Fordmods Logo

strange prolem with new LPG system. 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

snap0964 wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
i've looking into the LPG ecu, should be able to run both ECUs and have them switch with the lpg/petrol button. I have a contact through work that would enjoy the challenge of getting it to work. Also looking into the mega jolt and edis6 same theory, have it switch between the megajolt and factory ecu depending on feul.
Sounds complicated - my setups just needed one wire from the ECU to the fuel select switch, to switch fuel maps.
Were the dual fuel ECU's discontinued from AU onwards to Egas(LPG only)??
What are your intentions/main uses for the car ??

i haven't managed to find a duel fuel ECU for the AU. I'd be interested if anyone knows if they exist at all. If not well it's back to the complicated way, but once it's setup it'll only be a mater of pressing a button or two.

The car is our daily drive, main use is the 40km round trip to work every day. I want to try and get the best economy out of it as i can.
injected gas would have been better but we have two gas fitters in townsville and they both wanted over $5000 for injected setups.

Power is not a consideration, If for any reason i need a bit more power, i'll press the button and use petrol.

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

gogetta wrote:
system?

ok so i got it wrong befor.

the converter has, Landi TIPO LSE 98 CLASS 1/2A on the front of it.
the processor is a Gastec FP32

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
i haven't managed to find a duel fuel ECU for the AU. I'd be interested if anyone knows if they exist at all. If not well it's back to the complicated way, but once it's setup it'll only be a mater of pressing a button or two.
You'll have to ask the question in the LPG section. I wonder what Jaysen or the ECU boys can do ??

tickford_6 wrote:
The car is our daily drive, main use is the 40km round trip to work every day. I want to try and get the best economy out of it as i can. injected gas would have been better but we have two gas fitters in townsville and they both wanted over $5000 for injected setups.
I suppose that'll be for vapour injection too. It would solve the ECU hassle, and not having a mixer, too, but if you can't get the LPG rebate, the cost makes it not viable. Having said that, I've just been looking at the install instructions for an impco vapour injection for a BA6 - doesn't look too difficult - have to see if EF/EL is available.

tickford_6 wrote:
Power is not a consideration, If for any reason i need a bit more power, i'll press the button and use petrol.
The mixer will always be a restriction on petrol.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Post subject: LPG
Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 08 BF Ghia

VIC, Australia

17L P/100 seems like a good figure to me. How much is LPG in Townsville?
$5000 for injected gas sounds very high. Ive been told you can still lose 15-20% even with injected LPG. The heat up there will definatly affect your fill. I once got 71L into a 68L useable tank in cold weather empty, and in hot weather it only took 65L. To reduce consumption slighly try raising your air intake box lid up. Ive noticed a .05 -1L p/100 difference

Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

It makes enough power on petrol the way it is. It did loose a bit when the gas was fitted but it's not a big deal.

LPG here costs between 79.3 and 90.9c/L petrol has just dropped to 129.9
(the price of LPG hasn't changed)

I just found in the catch code sticky that there is an AU duel fuel ECU, i'm might see if our parts rep at work can get me a price on one, (we buy alot of general service parts from the ford dealer).

and i've been meaning to have a chat with jaysen anyway.

problem i've found, is there is alot of info on making for power with LPG but not so much on making it more efficient.

Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

a correctly tuned for closed-loop LPG setup will use 25% more fuel than petrol....the LPG just doesnt have as much energy value as petrol...and that is with optimised ignition maps (which u dont have yet)

more comp and running it lean could help but the fuel processor is designed to run at stoich not lean....although i think the factory tickford systems do have a lean cruise so it is possible...

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
I just found in the catch code sticky that there is an AU duel fuel ECU, i'm might see if our parts rep at work can get me a price on one, (we buy alot of general service parts from the ford dealer).
Just need to make sure you're not stuck with an AUI smartlock one by mistake.

tickford_6 wrote:
problem i've found, is there is alot of info on making for power with LPG but not so much on making it more efficient.
Not to mention those people who quote remarkable fuel economy figures that are close to petrol. :? I think you'll find optimising spark maps will give you the best result for the money - particularly when you need to maintain a compromise between the two fuels.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ok, got the s**t with the gas usage, was getting worse.

Got the installer to check it over, there is a new processor on it's way.

Now that petrol is $1.15/L it's cheaper to use that then keep using the LPG the way its using it. will have to wait and see how it goes after it's fixed.

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

The new processor has been fitted. Apparently the original one was slow to react to input from the O2 sensor.

used up the last of the gas in the tank and will be running only on petrol for a while. LPG 90.9c petrol 99.5c no mater what, the petrol is cheaper to use.

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

Has the price of gas come down?
In melb it is down to 40cpl which is great.

Petrol is about $1.13 over christmas it was $1.01 2 days before.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Rick's EF Fairmont Wagon wrote:
Has the price of gas come down?
In melb it is down to 40cpl which is great.

Petrol is about $1.13 over christmas it was $1.01 2 days before.

not yet, we are still at 79c-90c for LPG 90c-99c for ULP and 116c-129c for diesel.

bugger buying some just to find out if working right again.
Thinking of taking the mixer ring out until the price comes down.

Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

cost of LPG has come down to a point that it's worth buying again.

NOT HAPPY, gas had a big stumble off idle and has backfired a few times.

After doing some reading, took the advice given to some els with the same problem.

disconnected the ISC put auto in gear with AC on and set idle speed to 900rpm, then adjusted until the engine was smooth.
then bring the idle back down to a point that it just idles, shut engine off and reconnect ISC, start engine.

This seems to have fixed the stumble and backfiring.

Will be back at work on monday, so i'll borrow the motec AFR meter and run that on it for a week to see what it really doing.

Post subject: Re: strange prolem with new LPG system.
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

All seems good, It's on track to do over 400km this tank.

changes made from the last readings of 290km are autolite 985 plugs gapped at .9mm

and the changes i listed in the previous post, i also changed to a slightly cooler thermostat.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2