Fordmods Logo

"performance" mixer rings vs twin throttle body 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: "performance" mixer rings vs twin throttle body
Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU2 ute

VIC, Australia

im running a dedicated gas AU and im having trouble getting the power i should be getting out of the mods i've done, my cam makes power from 3,000rpm but it feels as though at about 4,000rpm it kind of plateau's and im not making any more power. the wheelspin i get in the 1st-2nd shift has impressed/scared a few :twisted:i am toying with the idea of a twin throttle body with two standard egas throttle bodies. ive done a litlte research and it seems a twin throttle body setup can work effectively. does anyone have any information on either setup or a gas tuner around melbourne that i can turn to for help?

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

interesting idea but how would u mount them?

also would u need 2 convertors for this to work?

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:47 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED Fairmont

WA, Australia

Can you enlighten me as to what exactly you mean re performance mixers?

Personally I am curious about these 'Amos' branded mixers from NZ, supposedly they are a 'performance' mixer but I have not heard much about them in the context of performance!

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

LPG requires a restriction in order for it to work. There's no way around it, unless you go injected.
As far as I remember the AU eGas setup has a fairly decent throttle body with the mixer built in. Simialr to GRAs (different design, but same concept). So I doubt a change in throttle body will improve it.

For the expense and hassle you'd be looking at for a custom manifold and twin throttle body set up and custom induction work your better off going injected and knowing that it'll work better...

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I dont think egas mixer is anything special just a normal ring mixer cast into the TB basically

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

well i know a member mechan1k had a different mixer ring and his ute was making some pretty decent power for a mostly unmodified egas. i think it was 117rwkw with exhaust mild cam and this mixer ring. well a second throttle body setups was done for around $600 and that was on a petrol ba all wired up very professionally for the second one to open with the butterflies in the BBM. the current mixer ring is a huge restriction, which i know is how it works but the throttle body size drops to probably 35mm in dia. it looks as though its pressed into the throttle body not a casting. i have no idea as to whether you would need a second or a larger converter but at a guess i would think the standard converter should be up to the task. i don't think an injected system would compare in price to the $600 maybe $800 of a custom second throttle body. apprently it really roared when sucking the air in. an injecxtion system would need an ecu which will then need a custom tune anyway to suit my mods the injection rail a different manifold and considering the ute is already on gas i won't be getting any rebates for it.

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

found the info he posted about his mixer ring, although now i'm not sure if he actually got it put in.

True indeed ... I am looking at getting a new mixer ring put in.
My mechanic has a variable vane mixer sitting on his bench in the office ... now he needs to find someone who can make a heap of them cheap so he can sell them.

He used to get them from MED and use them on Impco kits ... made a hell of a difference indeed ... as the throttle opened more the mixer opened up more due to vacuum ... giving a larger opening prior to the throttle body ... increasing top-end immensely.

Last vehicle i saw one of these on was an AU Fairmont wagon V8 ... converted to LPG ... it made another 10rwkw more than petrol with the variable mixer in place .... and it drove sooo good .... no strangled top-end.

This is another thing on my to-do list for the ute ... but only when they become available.

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:52 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

I have one of these. It opens up to have almost double the cross-sectional area of the standard Sprintgas 42mm mixer. Only cost me $50 too...

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

sly wrote:
I have one of these. It opens up to have almost double the cross-sectional area of the standard Sprintgas 42mm mixer. Only cost me $50 too...

do u have a pic of it?

what brand is it?

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

I have a thread devoted to it... pics here... http://www.fordmods.com/forums/post884516.html#884516 :P

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

gogetta wrote:
sly wrote:

do u have a pic of it?

what brand is it?
as in his mods-Airod variable-venturi mixer... ,i guess

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yep that would be it...kinda got lost in all the other stuff

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

so where did you get this from? that was the same looking one i saw on awebsite an i emailed them but they said i would be better off finding something else, maybe theirs was smaller or a different setup. if your having dramas with your just as it turns to boost maybe for us NA guys it could be just what we are looking for for that extra punch up top am following up on a lead somewher ein dandenong more updates tomorrow!

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:25 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

All in the thread 3 posts up... I got one s/h from a bloke who bought an assortment of almost 30 on ebay. The Airod was the one out of the whole lot that he didn't have a use for.

There should be some in wreckers by now, but the wreckers I spoke to weren't very helpful. I'd ask around the LPG fitters near you. Sooner or later someone will come in with an LPG system they got cheap from a wrecker and want it fitted. If you're offering to buy a new ordinary mixer to exchange for any Airod that comes in such a s/h kit, the gas fitter might call you. Perhaps offer a slab as a spotters fee as well.

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

AU2TUFF wrote:
He used to get them from MED and use them on Impco kits ... made a hell of a difference indeed ... as the throttle opened more the mixer opened up more due to vacuum ... giving a larger opening prior to the throttle body ... increasing top-end immensely.

A mixer ring is used with a positive feed convertor Impco convertors are all negative fed, unless he's modified the prime plunger on the impco convertor as to adjust the idle you cannt use them, the diamiter of the ring is a set size as the convertor requires a signal the idea of a variable mixer is as sly has now to keep a constant signal to the convertor from idle to WOT making the convertor work & deliver max flow of gas, & the cam that MECH1 (Simon) has was one of my first AU LPG cams that I made.....

Joe

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next