Fordmods Logo

Motorcycle License Question? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Motorcycle License Question?
Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:21 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 2005 BA MKII FUTURA

Power: 145 rwkw

SA, Australia

Hey,

I'm looking at getting my Motorcycle license, so i can save money on the comute to work into the city every day. (about 60km's a day just going to and from work)

Now my question is, I aleady have my Car license, what is the process to add a motorbike license to it...

Do i have to resit the written test? Or do i just goto the motor registration office, say i would like to get my motorcycle license, pay what ever the fee is... then goto one of those courses..

PS. I'm in adelaide if that makes any difference.

Cheers

2005 Ford Falcon. BA MKII Futura
White
Stock as a Rock - 145.4rwkw

Post subject: Re: Motorcycle License Question?
Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:29 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

AussieScorp wrote:
Hey,

I'm looking at getting my Motorcycle license, so i can save money on the comute to work into the city every day. (about 60km's a day just going to and from work)

Now my question is, I aleady have my Car license, what is the process to add a motorbike license to it...

Do i have to resit the written test? Or do i just goto the motor registration office, say i would like to get my motorcycle license, pay what ever the fee is... then goto one of those courses..

PS. I'm in adelaide if that makes any difference.

Cheers

I don't know about SA, but in Vic you have to sit a Learners test...which can be a one full day course or a 2 day course. You will need to sit a written test after a ride practical test and once you pass both, you can ride a restricted motorcycle on your L's for 3 months. After 3 months you can go for you probationary test. Once you pass your probationary test, you will still be riding a restricted motorcycle for 12 months. After 12 months you get your full license assuming you don't lose points and have no more restrictions on the motorcycle. How ever you may still need to display your P plates if you haven't been on the road for 3 years continuously on either car or motorbike.

If you have a full drivers license, you don't have to display a P plate once you have passed your probationary test. If you are on your Ps or Ls for your drivers license, then you will need to display the Ps. Obviously L's need to be displayed while on your Learners.

This is for Victoria, but it may be the same for SA, check with your transport thingy.

Good luck and ride safe

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

In NSW you book in with the RTA to do your Pre Learners course. 2 days, 4 hours a day (they supply the bikes) and at the end of it you get a certificate of competancy which you then take to the RTA and then you book in to do your written test. Once you pass your written test you get your pic taken for a new license and they give you a new one. its exactly the same as the old one except where it says class, it will now come up with R lrn (with the expiry date of your learners licesnse) along with the classes of other vehicles your are licensed to drive.

In 3 months time you make at a booking at the RTA for you to do the Pre Provisional course and the MOST (Motor Operator Skills Test).
1 day, 8 hours (bring your own bike or hire one of theirs cause they are easier for the U turn) of mixed theory and rider training with a group rider thrown in. And at the end of it you do the MOST at the end. Once you pass your MOST you get another certificate of competancy which you take to the RTA and they upgrade your license to show class R prov EXP XX XXX XX (expiry date which is 18 months from the date you got your P's).
Then after 12 months you simply pop down to the RTA and get your picture taken again and they will give you a nice shiny new license saying class R.

And then you go out and get yourself an insane litre bike and highside it :lol:

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

i got my motorbike L's last week. all i did, was go into Service SA, say i want to get my motorbike licence, they gave me a form to fill out, and $25 later i had my motorbike L's :lol:

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

yep, and there are a lot of people here getting there Ls and riding these frigging Agricultural/Dirt bikes on the road, and they have exhausts that sound like a f**k jet engine f@rt, and they go do monos everywhere n ride like its a motorcross enduro. now sorry to say this, but that makes me want to run them off the road... itd make them less dangerous to other drivers on the road.

however i have respect for the people that ride ROAD bikes on the ROAD, and ride them properly. not so much people that have their FARM bikes on the ROAD, they belong on the FARM.

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

alfy wrote:
yep, and there are a lot of people here getting there Ls and riding these frigging Agricultural/Dirt bikes on the road, and they have exhausts that sound like a f**k jet engine f@rt, and they go do monos everywhere n ride like its a motorcross enduro. now sorry to say this, but that makes me want to run them off the road... itd make them less dangerous to other drivers on the road.

however i have respect for the people that ride ROAD bikes on the ROAD, and ride them properly. not so much people that have their FARM bikes on the ROAD, they belong on the FARM.

I take it you don't like Motards?

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

That is for people who already have a cars license... Then you have to Go to MotorCycle training courses to be able to get your P's, i'm pretty sure..

Cheers for the info....

I never want to be one of the Crazy motorcyclists you see on the roads, i want to be one of the sensible ones that helps bring respect to the motor cycle community.

White

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

AussieScorp wrote:
I never want to be one of the Crazy motorcyclists you see on the roads, i want to be one of the sensible ones that helps bring respect to the motor cycle community.

That all goes out the window the first corner you are cranked right over on and you start feeding in the power as you see the exit. As responsible as you think you are, we are all irresponsible on a bike according to everyone else.
Even Australia's most famous driving instructor (Warren Luff), calls us all "Temporary Australians".

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

AussieScorp wrote:

That all goes out the window the first corner you are cranked right over on and you start feeding in the power as you see the exit. As responsible as you think you are, we are all irresponsible on a bike according to everyone else.
Even Australia's most famous driving instructor (Warren Luff), calls us all "Temporary Australians".

Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:01 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
AussieScorp wrote:

Agreed. I love riding and I thought I'd be sensible until I had a feel for the potential of the bike, even for just a 250cc. You won't know what riding is about until you ride the way a bike should be riden, to it's full potential (obviously only until you have gained some riding skill and confidence), and when you do, you get the best adrenalin rush, excitement, satisfaction and happiness. I never pushed my bike until I started riding around the mountains and it's heaps of fun even on your own. Track days are even more fun, but just a warning, once you track, you never go back...now I have an expensive hobby :(.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:15 am 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

You are all most likely right. hahaha

But atleast heading into it already over the whole, *Hoon* behaviour from the car, and wanting to be sensible 90% of the time... is going to be better than the people out there, who get there license, fully intending to be a speed daemon.

White

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next