Fordmods Logo

BEWARE: Cheap Chinese Wheels! 

Page 2 of 6 [ 81 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: BEWARE: Cheap Chinese Wheels!
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:28 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Papa Smurf wrote:
A lot of Ford Mags are made in China BTW, like gmh, BMW and a few others.

Yep, China and Thailand. And the OEM wheels are just as s**t as aftermarkets these days.

I've had to get all of my wheels repaired and straightened in the first 30,000km of owning the car. Some of them had multiple buckles, all on the inner.

And eventually found a crack in one of the rims. To which Ford wanted $1000 to replace... :shock:

Problem is, its not potholes that cause it. Its running over railway tracks and driving up driveways at anything more than 2km/h that causes it.

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

All large diameter alloy wheels can suffer the same fate, especially if they're fitted with low profile tyres. the ones that tends to be more forgiving is the smaller rims with higher profile tyres, they provide more cushioning.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

This is where the fat and fatter 80's style tire sizes come out on top. You know 60 or greater series profile and tire widths in excess of 265, all on a 15" rim.

I was never a real fan of the big diameter, low profile look going around these days. Far too impractical for the quality of our roads. If our roads were as smooth as a babies bum and maintained on schedule then Id be a fan of modern bling too. Oh and get the freight off the trucks and onto rail. Heavy vehicles have all but destroyed our roads down here.

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

265/50/14's were the go lol

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

hans hartman wrote:
i buy mags,oem LTD FORD DF-15 INCH,CSA 17 INCH,STOCK FORD 15 INCH,and frieght weights are 12-14 kilos on solid patterns.I DONT LIKE HUB SPACERS and if possible i buy the best mags to suit the cars i have,E series are hard to find.BUT THEY ARE OUT THERE.

LOL ......

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB Falcon

xcabbi wrote:
This is where the fat and fatter 80's style tire sizes come out on top. You know 60 or greater series profile and tire widths in excess of 265, all on a 15" rim.

So true mate the extra tyre helps.

Last edited by Falcon_92_EB on Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

xcabbi wrote:

I was never a real fan of the big diameter, low profile look going around these days. Far too impractical for the quality of our roads. If our roads were as smooth as a babies bum and maintained on schedule then Id be a fan of modern bling too. Oh and get the freight off the trucks and onto rail. Heavy vehicles have all but destroyed our roads down here.

Thats why I stick to 17's. Mix of low profile + still maintaining sidewall.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Hahah, funny how people cry wolf when they encounter problems.

I bet if the flaws of large diameter/low profile wheels weren't mentioned everyone would of been in the bandwagon complaining about cheap chinese wheels. :lol:

I'll have the old school look any day. nicely proportioned on the overall look of the car compared to large gay wheels that looks rather silly on ED-EF...

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Slick wrote:
Hahah, funny how people cry wolf when they encounter problems.

I bet if the flaws of large diameter/low profile wheels weren't mentioned everyone would of been in the bandwagon complaining about cheap chinese wheels. :lol:

I'll have the old school look any day. nicely proportioned on the overall look of the car compared to large gay wheels that looks rather silly on ED-EF...

These are cheap chinese wheels though! They have NO Safety markings at all, they are infact an illegal wheel. Glad they are gone, the ute now had the standard 17's on it.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:05 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Slick wrote:
All large diameter alloy wheels can suffer the same fate, especially if they're fitted with low profile tyres. the ones that tends to be more forgiving is the smaller rims with higher profile tyres, they provide more cushioning.

Disagree... I've seen first hand where when a manufacturer puts their mind to it and considers reliabiliy and correct design rather than weight and $$$ they can design a wheel for low profile rubber that doesnt buckle at the thought of a pothole. It can be done.

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

That all depends on the design. wheels with the hub deeper in the rim distribute weight better then the one with the hub on the outside of the rim. the load and stresses on them are ridiculous, just a matter of hitting a decent pothole to make them almost explode. that's my opinion anyway. :lol:

By the way, the safety standards on all wheels sold in Australia should have a load bearing on the rims. if there's nothing on them don't buy it, if they look good but thin and flimsy, don't bother.

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Basically, what slick is saying Dish = good!

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Almost but more on the zero offset design.

to deep a dish is negative offset. pushing the wheel outside the guard and away from centre of mass. puts to much load on the wheel bearings. :lol:

We're stuck with the s**t design above because the wheel hub, rotors and brake caliper are so close to the outside of the guards.

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

dylby1 wrote:
in my defense, i didnt buy mine. they were already on the car
plus i know nothing about the quality of Advanti wheels
no idea what mine weighed

sweet jesus, i have advanti wheels on my laser. They were on there when i bought it. They look pretty solid with the 6 or 7 spokes, but who knows. I better lookout for potholes in the future....

Do reckon anyone would buy them, and i'll go get some better ones....lol??????

Cheers

Daz

BA XR8 Boss 260
DAZFAB......Now Mobile
Mink = GAY
DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DA22LE, XTT909, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN, SWC, FAT245

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, NCII V8

SA, Australia

Slick wrote:
That all depends on the design. wheels with the hub deeper in the rim distribute weight better then the one with the hub on the outside of the rim. the load and stresses on them are ridiculous, just a matter of hitting a decent pothole to make them almost explode. that's my opinion anyway. :lol:

By the way, the safety standards on all wheels sold in Australia should have a load bearing on the rims. if there's nothing on them don't buy it, if they look good but thin and flimsy, don't bother.

DEEP DISH FTW

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 6  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next