Ford Australia closing manufacturing 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Ford Australia closing manufacturing
Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford Falcon BF XT Wagon

VIC, Australia

Well this sucks...

Although this is the end for Ford AUS. Any news about FPV?
Maybe this means that the Mustang might be coming over here though! Not fussed about the Taurus. Look ok. But not as good as a Falcon.

Who's gonna be locking up thier falcon in 2016? Give it 20 years and it might be collectible!

Project #1: BF XT Wagon. " ICWAGGN"
Project #2: Can't afford it!!!

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

It is a very sad day that now Ford has done to Australia what GM did to NSW in 1980. Image

I always thought it was a lousy thing GM did to this country considering all the money that was GIVEN to them over the years and now Ford has done the same. I will not buy any other kind of Ford, there really isn't anything Ford wise I could fit into anyway.
Looks like my AU III XR6 will be my LAST car.

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:57 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

GTFORDMAN wrote:
phongus wrote:
Matti wrote:
Such a damm shame that such a bloody good car is going to be shelved, because the Ford America is more concerned about their local market, and not International markets.

It is a shame, but as you said, Ford USA shot itself in the foot...in saying that I don't think they really cared much for Ford Australia. By killing off Ford Australia, Ford USA keeps some manufacturing in the states while exporting everything out, win win for them.

if they think for one second that we will buy there Fwd crap & keep them in business for years to come they are sorely mistaken! the American don't even want their Fwd s**t over there (Ford Fusion), whats makes them think that we would want it after 50 years of proper rwd!

It's true that Ford Falcon supporters like the rear wheel drive, however sales for small/medium front wheel drive cars are going out the door. Hate to say it, but the rear wheel drive market is dwindling and only those who truly can afford to buy one would, pretty much a niche market in comparison. If they bring the Fusion here (I don't mind it...besides front wheel drive) they might make some sales depending on the price tag. If they bring out an AWD version, it would be a good contender.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 EL Falcon - Last of the EL's

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
GTFORDMAN wrote:
phongus wrote:
Matti wrote:
Such a damm shame that such a bloody good car is going to be shelved, because the Ford America is more concerned about their local market, and not International markets.

It is a shame, but as you said, Ford USA shot itself in the foot...in saying that I don't think they really cared much for Ford Australia. By killing off Ford Australia, Ford USA keeps some manufacturing in the states while exporting everything out, win win for them.

if they think for one second that we will buy there Fwd crap & keep them in business for years to come they are sorely mistaken! the American don't even want their Fwd s**t over there (Ford Fusion), whats makes them think that we would want it after 50 years of proper rwd!

It's true that Ford Falcon supporters like the rear wheel drive, however sales for small/medium front wheel drive cars are going out the door. Hate to say it, but the rear wheel drive market is dwindling and only those who truly can afford to buy one would, pretty much a niche market in comparison. If they bring the Fusion here (I don't mind it...besides front wheel drive) they might make some sales depending on the price tag. If they bring out an AWD version, it would be a good contender.

you are right, but i still don't like fwd it's just really sad that people are being forced to buy mass marketed crap!

i suppose one silver lining to be had (if you could call it that) is that they will drop the Falcon badge so it doesn't have to suffer the indigeneity of being fwd :oops:

why are women like clouds? eventually they f**k off and its a really nice day.

telling the truth is just lack of imagination

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ford xg ute

NSW, Australia

well ive predicted this to come for years, falcon and territory don't really fit into Americas "one ford" goal.
sad really.
as far as people not buying front wheel drive, id say 90% of Australia probulbly would not know/or care if its front or rwd, its inevitable that most worldwide cars will end up being fwd, more interior room, more compact engine and gearbox and anyone who driven a focus st know that fwd can still be fun.

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:42 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

QLD, Australia

There is nothing happy about the closures. Just think though, it may not be the death knell of the falcon, they will all become collectible :D

As for the after market bits and pieces, there will be an initial decline but I am hoping some of our enterprising manufacturers get access to machining gear and continue to manufacture the bits we need. Mini did it and you can order everything to make your own car! Took ten years but they got there.

Maybe there will be a good outcome...we all knew this was inevitable!!

Sad day

Hooroo

Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

Can't see there ever being 1 last GTHO now...which is a real shame...
Then again if they did manage to punch one out...then that mother would be an instant collectors item for sure, would be great to see.

I'm pretty sure the writings on the wall for Holden too..maybe a matter of time for them...even though the mid sized sedan of today is the "new large car" with dimensions not much different. People just don't want to buy them anymore..

Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:02 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ford xg ute

NSW, Australia

I'm pretty sure the writings on the wall for Holden too..maybe a matter of time for them...even though the mid sized sedan of today is the "new large car" with dimensions not much different. People just don't want to buy them anymore..[/quote]

yep I 100% agree, Holden will stop manufacturing in Australia around 2016 as well, if it weren't for fleet sales Holden commodore would be doing just as crap as ford falcon in the sales. its just the world we live in now I suppose, small cars will dominate our roads, I suspect the main reason things like hiluxes sell so good is the discounts and tax breaks that abn/and tradies get. take away the discounts and tax cuts and they be hooken up the 6x4 trailer to a fiat bambino like the rest of us lol

Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:47 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

like my parents got rid of their AU coz they said too big too much fuel! ... car they replaced it with ain't that much smaller but they reckon it uses less fuel

so....? :roll: :?

Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

russell 351 wrote:
yep I 100% agree, Holden will stop manufacturing in Australia around 2016 as well, if it weren't for fleet sales Holden commodore would be doing just as crap as ford falcon in the sales. its just the world we live in now I suppose, small cars will dominate our roads, I suspect the main reason things like hiluxes sell so good is the discounts and tax breaks that abn/and tradies get. take away the discounts and tax cuts and they be hooken up the 6x4 trailer to a fiat bambino like the rest of us lol

Except that Hilux diesel consumption is much better than Falcon fuel consumption around town (on the highway isn't much difference). I'm sure petrol hiluxs chew, but then I don't see why you would buy a 4x4 in petrol. Hiluxs have a less competitive new car market compared to falcons also (although this could change if more s**t Chinese brands bring out competing trucks).

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:46 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

skidder wrote:

wrong. Holden have commited (both internally do dealers) and externally to the public/media that they WILL be building at least two cars here until 2022. What is likely is that the second car (besides new cruze) will be a camry sized car not a full size sedan

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2