Post subject: Holden keeps up its good name
Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Surf, Turbo Diesel

VIC, Australia

Holden in huge car recall

March 14, 2006

LOCAL car producer Holden has recalled more than 120,000 cars to fix a problem with the side airbag system.
Holden today said the recall involved 89,167 cars sold in the domestic market and 34,552 export vehicles built in Australia between April 2003 and December 2005.

The list included Commodore, Statesman, Caprice, Monaro and Crewman models sold in Australia and similar vehicles sold in various countries, badged as other brands and models.

Holden said the recall only affected cars fitted with a side airbag system as a standard feature or an optional extra.

It had been issued following reports that side impact airbags had inflated under circumstances which did not warrant inflation.

"This may be caused by static electricity charge, generated in particular conditions, which stimulates the airbag inflator if an earthing wire under the seat has come loose," the company said.

"Such conditions can be generated only when the car is stationary and the person is exiting or has exited one of the front seats, as sufficient charge must be generated and the outer side seat bolster compressed to reach the side airbag inflator."

Holden said the problem would be fixed free of charge with the installation of an additional earth spring at the front of each height adjustable seat to correctly earth any charge.

It said there had been 13 reports of incorrect airbag inflation since 2003 but no reports of any accidents as a result.

Holden's executive director of engineering, Tony Hyde, said inflation would occur only while the car was stationary.

"Electrostatic charge accumulation usually requires some sort of moving activity which is generated while swinging out of a seat," Mr Hyde said.

"This action also brings the occupant closer to the side impact airbags as the backrest side bolster is compressed when getting out of the seat.

"The bolster will not be sufficiently compressed while driving to allow any charge to reach the inflator."

Holden said owners with affected cars would be contacted individually.

Details of the recall also were being published in national newspapers.

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:48 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

mm not good

but then ford has had simalar recalls as well

recalls are normal now days
even though car companies spend big $$ reproducing real world situations nothing can replicate a real world situation as well as normal ppl
things such as static charge like this

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

meh,. why do recalls bother anyone ... considering the amount recalls that happen every year - it isn't like Ford hasn't had any....

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Much prefer a manufacturer to recall the cars as opposed to turning a blind eye. Much prefer conservatism in this area.

Should benefit the brand as opposed to harming it IMO. And besides, cant sell new cars to dead people.

Does sound like an expensive one tho.

I also thought FOMOCO had a similar issue with static building up and discharging airbags?

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

It's only airbags.

It would have been more exciting if it were engine or tranny issues.

THEN we would have had somethig to give Holden lovers the s**t about.

I'm not exactly going to tell my work mate (who LOVES Holdens) "Oh suck s**t, Holden had to recall it's dog s**t cars because of..........................................................................................................................air bag depolyment issues..."

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Much prefer a manufacturer to recall the cars as opposed to turning a blind eye. Much prefer conservatism in this area.

I guess Ford learn't a lesson about turning a blind eye in the US. I think it was the Ford Pinto or some el cheepo car they made there that had a problem with exploding fuel tanks if the car was rear ended. Turns out Ford new about it, and had worked out that it was probably going to be cheaper to do nothing and settle any cases against them than to actually do a recall. In the end the judge stung Ford Motor Company for it!

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: MY06 REX

WA, Australia

Do falcons even have side air bags in the new models anyway?

The Evil Strawberry

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

some do i belive? territory maybe?

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5 Star Boxcar

NSW, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
4.9 EF Futura wrote:

I guess Ford learn't a lesson about turning a blind eye in the US. I think it was the Ford Pinto or some el cheepo car they made there that had a problem with exploding fuel tanks if the car was rear ended. Turns out Ford new about it, and had worked out that it was probably going to be cheaper to do nothing and settle any cases against them than to actually do a recall. In the end the judge stung Ford Motor Company for it!

yeh i was reading that it would have only cost about $11 or so to fix

Kezz's 5sp Box Car ---> RPD enhanced with a bunch of other stuff

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

Yeah Falcons, have side airbags, my mates BA Series 1 Futura has them.
They're the same at the Crumpledoors, they have them in up-spec models, or their safety models, like Acclaim/Futura.

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

this is the second time holden has had recalls on airbags, the first time had something to do with the bosch module or sensors.
i'm not sure if it was a recall or a 'fix while being serviced' fix.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Can you recall about 2 years ago they had another recall regarding the power steering failing!!
A mate at work has to have her side airbags checked, it involves removing the seat covers to gain access to the faulty components then hopefully getting the seat covers back on with no visible damage. Holden dealers knew about the problem befor the media told us!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]