Fordmods Logo

Ford Cyclone (Duratec 35). 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Ford Cyclone (Duratec 35).
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:05 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cyclone_engine

"The Duratec 35 (code-name Cyclone) is a family of automobile engines from the Ford Motor Company. The first version, a 3.5 L V6, appeared in September 2006 in the Lincoln MKZ. Its displacement can be increased to 3.8 liters, meaning a Duratec 38 could come soon after. Mazda calls its version of the Cyclone the MZI.
The Duratec 35 was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 2007.
The Cyclone is an all-aluminum engine based on the Lincoln/Jaguar Duratec 30 DAMB, and includes variable cam timing on the intake side, a feature already found on the Jaguar AJ30 and Mazda AJ versions of the 3.0.
The new heads relocate all accessory drives to the front of the engine with a flush chain drive. Unlike the current Duratec 30 used in most North American Ford applications, this engine features direct acting bucket style valve actuation (with shim adjustment) instead of roller finger followers with hydraulic lash adjusters. The new combustion chambers are reshaped as well.
Direct injection, turbo charging and a dual-stage variable length intake manifold can be added later. Centrally-located sparkplugs, and a 10.3:1 compression ratio are other features. The Duratec 35 is ULEV-II compliant and is said to be capable of meeting the PZEV requirement as well.
Official SAE certified engine output is 265 hp (198 kW) and 250 ft-lb (339 Nm) on 87 octane gas, but could reach 300 hp (224 kW) once planned features like gasoline direct injection are added. This is a substantial upgrade in power from the Duratec 30, and bests all competitive engines except the newest version of Nissan's VQ35DE and Toyota's 2GR-FE[1].
The 3.5 L engine is the same exterior size as the 3.0 L Duratec 30, and is intended to replace it in some applications as a standard or optional power upgrade, notably the Ford Taurus in the 2008 model year. Production began in 2006, for the Ford Edge, Lincoln MKX, and Lincoln MKZ. Eventually the company expects the engine to be available in 20% of all Ford vehicles by the end of the decade. The Duratec 30 continues in production for other vehicles, such as the Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan.

The Duratec 35 displaces 3.5 L (3496 cc/213 in³) with a 92.5 mm (3.64 in) bore and 86.7 mm (3.41 in) stroke. The first batch of aluminum blocks was made by Teksid in Mexico and is now being made by JL French, while the heads come from Nemak in Alabama, and the crankshaft comes from Bharat Forge of India. The engine is assembled at Lima Engine in Lima, Ohio, with expansion planned in Cleveland Engine Plant #1.
Current applications:
• 265 hp (198 kW) at 6250 rpm and 250 ft-lb (339 N•m) at 4500 rpm
o 2007 Ford Edge
o 2007 Lincoln MKX
• 263 hp (196 kW) at 6250 rpm and 249 ft-lb (338 N•m) at 4500 rpm
o 2007 Lincoln MKZ
o 2008 Ford Taurus
o 2008 Ford Taurus X
o 2008 Mercury Sable
• 2007 Mazda CX-9 ("MZI")
Possible future applications
• Ford Mustang
• Ford Falcon (Australia)
• Ford Territory
Duratec 37
A 3.7 L version of the Cyclone is reportedly being developed for the Lincoln MKS and other vehicles, starting in the 2009 model year
Twin Force
A direct-injected, twin-turbocharged version of the all-aluminum Duratec 35 has been developed, producing 430 hp (321 kW) and 400 ft-lb (542 Nm) of torque. The Twin Force 3.5L V6 is intended to deliver the performance (on demand) of a typical large displacement 6.0 L-class V8, with the normal driving (highway) fuel efficiency of a 3.0 L to 4.0 L class V6.

Gasoline direct injection more precisely manages fuel flow into the cylinders, for more efficient combustion and emissions control, when compared to port injection. Twin-turbo charging forces more air into the engine on demand, allowing additional fuel to be injected and burned, producing more power: 118 hp (88 kW) per liter in the case of the Twin force.
Technologies for the twin turbo charging system were developed in cooperation with Volvo Cars, and the gasoline direct injection system is a joint development between Ford and Bosch based on Bosch DFI systems already in production.
The engine is also capable of operating on any mix of E85 ethanol and premium gasoline, and makes its debut in the Lincoln MKR concept coupe/sedan, introduced at the 2007 North American International Auto Show".

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

Sounds pretty flash.

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

Sounds lacking in torque :(

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FPV BF MKII F6

QLD, Australia

the TT version might be interesting but the standard one looks s**t

OBS35N is gooonnnneeee.
Gone for good..... Damn fence posts!!!!!

OBS35N #2 (XXF6XX) just bought, bring it on

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

The stocker would go alright in a sub 1400kg falcon but no way in hell is it adequate for something the same weight as a BA/BF.

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
The stocker would go alright in a sub 1400kg falcon but no way in hell is it adequate for something the same weight as a BA/BF.

Got to agree with this, again everyone looks at peak power and torque, torque is lower and at a much higher rpm.

If you have a look the peak torque is way down against NA and turbo models.

Stock current Barra engine 190kW of power @ 5250rpm and 383Nm of torque @ 2500rpm
Vs Duratec 35 198 kW at 6250 rpm and 339 Nm at 4500 rpm

In even the lightest weight vehicle with both having the correct gearing I bet the Barra would still whip the Duratec 35's a*** due to having a hell of a lot more torque and at a much lower RPM, and it would be much worse for the Duratec 35 in a heavy vehicle.

The stock Turbo Barra's 245kW of power @ 5250rpm and 480Nm of torque @ 2000rpm might not whip the Duratec 35 direct-injected, twin-turbocharged version but we all know they aren't pushing the stock engine, I my guess is the turbo version Duratec 35 would be the flagship comparable to Typhoon's 270kW at 5250 rpm and 550nm from 2000-4250rpm, it is producing roughly 440nm@1500rpm and 539nm@1750rpm (almost the Duratec 35 turbo's peak torque).

And again we know this is not the limit of the Barra engine, you can get more out of the Barra turbo with just computer cam timing adjustment because apparently Ford hasn't done a lot of work with this yet, not mentioning the standard fuel timing editing.

The Barra engine has only been out nearly 5yrs and when basically it is only for the Australian market we should be proud of it, if it was for a market the size of US alone this engine would be able to be refined to meet Euro 4 specs, unless they can get a Duratec to produce low down torque I think Australians are getting shafted if we get it.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:21 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

dont you mean when?

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

yeah...looks like a definate now... "one door opens as another one closes".. and is a huge "point of chane in the falcons long line of history"..

so the battle begins.. ALLOY TECH VS DURA TECH...

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I know Ford Oz probably didnt get much of a say in what engine it got in the end, but I bet they dont sleep soundly at night anyway.

This will have true blue Ford drivers up in arms as much as it would have dropping the V8 like one rumor stated.

I know we cant fight it, but Im still ashamed. Feel like we are all loosing our best friend really.

Now we wait for its release, and then figure out how to shoehorn a BF Barra motor into the orion as say get stuffed america. I FERVENTLY hope its possible.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

More Grunt wrote:
I know Ford Oz probably didnt get much of a say in what engine it got in the end, but I bet they dont sleep soundly at night anyway.

This will have true blue Ford drivers up in arms as much as it would have dropping the V8 like one rumor stated.

I know we cant fight it, but Im still ashamed. Feel like we are all loosing our best friend really.

Now we wait for its release, and then figure out how to shoehorn a BF Barra motor into the orion as say get stuffed america. I FERVENTLY hope its possible.
pretty damn sure the orion will still run the barra i6 motor..

Post subject: Dropping the V8 revisited??????????
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

More Grunt wrote:

I feel your pain! My concern is that this feels like the infamous time when Ford made the monumentally bad decision to drop the V8 & I believe is still paying for! This decision to import a motor IMO is somewhat political & smacks of Ford trying to put leverage on the Govt. in relation to the tariffs. Ford also need to shoulder some responsibility too as they always seem to be slow to react to the market. i.e. LPG or diesel Terry! Having said all that though, just maybe Ford will be able to tune this new motor to a comparable torque output to what is currently being achieved!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]