Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: No V8 option or I6T?
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon X-DEF

VIC, Australia

I just read this on p.12 of the October issue of Street Machine:

"Ford has pulled the V8 option on Falcons other than the four-valve 5.4Litre XR8. Ford Australia recently shut the Geelong engine plant, killing the 4.0Litre turbo straight-six and threatening Aussie jobs."

Can anyone verify this? Does this mean no V8 Fairmonts, XR6T's or Territory Turbo's until the Orion arrives? First I've heard of it... seems like a drastic move.

Cheers.

250ci 4-speed XD S-Pack, XE S-Pack front bar & rear bumper, 14"x7" & 14"x8" Chevoit 5-slotters, 60mm drop, Fairlane interior, Clarion CD tuner, 4" & 6"x9"s, Pioneer amp.

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ford has got to be completely f**k in the head. I think theyre building a future in taxi/fleet/exports and leaving the aussie ford enthusiast to move onto better things.

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:09 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon X-DEF

VIC, Australia

I must admit, at first I thought it was cool to see XR6 Taxis. Now it's just kind of sad. I would be p****d to be matched in my new sports sedan by an idiot in a mobile yellow accident.

I don't mean to take anything away from XR's, I just think it would be nice if Ford tried to maintain some exclusivity for it's private customers, perhaps by limiting taxi's to only using base- or taxi-special models.

250ci 4-speed XD S-Pack, XE S-Pack front bar & rear bumper, 14"x7" & 14"x8" Chevoit 5-slotters, 60mm drop, Fairlane interior, Clarion CD tuner, 4" & 6"x9"s, Pioneer amp.

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

They have a stock pile of them to use until then - that was stated in one of there anouncements, the one about dropping the pov pack V8.

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

i think this will blow over as they were going to do a sinilair thing back in 1997(got the article to prove it)

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

It's no secret the 3-valve V8 has been dropped but this is first I've heard about the turbo motor being scapped. If its true then its a pity indeed.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Froudey wrote:
i think this will blow over as they were going to do a sinilair thing back in 1997(got the article to prove it)

Feel free to share.

O, and define what you mean by blow over?
They already have droped the base level Barra V8 - she's gone, not being brought over here any more. They've stated they have enough stock to last till the next range.
They've also announced that they're going to take up a Jaguar V8 with the new model.
As for the I6 they've announced that tehy'll be taking the Duratec (or whatever it's called) V6.
So please explain what you mean by blow over?

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

the engine plant wont wont close till 2010. we have the 4L I6 till then when the duratech takes over.

so yes, we still have turbos till then

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

3V engine is no longer in production, the windsor casting plant, where they are made has ceased. We have a stockpile, just like with the windsors. Last windsor cast was in 98.
XR6T engine, along with Barra 6 will stop 2010, when Jag 5 litre also lobs.
Still word of big pushrod 6.4 hurricane yet too.

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

ELGT wrote:
Still word of big pushrod 6.4 hurricane yet too.

can confirm this is being trialled in some prototypes at the moment from an fpv engineer!

Nicko

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Gaz wrote:
the engine plant wont wont close till 2010. we have the 4L I6 till then when the duratech takes over.

AFAIK there is alrready avaliable a twin turbo version of the Duratech, so no reason why there won't be an XR6T after the engine change aswell...

I don't understand why they are waiting until 2010 to close teh engine plant. Surely if the new Orion is coming out next year the new engines should come out with it?
By 2010, the Orion would only be 2 years old, so they wouldn't be building a new model them - just a series/mark 2.
Surely it would be better to build the vehicle for 1 engine configuration, as the I6 is longer than both the V8 and V6, so if they build it with just the V engines in mind they can have a shorter front end.

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef 5 speed

VIC, Australia

my boss was told buy kent youlden the race car driver that will be a twin turbo xr6t on durtec motor

i am in need of a new front bar or good condation secondhand for a 95 ef futra,
lsd for a for ef ,modifed au sump to go in and ef , working air con compressor

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Gaz wrote:

AFAIK there is alrready avaliable a twin turbo version of the Duratech, so no reason why there won't be an XR6T after the engine change aswell...

I don't understand why they are waiting until 2010 to close teh engine plant. Surely if the new Orion is coming out next year the new engines should come out with it?
By 2010, the Orion would only be 2 years old, so they wouldn't be building a new model them - just a series/mark 2.
Surely it would be better to build the vehicle for 1 engine configuration, as the I6 is longer than both the V8 and V6, so if they build it with just the V engines in mind they can have a shorter front end.

VY and VZ were basically identical except the VZ had a completely different V6 motor and the up spec models had a new transmission too.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

fnp wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
Gaz wrote:

VY and VZ were basically identical except the VZ had a completely different V6 motor and the up spec models had a new transmission too.

Note the keyword, new V6. So they had an old V6.
Not a change from an I6 to V6.
Do you relise the difference?
I6 is longer. Means when they plonk a V6 in there they'll surely be space/wasted room.

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I do realize a I6 has different packaging requirements to a V6 but my point was it's not uncommon for manufacturers to fit competely different engines in a very simular bodyshell. The Germans are a good example for this, you can have a 1 series BMW with a 4 cylinder or a big straight six (some tuners have even stuffed a V8 from an M5 in one).

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next