Fordmods Logo

Hi from the Ford Discovery Centre 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Hi from the Ford Discovery Centre
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi all,

I have been directed here by Wayne (aka LTDHO). Some of you may already know me from round the traps, and I have probably even met a number of you but here goes for those who I haven't yet come across..

My name is Felicity and I am the Education & Public Programs Manager at the Ford Discovery Centre in Geelong, Vic. The Ford Discovery Centre is the only Ford interactive museum in Australia, and occupies a site adjacent to where production of Ford in Australia began in 1925.

The Centre is a non profit organization and was opened in April 1999. We showcase the history of the Ford Motor Company of Australia through an ever changing selection of vehicles, information on panels, and interactive displays. Also on show is information on how Ford design and manufacture vehicles in this country.

Coming up on display next month are a bunch of Mustangs from the Mustang Club of Australia. We also have a Members program you may be interested in which for an annual fee, allows you entry to the Centre for the duration of your Membership, offers discounts on Ford branded merchandise, and monthly activities. On the 21st of this month, we are off on our annual pilgrimage to the Ford Proving Ground! Get in early if you'd like to be a part of that one! The Proving Ground is always a very interesting place to visit, and we also get a go in some of the test mules! (as a passenger but hey... it's still fantastic)

I am happy to field questions about the Centre from any of you, and will endeavour to keep you all up to date on what is going on.

Look forward to hearing from some of you soon. I don't always get a chance to look at websites, but will endeavour to get back here as often as I can. Email is probably the best way to reach me fdinfo@deakin.edu.au

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA GT

WA, Australia

hello to you too!!! :P

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

Sounds good, pity your in Mexico. :D

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: LTDHO

VIC, Australia

Thanks for joining up and letting us For fanatics know what's happening at the Discovery Centre. :D

Please keep us informed of new displays and events.

We will have some cruises up sometime.

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Welcome to the site Discovery.. as Bowsaw said - shame you're in Mexico. (We have plenty of Holden displays here in SA... :cry: )

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the welcome guys, and thanks for pointing out that we are a non profit organization 4.9 EF Futura. We are offering some in-kind support to help promote this site though. See here for details : http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... 270#103270

I haven't had an opportunity to visit the National Motor Museum, I assume that is one of the Holden displays you are referring to. I do have a trip planned to visit there though, will have to squint as I go through the Holden wing lol.

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 2008 WQ Fiesta XR4

SA, Australia

I'd love to look through there one day, even the only motor museum here, The Birdwood Mill is Holden sponsored :?

2008 WQ Fiesta XR4
2007 LS Focus CL

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:33 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

It's good to see a company as big as Ford and the Discovery Centre willing to open their doors to little ol' Fordmods, and recognise us enough to allow us to put our own personal vehicles on display, for all to see. Show off to alot of the Ford, and general motoring community, what people are doing with their cars, and in general for Fordmods and its members, to get the kind of public exposure that isn't really possible.

Something like that can't be measured in $$$ anyways.

Felicity, thanks for joining up and keeping us up to date on the happenings at FDC... A trip around the Proving Grounds would definately be something im up for.

Do you still do the engine plant tours... I went on one a couple of years back, but missed out on seeing a lot due to the BA's imminent release, so the tour went past all the bits that needed to be hidden. Although, I have to say thanks to the tour guide who provided alot of info on the specs of the BA engine... It was very informative.

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: FBT

VIC, Australia

Where is the Ford Proving Ground? That would be a pretty sweet day :D

"12 yards long, two lanes wide, 65 tonnes of american pride" Fairlane

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:58 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Right, to address your questions and comments:

We would love to have your cars on display. Most of us here are rev-heads and really enjoy having modded cars on display. The public also love seeing modded cars.

Yes, we still do plant tours of the Geelong Engine & Stamping Plant, and the Broadmeadows Assembly plant. Both these sites are also visited as a group by our Members program each year. Groups of 15 or more can book these sites for a 10am or 1pm tour each weekday. For Broadmeadows tours, advance bookings of 3 months is suggested due to their popularity. Otherwise, for individuals, a public tour runs at Broadmeadows on the 3rd Friday of each month at 1pm, and at Geelong, the third Friday of each month at 5.30pm. Bookings for all tours are made through the Discovery Centre, contact me via email if you have any questions, or call the Centre on 03 5227 8700.

The Proving Ground is a fantastic day. Put it this way, i've been there quite a lot and I never get sick of it! :twisted: Last year we got to go in the as yet unreleased updated GT, the Typhoon, and did some off road work in some Territorys. Awesome fun, especially when it was sprinkling with rain. You need to be a Member to attend this event though. Prices for Memberships range from $35 for employees and concession card holders, to $50 for an adult single year Membership. Discounts apply for out of state Members, and for multiple year Memberships. When you consider the Membership allows you free entry to the Centre all year (normal adult entry is $7), 10% off all merchandise, free monthly activities including speakers, video nights of archive film material, free entry to our annual car show (normally $15), quarterly newsletters, and a FDC Lanyard, i.d. and limited edition numbered keyring, it adds up to great value.

The Proving Ground is located just outside Geelong in Victoria.

I hope I covered everything. Thanks again for your welcome.

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MkII XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

felicity, would it be possible to post some details about how you go about becoming a member of the FDC??

thanks
tom

We'll keep our cow s**t in the country, you keep your bull s**t in the city.

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

No worries Tom. You can do so by conatcting me by email or phone. Payment can be made via credit card over the phone if this suits, or cheque/money order, or by cash at the front reception.

Call me Mon, Wed Thurs or Fri on 03 5227 8700. That is the reception number, ask to be put through to Felicity.

Hope to meet some of you soon.

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:10 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

bowsaw wrote:
Sounds good, pity your in Mexico. :D

ahhahahahah LOL
hi from the drunk wog..

RIP SCOTT

Post subject: cool
Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA Turbo

QLD, Australia

Hi Felicity,

Glad to see the involvement from you and the discovery center.

Is there any chance of a QLD center opening?

Or what about transport with accomodation tour packages that include Broadmedows,proving ground and discovery center.

Maybe can be organised every 6mths or so depending on the demand.

Post subject: Re: cool
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

pkr wrote:
Hi Felicity,

Glad to see the involvement from you and the discovery center.

Is there any chance of a QLD center opening?

Or what about transport with accomodation tour packages that include Broadmedows,proving ground and discovery center.

Maybe can be organised every 6mths or so depending on the demand.

Thread miner, hahahaha, but good for another post, hey whore boy???

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next