Fordmods Logo

Wanting to get an e-gas falcon what to look for.... 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Wanting to get an e-gas falcon what to look for....
Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Au XR6 III

VIC, Australia

Im looking into getting an egas falcon (wanting something cheaper to run).
What model should i look at?
BA
BA MKII
BF
BF MKII???
Are some models better than others?

Are the egas model falcons reliable? i have heard mixed views about them.
I know ford stuck a cheaper system in them but i suppose with regular maintenance it can be tuned and kept running well.

Your thoughts?

Cheers guys

Post subject: Re: Wanting to get an e-gas falcon what to look for....
Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:42 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

I would get a non e gas falcon and have LPG liquid injection installed on it. Much more economical and more power than petrol!

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

False economy - Injected gives power, but you wont save the additional $2k over the likely life of the car.

I have injected gas simply because my car has plastic manifolds. But Ive been able to extract very good power out of the other systems too.

Get an E-Gas if you want - then look at GasResearch... or the Profire LPG Systems

Nigel

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:02 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Nigel wrote:
False economy - Injected gives power, but you wont save the additional $2k over the likely life of the car.

I have injected gas simply because my car has plastic manifolds. But Ive been able to extract very good power out of the other systems too.

Get an E-Gas if you want - then look at GasResearch... or the Profire LPG Systems

Nigel

Not the information I have been given, Im getting vapor injection shortly and I can give better opinion then.

But what I have been told by the installer is he lost 2 rwkw after installing the vapor injection on is BF XR6T ute. Also that economy is better than the old mixer ring in the throttle body, close to petrol consumption.

When my injection is installed I will be taking note of how much I get from a single tank.

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:03 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

When making a decision on a gas system, I personally believe that while installation price is a factor, there are other more important factors to take into consideration.

Firstly, remember that no matter which type of system you choose to install, even a 15,000km per annum driver will take at most four years to recoup the installation cost of even the most expensive gas system on a 6-cylinder car at today's fuel prices. This means that you will always be better off in the long run. So what are the other factors?

Well, for me, the whole ownership experience is the big one. There's no point installing a gas system if it noticeably affects the day-to-day operation of your car. A person who has never driven your car should be able to jump in and not tell that it's running on an alternative fuel (apart from the fuel gauge/selection switch of course). Engine start-up should be unaffected, the fuel changeover should be seamless, all electronics should function as normal, and most importantly, the performance should remain unaffected no matter what fuel you choose to burn. Unfortunately, old-school LPG systems do not meet most of my criteria.

Another thing to look at is the sophistication of the gas system in relation to your base engine. I don't know about other people, but I don't fancy the idea of installing a independent single-point fuel system onto an engine that has an ECU design to run a sequential multi-point system. It's just wrong in my opinion.

The Europeans have long forgotten about mixer-based LPG systems and it's about time that Australians forget about them as well. It is these unrefined systems that give LPG a bad name in this country.

Regards,
Dave

2005 VZ Commodore SV6 with OMVL Dream XXI SVI LPG
2004 BA Falcon XT with Orbital Liquid LPG Injection
2004 BA Falcon XR6 with icom JTG Liquid LPG Injection

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Bionic BA MkII XR6

Power: 175 rwkw

WA, Australia

Well - as an LPG converted BA Mk2 I can add my 2 cents here
I'm getting more and more p!ssed off with mine.

It is switchable - so dual fuel - mixer setup - not sure of brand - Lando Renzi or some such

Initially on changeover not long after starting the car (it does it autonmatically) and you get a massive purge of gas - big stink.

Power is noticebly lower on gas.
When you floor it on gas - it is a slow pickup, and it feels like it is starving and peaks out
It may just need a bloody good tune - I don't know.

And it backfires. Standing still - waiting for a gap in traffic - see a gap - gun it and BANG - it backfires and stalls so you end up in a precarious position with oncoming traffic !!! I've lost confidence in doing this now and have to wait for larger traffic openings....

Put the air con on when you are sitting idling and it threatens to stall.

Overall I am getting close to just running on petrol. My LPG system is currently detracting from my driving pleasure.

BIONIC 2005 BA Mk2 XR6 - XR8 Snorkle - Typhoon 2nd CAI - K & N Panel Filter - polished BBM intake - polished ceramic coated Pacemaker 4490 headers - Magnaflow 3.5" high flow Cat - Full mandrel stainless exh syst - 4speed SSS -BPT Custom tune - 20% UDrive - XR8 Calipers/rotors - 175 rwkw

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:03 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

^ The B-series Falcons benefit HUGELY from having an injected LPG system installed as opposed to a conventional mixer-based system. I can tell you that both our BAs with Liquid LPG Injection as well as our VZ with Gas Injection run flawlessly and there is NO power loss. In fact, both BAs experience a noticeable GAIN in responsiveness and smoothness when you run them on gas.

Regards,
Dave

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Id also buy a non E-GAS falcon then convert it to either vapour or liquid injection as there heaps better and if u have any issues u just switch back to petrol and away u go again.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 2004 ba egas ute

NSW, Australia

I think the ba,bf,fg egas,s are great the only problem ive had is a cract solonoid on the converter.I have owned mine since 04 you only notice the power differences compared to petrol after 4000 rpm after that they have got nothing.if you look after them they are very reliable and 500km city driving for 35$ is pretty good.But if you are after performance go for the injected lpg.

Supercharged Egas

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:35 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Vialle converters are hopelessly expensive to replace, even when buying direct from Orbital.

Just one more reason to go Liquid Injection...

Regards,
Dave

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

If getting a new vehicle and wanting gas ... get the EGAS .... you will have warranty. Whereas if going aftermarket you literally void your warranty.

Have had 2 EGAS vehicles now ... and can't say I've really had issues with them.

As long as the vehicle is well maintained ... you shouldn't have an issue. The later model BFs had less is with with tank gauges failling ... and my BFII is more accurate than what my AUII was when it comes to gauge readings .. and longevity of LPG senders.

As for everyday driving and work ... the EGAS works a treat ... you get larger tanks to give the range needed ... and it's cheap running really.

If you are after performance ... go petrol and get LI LPG installed for sure ... but for a daily driver that get the odd squirt ... EGAS is fine ... my ute punches along quite fine for what it is.

And it only costs me around the $45-48 mark for 650km worth out of a tank.

I also don't have dodgy aftermarket LEDs "stuck" on my dash either.

In the end ... it comes down to what type of driving you will be doing ... and how many kays you do a year as well ... especially if trying to re-coup costs.

EGAS vehicles actually retain their value better as well over a convert LPG vehicle.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:42 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

QLD, Australia

I have nothing but good things to say about my conversion. EB XR8 has not looked back. I find there is a flat spot from 2200-2500rpm but then it is like a train. I have been told I may need to go to bigger injectors so will look into that.

Power is about the same and being SVI(King ECU) I am enjoying the $35 to fill it and getting 400-450km per tank. Good after sales and while it was expensive to fit, beats paying $110 a tank for ULP for 650km where I can spend $105 for the entire trip to QLD from Canberra...no contest and there is bucketloads of power under the bonnet... :D

Hooroo

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ED Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Becareful as a lot of aftermarket gas installations are sooo dodgey. Can give some examples if you would like haha.

Id personally go with factory gas. The engines are tuned for it. Even get their own special spark plugs lol. The only real problem is the solenoids in the convertor can get cracks in them & if they get wet they can blow a fuse & the car wont start.

Myspace - www.myspace.com/theboss_290gt

MSN - theboss_290gt@hotmail.com

- Add me

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA Turbo

VIC, Australia

I'd get an Egas falcon anyday my uncle has had a BA MK11 for a few years now and hasn't had any problems, also gets about 13/100kms and is pretty punchy to drive compared to any duel fuel falcon i've driven.

1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Resprayed|microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Wade turbo cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 conversion|Built bottom end|10.6@125MPHi

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:19 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

There are so many points to consider. The real problem is that since the government rebate there are a ton of "marginal" installs being done.

Getting the factory Egas is OK if you like brand name cornflakes / jeans and want a no thinking required solution. Also they are expensive to maintain and the Vialle converters give trouble from 150K on. Some fleet owners just outright replace them at 120K to avoid headaches.

Dual fuel is so much more flexible. Dedicated is no longer on my shopping list as I have had 2 of them. When you have a dedicated gas there will be plenty of times you get somewhere and then realise you HAVE to find that LPG pump at 11:30pm after a night out when visiting friends in an area you don't know. A year or 2 of that with female partner will get you wishing you had dual fuel as the girls really panic bad.

The problem is that few fitters will install the more expensive injection systems that work a treat. Main business reason they don't is they are challenged by Joe public about the cost etc. When the rebate came in all the suppliers upped their prices citing BS reasons and the poor gas guy had to wear the increases, so of course prices went up.

So your real questions need to be along the lines of finding a great gas guy who has the b*lls and knowledge to say what does & doesn't work - hard to find. Avoid the Redneck types who think the only good gear is made in the USA. The Yanks are so far behind in LPG technology it is a wonder they bother with Impco (that should get some bites!)

From the BA on you really have to have injected gas. What Dave, PoweredByCNG said is true but the reason we still have central mixers around is;
1. Cost
2. Experience/understanding. Lots of installer did their 120 hours of bridging training for mechanics and never really "got it" about how the new technology works in conjunction with the onboard OEM system.

So given the start date of this thread and that "Herbert" has never ever replied back, the thread is probably dead but of value to other people asking the same type of questions.

Last edited by DStirrup on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next