Fordmods Logo

Which system? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Which system?
Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

So what system does the EA-EL best. Is the Ford Vialle/Poliauto system the best (with regard to power and economy), or is a humble Aussie B2 converter and Impco mixer with simple change over computer better? What other systems do people have an opinion on?

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

Personally i'd keep away from poli and vialle, not very reliable and very expensive to replace.
I'm running an OMVL with simple mixer on my 5.0 and it runs great, both power and economy.
I'd keep away from Impco on the 4.0, they always go out of tune and the economy is never that great on them.

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Futura Wagon

QLD, Australia

Definitely OMVL. Easy as to tune yourself, cheap, good economy and power and did I mention it is cheap.

Then get a tickford ecu if you're running an EF so you can get the better spark maps (as you can't easily change the timing on the EF). With my system as above I get 12l on the hwy and 16l around town.

cheers
Scott

If it doesn't fit, jam it. If that doesn't work use a hammer. - Engineers Motto

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Walker wrote:
Personally i'd keep away from poli and vialle, not very reliable and very expensive to replace.
I'm running an OMVL with simple mixer on my 5.0 and it runs great, both power and economy.
I'd keep away from Impco on the 4.0, they always go out of tune and the economy is never that great on them.

I can confirm the lack of economy with the Impco on a 4 litre - my EF's getting 21l/100 on gas, compated to around 15 on petrol.

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

So can anything be done to make a simple Impco system run more efficiently?

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

Not really, but if you have the bucks then checkout the GRA throttle body setup, they run an Impco convertor setup with them, although it's another brand it's the same s**t.

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Nah wont change already, system is brand new. Pity to find out the impco 200 mixer is not economical, but such is life. Does the EECIV learn around the gas set up and decrease economy or is there another problem with these systems losing tune?

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:53 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

my brother has had 2 efi xf's with an impco 200 on them. he raves about both of them. the economy on his setup has been really good. other impco stuff seems good. set and forget. i put a 425 on my f100 recently, and it is streets ahead of the old setup. where the impco stuff seems to fall over is their closed loop setup is a bit slow to operate. if you use a mixer without any of that gear, and the stoichiometric needle, it will be pretty good. cheap to buy too.

vote for pedro ? f**k pedro, f**k him up his stupid a***hole.

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

on straight highway travel I get 460K's on my 65 litre tank. Thats not bad economy, but I know there are people out there who get 500k's etc.

Because the EEC is adaptive, if the LPG goes out of tune for whatever reason, the computer will "try" to compensate by changing fuel metering etc, but this will only be evident when you change back to fuel. It would have ramped up/down the fuel adjustment because previous attempts have failed (because LPG is not controlled by EEC). You really need a computer based LPG setup, and a good oxy sensor to get a good tune capable of staying that way and not pissing off the EEC.

I don't think the Impco gear is that flash hot in respect to keeping the mixture in tune. I have the CDP-Oz computer which pulses a vacuum solenoid to control the balance line on the converter. The solenoid is considered a servicable part, and is continually clicking and bashing against the valve seat inside of it - a stepper motor would have been a better alternative. I have already replaced it once since I did my gas 12ish months ago, and you can easily tell when that time comes up - 300Km's per tank means another $40 solenoid :(

The vacuum purge valve is also crap, and under sudden throttle, it is too slow to remove the vacuum from the converter, and the engine almost stalls. My solution to this is to have the solenoid only connected when above 1st gear (yet to make the circuit), so that high vacuum is never exposed to the converter.

Either that, or continue to drive like a granny - but you get too used to just flooring it sometimes that you forget you're on gas.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

i think the poliauto isnt a bad converter at least they can be rebiult if trested proper .and 1 of the better comps i have seen is the pcm2000 self turns .the biggest problem with poli is the size of it

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I've got PoliAuto LPG Injection in my ford, and i have not had a problem with any of the hardware. It's great on economy, and no loss of power on petrol, only 2kw less on LPG when my motor was stock. If i wasn't going to go LPGI, i was going to run a Gas Research Throttle Body, as there is less intake restriction with that comparted to fitment of other mixers infront of the factory throttle body.

Gas Research systems usually get fit with Aussie made B2 converters. They are simple & easy, not to mention not that expensive either. I've gotta get one, possibly two for my turbo torana project soon.

If you could afford it, and you are keeping the car a long while, i'd seriously look at the LPG Injection setups.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

I have heard good reports using the Airod converter and Tartarini computer in several models of Falcon ... even the newer BAs as well (yeah I have seen the older style setups in the B-series.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

im running impco model L (LG b2) and 200 mixer....seems a very basic system with none of the stuff EBGIZMO was talking about......very happy with it economy wise...
tuned right it will be good

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]