Fordmods Logo

BEWARE: Cheap Chinese Wheels! 

Page 3 of 6 [ 81 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: BEWARE: Cheap Chinese Wheels!
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

Id only ever go 18" max on these frigged roads.

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

67RCE wrote:
Basically, what slick is saying Dish = good!

hi,did you weigh the scrap mag?

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

hans hartman wrote:
67RCE wrote:
Basically, what slick is saying Dish = good!

hi,did you weigh the scrap mag?

No yet, It's still here at home.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Since part of the rim is missing weghing it will be useless.

Chinese alloys aren't light. Go into a tire shop and pick up a 20" rim. You'll be surprised.

They've got the material density but not the right mechanical properties for the job. Working in the heavy fab industry I thought you would have considered that hans instead of preaching 1970's rhetoric.

By the way, dialed that xr8 cam in yet. Maybe you should chuck the nf fairlane cam back in.

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
Since part of the rim is missing weghing it will be useless.

Chinese alloys aren't light. Go into a tire shop and pick up a 20" rim. You'll be surprised.

They've got the material density but not the right mechanical properties for the job. Working in the heavy fab industry I thought you would have considered that hans instead of preaching 1970's rhetoric.

By the way, dialed that xr8 cam in yet. Maybe you should chuck the nf fairlane cam back in.

Maybe so, but I still have the other 3 intact aswell, so I can weigh them.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

xcabbi wrote:

They are the same bloody cam!
It was only in the AU 200 and 220 motors that they started playing funny buggers with the cams.
I would love to be proven wrong but.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

I know that but some people will scream they are different till they turn blue in the face. Even buying xr8 cams believing they are an improvement over the non tickford item.

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Wonder what an EB XR8 cam is worth then? I have one here in a motor that has even got forged pistons. It must be worth a mint......................

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

I've read in a few places that the basic AU 175/185KW cams are different to the E-Series items too.

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

man i so want a set of 12 inch rims for my fg now. how about running decent rims? or driving to suit the conditions and watching where your going?

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

^^^
No offense mate but 75% of Queensland was underwater, it even made the news. :lol:
Atleast the car wasn't submerged,although the way things are going for it :lol: the wrecker near his, all the cars were.
and as stated also, his brother only recently bought the car with such rims fitted.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:21 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

phatba wrote:
man i so want a set of 12 inch rims for my fg now. how about running decent rims? or driving to suit the conditions and watching where your going?

Have you ever lived anywhere but Perth, where the roads aren't perfect and silky smooth and well maintained by endless mining royalty dollars?

Some things are unavoidable... Like the 10 (yes 10) 2ft wide potholes in a row on lane 2 of the Princes Fwy inbound that Vic Roads hasn't repaired in the 2 months they have been there. What are you supposed to do at 100km/h in peah hour? Fling across a lane to avoid them? Emergency brake?

I take it you've never done a trip up the Bruce Hwy in Qld? Pothole heaven, and death to anyone who tries to avoid them.

Or down Parramatta Road in Sydney where the lanes are so narrow and the constant traffic so bumper to bumper that if you see a pothole, its too late. You will be swallowed by it, as their potholes ARE usually car sized.

If you could name a decent rim that will accept a little rough driving, I'd be happy to buy it.

Until then, we're stuck with cheap s**t aftermarket wheels and just as s**t factory wheels that will bend, buck and crack at the mere thought of a pothole or lump in the road.

I told Ford their factory $1000 each Force rims where s**t and buckled too easy. I wonder how many people have reported back the same, or just took it up the rear. Maybe if more people let the manufacturers of these items know how s**t they are, they'd pick up their act and the wheels would have slightly more chance of surviving our roads.

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

arm79 wrote:
I told Ford their factory $1000 each Force rims where s**t and buckled too easy. I wonder how many people have reported back the same, or just took it up the rear. Maybe if more people let the manufacturers of these items know how s**t they are, they'd pick up their act and the wheels would have slightly more chance of surviving our roads.

hehe yeah but sadly it all boils down to the mighty dollar, cars have so much packed in these days on such stringent budgets, most people are happy with a 10k new car for a few years because even if tey bought the 30k ford, holden, they'd still want to update in a few years

to think back in the 50s they offered eclectic seats, roofs, windows, etc. this aint new technology at the heart, but you did have to pay for it. where as these days it's so easy to be in a brand new car. people are happy to say don't buy chinese crap, support the local, as their putting their password into paypal to get something from china.

but the fact is something something something, everyone of us is guilty of such, it's not only hardto compare bang for buck, but theirs also the aspect of everybody taking their slice of the pie along the way, e.g. set of ranks could buy them from us retail store, ship them over through a retail shop, not a strictly online wholesale bs, number of years ago, when the dollars was very by comparison landed 150 set, they wouldn't stock that particular size in aus, so if anything I would expected to get screwed because of a limited market, but instead, I had them on my doorstep for 150 aus dollars, when local stores are asking 350 for the regular sizes.
it makes me really wonder where does that 200 go????
and then it dawns on me stores don't pay retail they pay wholesale??? correct I believe.
plus there not getting a single set posted over at a time like me

slightly different industry but still.

maybe I'm slight drunkenly rambling but I haven't drunk enough to sleep yet, but the figures still stand.

something seriously wrong, are retailers being to greedy causeing a knock on effect, requiring higher wages etc., and on. and on????

or are we just expecting t much for to little effort???

not to sure, theres other possibilties but I can't be bothered now

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Fairmont Ghia & TS Magna

NSW, Australia

DA22LE wrote:
dylby1 wrote:
in my defense, i didnt buy mine. they were already on the car
plus i know nothing about the quality of Advanti wheels
no idea what mine weighed

sweet jesus, i have advanti wheels on my laser. They were on there when i bought it. They look pretty solid with the 6 or 7 spokes, but who knows. I better lookout for potholes in the future....

Do reckon anyone would buy them, and i'll go get some better ones....lol??????

Cheers

Daz

daz

leave the advanti rims on the laser as i had a set of 17s on a 04 RS Impreza running kuhmo tyres and i use to travel fairly rough tar and dirt road without a problem

cheers, bear

I don't know what to write in here LOL
Bear's Build Thread

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

OZBMX wrote:
something seriously wrong, are retailers being to greedy causeing a knock on effect, requiring higher wages etc., and on. and on????

Yep, retailers, wholesalers & banks are being too greedy. Push the price of goods up & then people will demand higher wages to be able to afford things. Starts a viscous cycle.

IN regards to the rims, they need to be JIA or VIA approved & correctly load rated for the vehicle you are putting them on to be road legal don't they?

I've known a few people to either get their insurance to pay(no excess as not really your fault if you can't avoid the pothole, like you can't avoid a lot of them) or the local council to pay when they hit a pothole & cracked or broke a rim. Too bad if you can't get the rims anymore, and need to get a full new set tho. Dunno how that would work out with council/insurance companies.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 6  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next