Fordmods Logo

Show us your gas injection 

Page 5 of 11 [ 164 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

Post subject: Re: Show us your gas injection
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Yeah, thanks for that - I spoke to Mick today (who supplied the kits), and 600mm is what he said as well.
The line does come along the passenger floor, and up the firewall, and along the firewall to the drivers side, last clip is at the firewall near the brake booster.
There is a tang on the lockoff filter, so I can bracket it to the strut tower, and I should be able to rotate the lockoff to have the filter at 45 deg.
Mick did say the lockoff filter orientation wasn't absolutely critical, but obviously it traps crap from the liquid phase, so the more gravity helps it, the better.

Hi Snap, love your work mate.

My standards book is in a hard to get to place at the moment, but from memory 600mm is the maximum and 300mm is the recommended, there is a little bit more to the lock-off, unless they have changed they use a very low tension spring, gravity played more than to it than just filtering, the reason I mentioned the lock-off bracket is the load on the fitting joining it to the converter, at least it is probable to cause the fitting to leak, at worse it could cause something to break.

I am a licenced LPG mechanic, but this was done 18yrs ago, I have been out of that game long ago, only from reading standards book (crap written) and friends still in the game so that I still have half an idea. :lol:

Personally I would make a bracket that could mount both the regulator and lock-off, I would shorten the service line, clamp it to the fire wall and flex line from there to the lock-off as you don't have enough service line to do a neat secure copper service line to the lock-off.

I might gas up the old mont wagon using one of those kits, if it works well I might fit one to the Toaster as well ( :twisted: or swap it to it), the Toaster is more important as it is a daily and is becoming an alcoholic with only E10 being available.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The Panel Van Man wrote:
The other option is a filter lockoff with bracket mounted to the tower and a short line to the reg. It does appear that your lockoff does not have a mounting point and as such would not pass Aust standards 1425. They are not allowed to hang on their fittings. As long as the line between the reg and lockoff is no longer than 500 all's well. Regards Alan TPVM.

Thanks TPVM, I knew there was a something else to the reason the lock-off shouldn't be like that, it is handy to have someone currently working in the game and unlike a lot of fitters cares to make sure all safety regs are complied with, it is a personal gripe of mine that many get away with non compliance, I used to see it all the time when doing LPG rego inspections.

You posted while I was trying to post, FM dropped out again and I left it for a while, it has been doing it a bit the last couple of days, checked with a couple of proxy servers to confirm.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:29 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Yeah, thanks for the suggestions, the lock off filter bowl actually does have a mounting point (out of sight in the pics), so I'll have a good look and make a decent mounting for it.
Macca wrote:
I might gas up the old mont wagon using one of those kits, if it works well I might fit one to the Toaster as well ( :twisted: or swap it to it), the Toaster is more important as it is a daily and is becoming an alcoholic with only E10 being available.
I don't think you'll be disappointed with it Macca, I posted the setup here as there wasn't much info out there about it. I couldn't really justify buying and fitting a gas injection setup that costs more than the car, that's where these kits seemed attractive.
Sure you get what you pay for, but I think the kit is quite good for the money - Mick has found that it runs fine up to an engine capacity of around 4.2L - 4.5L is pushing it, over that you'll need to run dual converters, but the injectors still had more capacity though. So an E series/AU falcon with a mild cam is about it's limit, and so your basic family daily runner should be ideal.
You can't install this kit on post 2003/4 cars due to emissions, but ironically (if I have this right), it does pass european stds.
The big trade off is getting the system certified - a few local installers wouldn't touch it, but I think that's mainly due to ignorance, as one told me I should've stuck with the converter/mixer setup :shock: . Funnily enough, it's quite good not experiencing backfires of any sort.
I had my friend Rob which was a plus, but also, I wanted to make sure the workmanship was decent enough for the certification, so obviously, the lockoff bracket oversight can be attended to.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:50 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: XF 5 LIT P/ VAN EF 5 LIT FUTURA

VIC, Australia

As silly as it sounds ,the bracket does not have to be all that "butch" as long as it takes the load off the fittings. What did the kit cost and is it plug and play or solder in. And to Macca copper fill line & ulage valves how things have changed, but on the good side no EFI, no kit compliance just throw on what ever fitted [B2 and 300A]and away you go, cable through the dash was a bit of a b**ch, but only 3 wires. Regards TPVM.

SALT IS FOR RACING ON. SAUCE IS FOR FISH & CHIPS.

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:49 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

The Panel Van Man wrote:
As silly as it sounds ,the bracket does not have to be all that "butch" as long as it takes the load off the fittings.
That's pretty much what I thought, as the brass filter bowl is reasonably heavy for it's size.
The Panel Van Man wrote:
What did the kit cost and is it plug and play or solder in.
As per the links $575 delivered. The wiring harness and connectors are environmental type, and are plug and play to an extent, but being a generic setup, it's not designed for any particular model.
Mick at Mick's Pro Gas at Ballarat fits them - he has done a fair few E series falcons and pre 2003 commodores and other car makes also. You could talk to him installer to installer to get a better background on them - he does of course install upper market injection systems also, so he has a fair comparison to work off. I'd recommend you give him a call.

I've done a search for Aust std 1425, and I can't find a downloadable version (such as PDF), is it only available to installers ??
Be handy to actually read it to give me a better background knowledge of the standard.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:31 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: XF 5 LIT P/ VAN EF 5 LIT FUTURA

VIC, Australia

Thanks for that info. You have to buy the booklet I will see if I can find out where from. Regards TPVM

SALT IS FOR RACING ON. SAUCE IS FOR FISH & CHIPS.

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

The Panel Van Man wrote:
Thanks for that info. You have to buy the booklet I will see if I can find out where from. Regards TPVM
Thanks - I can PM you Mick's no if you like - you can ring him and just enquire about the units, that way you can test him on his knowledge. That's basically all I did, he never tried to upsell them to me, just gave me the ins and outs/nuances, etc on the systems.

tickford_6 wrote:
Thanks for the link.

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
The Panel Van Man wrote:
Thanks - I can PM you Mick's no if you like - you can ring him and just enquire about the units, that way you can test him on his knowledge. That's basically all I did, he never tried to upsell them to me, just gave me the ins and outs/nuances, etc on the systems.

tickford_6 wrote:
Thanks for the link.

It is stupidly over priced, you might get lucky and someone at a uni etc might be able to print you off a copy for you.

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Macca wrote:
snap0964 wrote:
JX Autogas on my EL wagon.

I wouldn't be leaving the service line that long without extra attachments or hang the lockoff like that off the regulator without a bracket also lock-offs should be mounted upright.

Have you had any issues with your system, is it this system Cheap Ebay LPG injection kit
Attachment:
ebay lpg injection.JPG

any kits like this available the suit the E series 5L?

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ashcook wrote:
When I've looked in the archives at uni before, I had no luck. But they were building standards. But I'm sure LPG ones would be even less easier to come by.
When I questioned the lecturer further about finding Aus Standards, they said they needed to be purchased. :roll: Like we were each going to pay $150 or what ever it was each for it. We just waited until someone in the class found out then we shared around.

I would think a large uni like Monash "will" have it, it would be a Pdf water marked with Monash and would have a time limited, the sort of basic time limit where back dating your computers date "would" allow you to view it and still print it. :wink:

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

jaysway wrote:
Last time I spoke to Mick the other week, he did say he's been trying to source them.
I know a few guy's have highlighted some 8 cyl kits on Ebay recently, only problem is the seller is O/S, e.g. like the UK.
So your support is a long way away, you'd need someone here willing to compliance the install, and the kits would need to meet Aust. emission std's.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

The kits would only need to meet the emissions std's of the vehicle it's going into wouldn't it?

Some of the kits i have seen for the v8's look similar to the cheapy 6cyl setup, but more bits & bigger converter, plus wiring to suit 8cyl operation.

At the end of the day, someone could source the parts individually, ie, big enough converter, 8 injectors, lock off & so on, then you could get creative & run it with a megasquirt or some other after market ecu, or maybe a twin program j3 chip could be setup?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

snap0964 wrote:
jaysway wrote:
Last time I spoke to Mick the other week, he did say he's been trying to source them.
I know a few guy's have highlighted some 8 cyl kits on Ebay recently, only problem is the seller is O/S, e.g. like the UK.
So your support is a long way away, you'd need someone here willing to compliance the install, and the kits would need to meet Aust. emission std's.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

the problem with importing parts is that unless each item is approved for use in Australia you can't legally install or have the an installation certified. And any car after 2004 must be fitted with an emissions certified kit. so unless the imported part is certified for our australian falcon you can't use it

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
jaysway wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong.

thanks for the reply mate.
where is Mick located? you speak to him often?
if you could bump this thread up when he has 8cyl kits available that would be appreciated.
injected gas for the E series v8s would be good if it didn't cost more than what the cars worth.

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 11  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next