: Liverpool
NSW, Australia

AU2TUFF wrote:
AUXR8 2 wrote:
AU2TUFF wrote:

that quote there was what simon posted in a thread of mine but i dont think that was in regards to you. he did mention something about a mechanic having a mixer that he wanted to get made i figured it was you. i don't really have much of an idea but i do know that you need the the restriction for the gas flow and im also certain thats whats holding me back. but now that your here joe your opinion will certainly be valued. so do you know if the mixer sly has will be perfect for my application? do you have any other advice you can give me? i have shot off a message to gasresearch aus and am waiting for a reply. they have a variety of throttle bodies and the knowledge.

Both the GRA mixers & the air rod variable mixer are good in their own rights. The GRA mixer being a popular performance choice set up, but in saying that the variable mixer which I have used in many conversions mainly for the 5ltr engine where I have found minimal differences after Dyno-ing the engine from petrol to gas can be also used in a performance application. As I have suggested to Tony (aka Sly) he has found that the variable mixer has improved his performance after fitting, obviously fine tuning will be required to make it perfect for his application. My advise would be, if you can find a variable MED mixer & you have a positive fed converter it will work fine in your car, even with a slight cam & some head work. I have worked both on positive & negative feed systems but because of my long term experience with Fords I tend to favour positive fed systems.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 19

Joined: 7th Oct 2008

Ride: AU2 ute

Location: keysborough
VIC, Australia

ok i'm all confused now you say the impoc converter is negative fed, which is what i should have as it came from factory? but then you say you favor positive fed converters due to your allegance to the blue oval. is there something i've missed? my cam is just shy of being a speedway cam or so i am told by a couple sources. not sure exactly on the headwork as i was a litlte green when i got that done. well if there is minimal difference between petrol and gas by rights i should get quite good gains from this provided i can find one, any reccomendations as to where i should be looking?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 708

Joined: 9th Nov 2004

Ride: Falcon

Location: Liverpool
NSW, Australia

AU2TUFF wrote:
ok i'm all confused now you say the impoc converter is negative fed, which is what i should have as it came from factory? but then you say you favor positive fed converters due to your allegance to the blue oval. is there something i've missed? my cam is just shy of being a speedway cam or so i am told by a couple sources. not sure exactly on the headwork as i was a litlte green when i got that done. well if there is minimal difference between petrol and gas by rights i should get quite good gains from this provided i can find one, any reccomendations as to where i should be looking?


MED (airod) is a positive fed system, impco is a negative fed system..... from factory the AU's came with the Italian brand Viallie which is a positive fed system & if you have a speedway spec cam (which I dout) she would be running rough stalling at idle no power untill 3000rpm & ramps real quick & stops @6000rpm plus LPG requires different LSA & so on........ getting a variable mixer is a matter of serching around as SLY did, do you know what brand of convertor that you have on your car ???? as only then you can work out what mixer set up you can use..

Joe
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 19

Joined: 7th Oct 2008

Ride: AU2 ute

Location: keysborough
VIC, Australia

AUXR8 2 wrote:
MED (airod) is a positive fed system, impco is a negative fed system..... from factory the AU's came with the Italian brand Viallie which is a positive fed system & if you have a speedway spec cam (which I dout) she would be running rough stalling at idle no power untill 3000rpm & ramps real quick & stops @6000rpm plus LPG requires different LSA & so on........ getting a variable mixer is a matter of serching around as SLY did, do you know what brand of convertor that you have on your car ???? as only then you can work out what mixer set up you can use..
Joe

ok that makes more sense to me now i was under the impression impco was the ford standard somehow. i don't actually know what mine is but its supposed to be factory gas although it does not have the tickford plate that was supposed to go on all of fords factory gas vehicles.(or maybe just straight gas i'm not entirely sure)i will have a look though. well my cam is a wade 1645 and it isn't a speedway cam but it is supposed to be quite aggresive. and when i gave the company who machined my rocker arms the cam specs he said "thats not all "that" different from the cam in our speedway car" but mine is very flat below 3000rpm and it revs quickly to 4000rpm which, i think, is where the mixer is holding me back because it feels choked above 4,000. insaying this it is not as rough as i thought it would be at idle but at 900rpm it is still a little bit lumpy and i have drama's with it stalling on idle sometimes as it just won't always catch the revs when it drops into neutral. i'm not entirely sure this is directly related to the cam. i will have to start hunting around the local wreckers for one. but i am doubtful i will find one. cheers for all the info
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:51 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names