Fordmods Logo

Testing an LPG Petrol start control module. (Parnell PPSM5) 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Testing an LPG Petrol start control module. (Parnell PPSM5)
Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

OK.. found what I fixed and fixed it properly... bit embarrassed and mad at myself for missing it actually.

I had the car running on gas while I was under the dash bolting the modules back up... (I don't know why I had it running either, but it turns out to be a good thing anyway)

When I pulled the unit down to test it, the first thing I did was get the multimeter out and test for positive and earth and the unit had both.. after much much much searching I put it back together and while I am bolting the module back up, the car stops.. and I can hear a relay clicking on and off repeatedly as I wiggle the module.. tracing it I discover the blade terminal on the fuse block has a dodgy crimp terminal on it... replaced that and the problem went away.

it just happened that when I was testing it with the multimeter, it was pulled tight and was conducting fine, but when loose and under no pressure, it was a broken joint.

replaced and all is good.

embarrassed that it turned out to be something simple, annoyed that I stripped out the whole system for a day to find it when it turns out I could have fixed it just reaching under the dash without undoing anything.. still, a lesson learned and a fair bit about gas systems too.

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Just thought I'd show you what I've been working on.

Wife is having another baby.. that makes 3 and we can't fit three kid seats across the back seat of our Hilux so had to find something wider.

A bit of looking around found a 95 EF station wagon, on gas, 109,000km with a blown head gasket and some rust and no rego. Cost was 300.

pulled out the mig, welded up rust, tidied up paintwork and cut and polish, fixed gas as of today, put my old EA ghia's blades on it.

Tidied up very nicely if I do say so myself.

The underfloor gas tank was one of the big selling points as it takes up no cabin room.

This is the engine bay obviously, and you can see the converter which is the only part of the gas system I've had to replace as the old one was manky and corroded.

Cleans up very nicely for a $300 dollar car, and the interior is very tidy too, though as it's just a GLI it isn't very flash. (yet.... the wife has already put her hands up for some power windows.)

Once this is over the pits, I can finially do the engine swap in my car as I've now picked up a heavy duty clutch for the T5 for $200 on ebay.. and that is that is what I've been waiting on.

Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

frankieh wrote:
OK.. found what I fixed and fixed it properly... bit embarrassed and mad at myself for missing it actually.

I had the car running on gas while I was under the dash bolting the modules back up... (I don't know why I had it running either, but it turns out to be a good thing anyway)

When I pulled the unit down to test it, the first thing I did was get the multimeter out and test for positive and earth and the unit had both.. after much much much searching I put it back together and while I am bolting the module back up, the car stops.. and I can hear a relay clicking on and off repeatedly as I wiggle the module.. tracing it I discover the blade terminal on the fuse block has a dodgy crimp terminal on it... replaced that and the problem went away.

it just happened that when I was testing it with the multimeter, it was pulled tight and was conducting fine, but when loose and under no pressure, it was a broken joint.

replaced and all is good.

embarrassed that it turned out to be something simple, annoyed that I stripped out the whole system for a day to find it when it turns out I could have fixed it just reaching under the dash without undoing anything.. still, a lesson learned and a fair bit about gas systems too.

welcome to what mechanics go through every day, at least you don't have to try and charge someone for all the time you spent and then fixed it with a 20c part

Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
welcome to what mechanics go through every day, at least you don't have to try and charge someone for all the time you spent and then fixed it with a 20c part

yeah, I used to fit 5 insurance car alarms every day and fix a heap more.... I've had this happen in the past but I thought I was wiser now. :-)

sadly it appears not.

Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Been a few days since I have had a read of this, glad to read that the issue was found & resolved.

I've resolved a few similar issues with my LPG system in my Eb Ghia. Install fails on part of the installer. I guess this is the fun of the "car game" isn't it?

I have a few more issues to resolve when I get the car back from the panel beaters.

That wagon looks like it cleans up pretty good for the money, good luck on getting it road worthy!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thanks mate,

The car came out like new, I've been stoked by it. Now that the gas is sorted she goes over the pits this week sometime. The lpg tank is off getting re-stamped. I'm glad i am in IT now, i do not miss jamming my butt under dashboards to troubleshoot alarms.

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Cool. I'm glad I'm almost out of I.T now... I do some consulting for myself, that's it. Bugger the stress & long hours with lots of unpaid overtime that I was doing!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yup.... I had my own IT consult biz too, in addition to supporting businesses clients, I did corporate hosting and email on my Linux servers (still do that)..

Now I work in an air conditioned office at a University for 37 hours a week with all the benefits like 17% super.....

don't miss working saturdays or late nights either. :-)

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Sounds like you have managed to find one of the few good I.T tech gigs out there!

Is the car still running good after this much time?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

car runs a treat... though now both my lpg tanks are in getting stamped.. pick them up on friday.

Got them to make a professional version of the copper pipe between the valve and the converter, mine worked and didn't leak, but I didn't trust it.

car should go over the pits early next week.

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:06 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: V8 XG VAN / V8 NL fairlane ghia

VIC, Australia

how did this all work out ??

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

It was a dodgy blade terminal.. Once I found and replaced that, it has been flawless.

Car went over the pits first time, has done about 20,000km since then as my wifes daily. Runs like a dream.. best 300 bucks I have ever spent. :-)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2