Rip Off LPG 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Rip Off LPG
Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 08 BF Ghia

VIC, Australia

I Just went on a recent trip up the south coast NSW and was shocked to see what a RIP OFF LPG was. Cann River in Vic had it for 69.9, cross the border into NSW and Eden, Bega, Batemans Bay 87.9. Lots of NSW stations dont even sell it. Went inland towards Canberra and 80ks out a town called Berrigan 90.0! I got to Canberra and it was between 57.9-66.9. How can they justify robbing people like that. Fuel pre tax is only around 80cpl at the moment so how can LPG be anywhere near that price. Someone is really greedy :evil:

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR8 347

Power: 232 rwkw

WA, Australia

i remember when people were complaining of petrol being that expensive lol. Times have changed so much. It's called "If someone will pay that price, someone will sell at that price" And with fuel, people will buy it regardless of how expensive.

347 XR8 Build Thread

Post subject: its ridiculous
Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xe s pack

VIC, Australia

if gas hits 90c litre no better than getttin petrol
i think it was said that gas burns %20 more than petrol. :?

most times gotta hate electronics.

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:01 am 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

LPG needs to be less than half the price of petrol to notice any real difference in the pocket. If the system has already paid itself off, this gap can close a little bit.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

can i ask why is LPG creeping up in price?, when it has nothing to do with petrol or oil? (don't know alot about the two)

- Ash

Sucessful trades with Schmee, Braidy, Niko, The_Ghost, YBHVE4, Stalker

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

Hybrid34 wrote:
can i ask why is LPG creeping up in price?, when it has nothing to do with petrol or oil? (don't know alot about the two)

- Ash

The Australian Government and its f**k up LPG excise tax. :evil: :evil: :evil:

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:23 am 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

There are some other factors though.. the cost of distributing the LPG to service stations is continues to rise due to the increasing cost of diesel fuel for the trucks. It also continues to be driven up in line with inflation.

Also that annoying economics principal, supply and demand is another issue - there are more and more LPG vehicles on the road every day, which means an increase in LPG demands.

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Waggin wrote:

Also that annoying economics principal, supply and demand is another issue - there are more and more LPG vehicles on the road every day, which means an increase in LPG demands.

Shoudln't it be cheaper in that case? If there are more users the cost should be lower? (As its not something that isn'ti n big use if that makes sense)

I also heard that LPG is a bi-product of Petrol, is that true?
- Ash

Sucessful trades with Schmee, Braidy, Niko, The_Ghost, YBHVE4, Stalker

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

LPG is a byproduct of the refining process of crude oil, as is petrol, diesel, bitumen, kerosene etc etc..
hence the price is directly related to the price of crude oil... sure inflation and transport costs and of course government greed all play their part..

-mitch

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

Hybrid34 wrote:
Waggin wrote:

Shoudln't it be cheaper in that case? If there are more users the cost should be lower? (As its not something that isn'ti n big use if that makes sense)

I also heard that LPG is a bi-product of Petrol, is that true?
- Ash

As demand rises, prices go up - assuming the amount supplied stays the same (which currently is the case). For them to supply more LPG, they need to be refining more oil, which as we've heared recently isn't going to happen.

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Lpg is not only a by product of oil refining. It's propane gas, and in car's it's mixed with butane to form " autogas ".

Government & fuel company greed is driving the price, not to mention the LPG rebate has to be paid for some how! Inflation in LPG prices is just beyond stupid, especially when they should be keeping the price down due to environmental reasons compared to petrol. I converted my EB to LPG Injection back in 2004, when lpg was around $0.30.9 cpl, now look at the price! Floating around $0.60.9 cpl in the bigger center's. How's that for inflation? 100% inflation in 4 years.

The price of a barrel of crude oil has come down a lot, petrol prices are down from mid $1.65's to at times $1.40 ( and it should be a further $0.20 cpl cheaper IF we believe the oil companies arguments regarding the price of a barrel of oil in relation to price per liter of petrol!

Those barrels of oil which help produce some LPG have come down in price, why o why has the cost of LPG not really come down in price? Petrol has! Talk about being taken for a ride.

At the end of it all, i'm glad i'm running on LPG, and usually only need 5 - 10lts a week of petrol to start the car with, because i'm saving about $5,000 a year in fuel costs, i do a lot of milage. In essence i turned a $3146 inc gst conversion ( with no rebate at the time ) into already more than $20,000 in savings. Not a bad investment. But that still leaves me p****d off about the inflation of the price.

My wages have not gone up anywhere near that amount in 4 years!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Post subject: Re: Rip Off LPG
Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

I was under the impression that there is currently NO government excise levied on LPG, but that one will be phased in from 2011. Starting at 2.5c/litre and stepping up over about 5 years to 12.5c/litre. If prices are high, it's the fuel companies' fault, not the government.

Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

speaking of which...

it was not that long ago (here in my small country town) when I was paying $1.5x for caltex vortex and diesel was in the $1.7x

The other day vortex was $1.29 /L and normal fuel was $1.20 and diesel $1.19... Where it should be too being less refined than fuel... cheaper...

Thats a massive drop in what 6 months? 12 months?

It really is crap...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Well the price of a barrel of oil has dropped dramatically in the last couple of months. Even the price of a cubic tonne of lpg has dropped as well. Yet LPG is still around $0.43.9cpl and has been sitting around that price for a while around where i live. Lpg doesn't move much compared to petrol, usually taking ages to drop in price.

Atleast i can say i'm not getting screwed by the price of petrol. I'd much rather pay $40 a tank of juice than $80 - $120!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:52 pm 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

i know what u mean. i drove from Melbourne to Qld and back in Feb and went from 45c up to 75c its crazy but they have u by the balls

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next