Fordmods Logo

stalling on gas. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: stalling on gas.
Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 98 EL Falcon

VIC, Australia

have a problem with my gas system. when starting up, the revs go just above 1K. then drops considerally low as if its going to stall and then runs normal. but when putting it into reverse, the revs would drop down again and sometimes would stall. took it to the guy that did my gas and he said the gasket between the intake manifold and the engine block had a slight leak. question being, is what he said correct and i should spend the money getting it fixed or does anyone else ahve any other thoughts on this?
Cheers
Craig

Post subject: Re: stalling on gas.
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:14 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Slight gasket leaks are fixed with a 10mm spanner. Seems more likely there is another vaccum leak elsewhere.

Use some Aerostart with a thin tube attached to spray bursts where he suggested. If the revs pickup then there is a leak near where you sprayed. Do this for all intake areas.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:12 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

thanks for the tip mate. gave it a go today. in this one spot, revs picked -up slightly so i tightened that bolt. now the revs are lower than what it used to idle at. another problem ive been facing is the steering. since this problem has arised, the power steering assist has been noticably less. would that help in any way?

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:10 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EBII Fairmont Ghia i6

SA, Australia

daboonka wrote:
thanks for the tip mate. gave it a go today. in this one spot, revs picked -up slightly so i tightened that bolt. now the revs are lower than what it used to idle at. another problem ive been facing is the steering. since this problem has arised, the power steering assist has been noticably less. would that help in any way?

cause the p steer pump runs off the belts on the motor the lower the idle the less fluid is pumping and if the idle is close to stalling your going to notice the steering being not quite the same. check ur lpg tune too mate

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

thanks 4 da tip. will take it to the gas guy yet again to get it tuned.

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XD S-Pack

SA, Australia

easy to tune yourself for idle m8

dont worry about the in line mixture because that only effects top end and that shouldnt change..

your idle however will degrade as your airfilter becomes dirty.. you can adjust to compensate as it dirtys up with a vaccuum guage on the manifold.. simply leave tha car idling and adjust the largest knob on the side of the gas converter untill maximum idle vacuum is produced..

its that easy.. people are so scared of gas, its easier to tune than a carby

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

with my gas convertor though, theres 2 knobs and their both the same size. will try and get a photo up soon. not really happy with the set-up of the gas though. cant use the snorkel thingo. if i do, car doesn't run on gas.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]