Fordmods Logo

Turbo on gas?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Turbo on gas??
Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:20 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 2001 AU Ford Falcon

WA, Australia

Got a au on factory fitted str8 gas, its the inline six. I have some extra cash after buying and want to turbo it. Is there any significant differences in turbo charging a gas car than there is when turbo charging a petrol car. And does anyone recomend any specific setup or other mods before i do so? and also where to get a good kit from or even a specific turbo to buy.

any help would be much appreciated.

Guitar and Bass guitar lessons for all ages and skill levels in Perth. 0417090965
http://www.musicteacher.com.au/dominic-mcgonigle/

Post subject: Re: Turbo on gas??
Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

For the cost of a phone call, have a chat with Parnell in Vic. They have done quite a few turbo ghas stuff. Look up the number on whitepages.com.au

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Join outerlimits4x4.com and have a look through the nissan section
There are loads of turbo/lpg RB30s and TB42/TB45/TB48 engines. speak to the guys that built them

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Turbo LPG has been done a number of times, there is someone on here running a very simple setup that apparently works well, but i wouldn't trust such a simple setup to keep the engine from leaning out.

I also wouldn't speak with Parnell about it either.

Gas research is the way i've seen a number of turbo lpg setup's done, especially on the RB30's, but these days there are injection setups that work on forced induction engines as well, but they usually required a full petrol system to start with.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: turbo ef falcon

ACT, Australia

if you want a simple setup i would suggest using a B2 converter and impco mixer. the vialle system that i assume you have does not work with boost so you'll need to change to a different mixer. gas research take a bit to tune and some people have issues with it (my mate for example who is now changing to an impco). the great thing about the impco mixers is that there is no tuning involved, theyre a self metering diaphragm. i used an impco 425 for my turbo setup and there was only two adjustment screws, only one that i needed to worry about and that was the idle screw. i put it together on my driveway and it started and ran first go. good turbo to use is maybe a t3/4 from a vl turbo which will give good response but lack top end. if you want something that will haul a*** you would be best spending $1000 plus on a gt35/40 or gt30/40 (spools faster). i used an ebay T70 that cost around $500 and it went really well, a bit laggy but kicked in hard. j-pipe the manifold and it will be cheap and effective. how much power do you want, where do you want it and how much are you willing to spend are the main questions you need to ask yourself.

I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick. Not wounded. Dead.

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

You can run a 5/8th line from your vac like (become boost) to your mixer or converter i cant remember, then under boost it pushes the diaphram and supplies the correct amount of lpg :)

B2 converters flow alot, some people run twin, not sure on particulars :)

Ebay have cheap B2 converters and mixers

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: turbo ef falcon

ACT, Australia

im running twin converters and theres no way im running out of gas :) and yeah boost reference goes to the top of converters to put pressure on diaphragm im pretty sure its 5/8th.

I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick. Not wounded. Dead.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]