2010 FPV - supercharged - scuttlebutt 

Page 5 of 6 [ 90 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: 2010 FPV - supercharged - scuttlebutt
Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

bore coatings have been around for ages..

I remember when it started happening (electroplating bores) on 2 stroke motorcross bikes in the mid 80's and people had all the same concerns. Turns out that unless you had catastrophic failure, the bores lasted as long as the bike.

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2010 Falcon

QLD, Australia

Yeah you're right. I have studied the american Fords quite a bit over the last 2 years and watched their videos. Christ they get a caning. I'm surprised the diffs don't blow more often. But they seem to stand up to it quite well. So Ford is doing a very good job. I haven't seen many complaints about engines, diffs or gearboxes. I would say this technology with the bore is really good, or Ford wouldn't put it on the street.

The new Coyote 5L seems to be a real balltearer. One really top motor. Can't wait to own one by Xmas this year. It'll be good to see if Ford Au puts 9" rear wheels on the Coyotes.

Go Ford .....

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

So is this model of engine stated for FGII or post FG falcons?

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:51 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
So is this model of engine stated for FGII or post FG falcons?

Well the BOSS won't meet emmissions standard from July 1, so real soon now.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

Wasn't the claim September?
With the gap between July and Sep being filled by 'pre build' FG's

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:06 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Rod Barrett, the boss of FPV has been heard to say that the Ford US engine (5 litre Coyote 4V) in the 2011 Mustang GT is the same engine that will be fitted to the Falcon / FPV. There is a lot of opinions about the supercharging and the power and torque. We have to wait and see for the exact figures.

It can be thought that FPV will build their own engines as they did with the 5.4L. As far as the XR8 (or maybe XR50 - whatever they will call it) no-one knows at this stage. Ford US has built this engine with a thicker bore and stronger materials. It's built in Ontario. This is a brand new design and not cast from any previous engine built by Ford.

Some of the US specs are: Valves - In 37/12 ex 31/11, 4V with VCT, pistons are cast aluminium, rods are forged, bore & stroke is 3.63 in x 3.65 in/92.2 mm x 92.7 mm, displacement is 302 ci/4951 cc, compression is 11:1 est, has 412hp/307kw @6,500 rpm, torque is 390 lb.ft @ 4,250 est, runs on 91 unleaded octane with a minimum of 87 octane, 82.4 hp per litre. I can only presume the crank is forged as well (I don't know). Shelby in the US has already built a supercharged Mustang GT 350. It has 515hp (384kw). It will be on sale in the states later this year. It sounds absolutely fantastic. There is some info at - gt350.shelbyamerican.com/ - and a video on youtube at -www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoHi9oBXfXc - (copy into address bar). This is the same engine which will be used here but some aspects of it may be changed to suit Au laws and conditions.

I can only assume that the engines in the XR8 will be very similar to the above. A lot of people are saying the FPV vehicles will be supercharged. Watch youtube and see for yourself. Enjoy

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:22 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

This is more like what the Australian XR8 and FPV should sound like. Not supercharged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7_BQP2E ... re=related (copy into address bar)

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:02 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Unfortunately we have nancy sound laws.

It's a two edged sword, it gets horrible sounding lancers and excels with cannons defected, but also ruins it for V8 rumble.

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So even a 50 state legal car in the US sounds more like a car than our EuroIV Aussie compliant cars here?

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Yeah, you're right. But you can upgrade your exhaust to get a rumble. I believe the limit is somewhere around 85db to 90db for V8's up to 3,300 revs. Over that, there is no limit. But you can't drive around over 3,300. It comes down to disturbing the peace. Most exhaust shops should know. A good exhaust shop will have a sound tester. You can get a good Ford rumble from an FG if you change the exhaust at a good shop. Make sure you get a certificate stating the levels. Anything is better than getting booked by someone without a testing machine who thinks he know everything. They do ruin it don't they.

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
So even a 50 state legal car in the US sounds more like a car than our EuroIV Aussie compliant cars here?

Yeah, I've just returned from Detroit, walking around last night, I turn to see where a great rumble comes from and it turns out to be the Sheriff's Dodge Challenger.

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Lucky you didn't return from Thailand, it would have been the menacing and deafening throng of a Kia with 16 people in it.

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

FPV Falcon GT set to fly

* By Carsguide team
* Carsguide
* 22 July 2010

Barrett put 10 days of driving into two cars, taking a loop run up to Darwin and back from FPV headquarters in Melbourne before a final sign- off on the new car. Photo Gallery

The upcoming Falcon GT has been cleared for take-off after an 8215- kilometre clearance check by the top man at Ford Performance Vehicles.

Rod Barrett led the driving crew on a deep dip into the heart of Australia with a pair of FPV test cars fitted with the upcoming Coyote V8 engine. He is not talking detail on the new GT, which comes to showrooms in the final quarter of this year, even though the test cars are obviously fitted with the four-pipe exhaust system coming on the updated and upgraded FPV flagship.

Barrett put 10 days of driving into two cars, taking a loop run up to Darwin and back from FPV headquarters in Melbourne before a final sign- off on the new car. "One was a new GT mule and the other one was our, let's just call it our 'new V8'," Barrett laughs.

"The run was for mileage accumulation. We need to put at least 30,000 kilometres on one car and a significant amount more on the other car with the 'new V8'. "I was going to Darwin anyway for the V8 Supercar round. So we mapped a course north. The engineers flew up and did some hot tests and then we came back through Mount Isa."

Barrett says the long drive was a major education on the engineering work that goes into a new FPV model. The only unplanned stoppage was to change a tyre. "It's good for me. There is a five-page form for me to fill out every night," he says.

"I drive it not like an engineer, but like a punter. So it was good. "It was like a working holiday. I had 10 days behind the wheel and up to 980 kilometres in a day."

Not surprisingly, Barrett describes the coming Coyote-powered FPV as ‘a phenomenal car’, without going into any details on performance or the vital emissions changes to meet legal changes in Australia. He says the Coyote change is the biggest in at least seven years, since FPV first put its current 5.4-litre V8 into the Falcon.

"The whole car changes because of that powerplant. There are lots of new things, like the next exhaust," Barrett says. "I'm now looking forward to the release. For all the cars with the 'new V8' we're aiming for the motor show in Sydney and Bathurst, that sort of timing."

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:56 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Vic wrote:
"I drive it not like an engineer, but like a punter. So it was good. "It was like a working holiday. I had 10 days behind the wheel and up to 980 kilometres in a day."

Sounds like a load of crap to me. I wish they'd test these cars like the did in the old days.

Not just nancy them around to build up km to meet requirements.

Can see another FPV car falling apart all too early again and spoiling its image. :cry:

I followed one one the freeway last week and took some photos. I wish them luck.

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

If he drove it like a punter he'd probably be locked up for the rest of his career and have the keys thrown away. Such is the police nation we have become. Can't even reliability test cars like we are supposed to.

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 6  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next