Fordmods Logo

BEWARE: Cheap Chinese Wheels! 

Page 5 of 6 [ 81 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: BEWARE: Cheap Chinese Wheels!
Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:53 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
dsyfer wrote:
MICKYYYY wrote:
I knew they were cheap but not that cheap................

How are all these shops able to sell rims that are so thin???

There would be a sticker or a sign or a waiver somewhere that says "off road or track use only" to cover themselves, like the aftermarket industry parts that aren't ADR approved.

Id rather pay an extra $100-150 per rim so they make them safe than have s**t stuff like that on my car...................

Thats why it pay's to do simmons or showwheels as u get good quality product

Agree with the Simmons range. The guy from the Mag Wheel Centre here in Melbourne told me they will never crack as the inner and outer rim are made from aluminium. They will buckle instead and depending on the severity of the buckle can either be hit back into place or changed for a new part as they are a 3 piece wheel. It will be interesting to see if Tempe tyres produce the same quality product as tony simmons did.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

BOSS429 wrote:
It will be interesting to see if Tempe tyres produce the same quality product as tony simmons did.

simmons are known for buckling over the smallest incidents........ that doesnt sound like quality to me mate. More like hype than anything........

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
BOSS429 wrote:
It will be interesting to see if Tempe tyres produce the same quality product as tony simmons did.

simmons are known for buckling over the smallest incidents........ that doesnt sound like quality to me mate. More like hype than anything........

Also - Tempe Simmons - Billet Centre. Original Simmons - Cast centre

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

I wonder now that tempe tyres owns the simmons design if they'll getting around to fix the damn air leaks they were notorious for.

f**k paying over 500 per wheel if the only way to stop your tire pressure from constantly going down is for you to pull it apart and hit it with sealer yourself, because the manufacturer refuses to accept their products are dodgy.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
I wonder now that tempe tyres owns the simmons design if they'll getting around to fix the damn air leaks they were notorious for.

f**k paying over 500 per wheel if the only way to stop your tire pressure from constantly going down is for you to pull it apart and hit it with sealer yourself, because the manufacturer refuses to accept their products are dodgy.

Try closer to $1k/rim

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:54 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
BOSS429 wrote:

My point was it won't crack like the rims shown in the pictures before. I much rather they buckle than crack and lose air pressure all of a sudden. I've never had an issue with my FR's and have had them for 5-6 years. The only way i can see them buckling is if someone couldn't reverse parallel park and mounts a kerb.

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Hey, stock chaser wheels can be custom widen to give it that dish look. strip it back to bare metal and send it in for chroming. :P

buckle it?... no problems, it's a two piece rim that can be dissected then have the buckled section replaced....

cheap as chips as they are all over the place. has anyone seen them chromed and widen to accept 265 to 300?
would be expensive to widen and chrome but it'll be something else. :lol:

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

With wheels you get what you pay for and with modern wheels never has this saying been so true.
Sure they may look nice but when you weigh up factors such as looks and price versus the safety of you and your passengers along with fellow road users the scales tip in favor of the safety factor.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Funny thing is that it's not always cheap wheels that are having failures.

CSA Prowlers anyone? We all know they tend to crack on the spokes. They were not exactly cheap either. Well not compared to a lot of wheels you can get, but they are cheap in comparison to Simmonds. My set hasn't cracked.

In regards to widening the rims, I think ROH might still do it. They do make a lot of "old" rims new again when asked. I bought a brand new set of 14x5 inch HK steel rims a couple of years ago for my torana, cause 14inch tyres were cheaper than 13's & easier to get ahold of in the width I wanted.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:37 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 97 el ghia

NSW, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
BOSS429 wrote:

sound's to me much like an apple product lol

my build thread

the-garage-f53/maso-s-el-fairmont-ghia-build-t112744.html

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:45 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

I have a car.

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Not the best threadmine but definately worthy of appluase :roll:

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:36 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

the sam wrote:
Not the best threadmine but definately worthy of appluase :roll:

Yeah the pic was reflective of that as well.

I have a car.

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

my thought is if you dont have the cash for new quality rims, dont buy new. I got a set of Sparco racing jap import 17's with brand new dunlop digitec (?) directionals for $500. The bloke had imported them for a saloon meet, showed the wheels on the day and then stored them. They weigh about as much as a stock 13 or 14 ( f**k all), all alloy and tough. The mrs hit a gutter with them and apart from a small scratch they were as good as gold. She said to buy a new rim to replace the scratch so I checked the new price and there au $1000+ per rim not including taxes and getting it to oz, not to mention tyre aswell.
My point being yes its easy to say why buy second hand when you can have new for similar money but thats whats fueling the crap chinese rim trade. Generally if something sounds too good to be true it generally is. Second hand bargains can be had but price generally depicts quality when buying new.

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

This wheel is a factory AU SR wheel, No 6-8mm min thickness here.

Attachments:
AU SR mag wheel.jpg
AU SR mag wheel.jpg [ 83.13 KiB | Viewed 346 times ]

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 6  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next