The time is coming 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: The time is coming
Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I have begun pounding the pavement and been searching for my first ford since I finished school in November.

I have test driven a 98 EL Ghia, and hated the steering, and a 94 EF GLi, loved driving it but it didnt have a great sounding engine so had to pass.

I have been honing in on GLi's lately as they are cheaper, however I want to pick one up with as close to or under 150,000 K's.

I am looking at a 97 GLi tomorrow, it has one owner and looks in really neat condition.

There was a mint EL Futura that was too good to be true, I rang up the guy and its not for sale, however its still advetised :(

Is there that greater difference between a GLi and Futura? It is my first car so I am quite contempt with either.

Any of you GLi owning members got anything to say? Just thought id seek the fordmods communities thoughts...

4x Speakers is a little bit of a bumber but should be ok..

CheeRs

1997 EL Fairmont [EHELL] Mods: 2.5" straight through Redback Mandrel Bent Exhaust from cat back, BA XR8 18" Replica's, LPG conversion, Kingspring Superlows - front and rear, Monroe GT lowered shocks all round, Clear side repetors, FPV front floor mats..

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:55 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Aim high, get a EF2 or EL Fairmont Ghia

Owning a GLi just makes people want all the Fairmont goodies.

Soon enough you'll be installing electircal goodies like Fairmont/XR/Police Dash, Trip Computer, Climate Control, Entrance lights... then you'll start on the Interior.

Buy a Fairmont and get the lot. Its the one thing i wish I had done, and If I were to look at another one today, I'd make sure it had a sunroof.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:14 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Krytox is right, I had a gli and spent so much time upgrading (Krytox helped LOL) I wished I bought a Fairmont, which i did eventually, best thing i ever did and the prices of ef/el monts are not expensive at all for a good one

Love getting ripped off by fellow Ford Modders... 4 to date so far since 2005!!!!
Please do it more!!!!

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah I can see it happening... (upgrading the GLi parts)
For some reason I assume it will be hard to get resell value from GLi full of extra's..

Fairmonts 8 speakers certainly beats 4 lol..

There is the "I want now" factor to contend with as I am sick of waiting and GLi's are easier to get hold of haha..

1997 EL Fairmont [EHELL] Mods: 2.5" straight through Redback Mandrel Bent Exhaust from cat back, BA XR8 18" Replica's, LPG conversion, Kingspring Superlows - front and rear, Monroe GT lowered shocks all round, Clear side repetors, FPV front floor mats..

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

Krytox wrote:
Aim high, get a EF2 or EL Fairmont Ghia

Owning a GLi just makes people want all the Fairmont goodies.

Soon enough you'll be installing electircal goodies like Fairmont/XR/Police Dash, Trip Computer, Climate Control, Entrance lights... then you'll start on the Interior.

Buy a Fairmont and get the lot. Its the one thing i wish I had done, and If I were to look at another one today, I'd make sure it had a sunroof.

Well said. GLI's are the s**t pov pack that you'llk be over quick smart. You'll want the high series stuff, and you'll kick yourself that you don't have it. Then comes the time and money finding and fitting the s**t into the gli.

Go the GHIA man.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

Yes, I'd do what everyone is saying, buy a fairmont, fairmont ghia, or even an XR6, I forgot to look at your location and age before posting, but if your states laws and age let you, you could get a V8, but if it's a daily and it does alot of driving then it's not worth it, but then again, fuel is 50c cheaper than what it was a while ago...

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:46 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

i got a fairmont ghia, now i wish i got a fairlane ghia or LTD :( what was wrong with the steering on the EL Ghia? what didnt you like about it?

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Nah no V8's in Vic :(

Yes as Pimp said I can see myself now getting over the GLi. I prefer Velour over Leather interior but alot of Fairmonts for sale on the net have already been modded. I want to get mine stock :) have the fun myself..

There is the mintest XR6 I have ever seen for sale but it is 13.5 grand... Soo good though.

I would give an arm and a leg for this car..

I might aim for an XR6 as it is the car I originally wanted although insurance can go to hell..

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

SVD115 wrote:
i got a fairmont ghia, now i wish i got a fairlane ghia or LTD :( what was wrong with the steering on the EL Ghia? what didnt you like about it?

I believe it is 'Speed Sensitive Power Steering', just felt like I was gliding and it was Too easy to turn the wheel, took the fun out of it..

Link to XR6:
http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/FOR ... ?State=VIC

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Man thats a f**k expensive XR6. Alot of dough for a car worth half that.

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

For example = redbook

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

This looks like a good site, thanks..

ffs my internet is empty for the month, everything takes 20 x longer than it should.

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:33 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

FPV GT Alex wrote:
SVD115 wrote:

I believe it is 'Speed Sensitive Power Steering', just felt like I was gliding and it was Too easy to turn the wheel, took the fun out of it..

Link to XR6:
http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/FOR ... ?State=VIC

I know my EFII has very heavy steering compared to alot of the other cars we've got at my joint, maybe check out some EFII Ghia's they're plenty of fun for a first car and very pimp luxo.

13,500 is way too much for a EF Xr6 i know of a mint condition BA XR6 granted its done 100k kms its the same price though.

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

PIMP_LTD wrote:
Man thats a f**k expensive XR6. Alot of dough for a car worth half that.

yeah i see alot of that, especially on carsales. Apparently the quad lights, couple kilowatts, and bodykit are worth double the price of other falcons.

Also see alot of dreamers asking 5-6k for taxi spec EF/EL gli's. I doubt i'd get more than 4-5k for mine lol..... probably not even that !!

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yep there are more dreamers on Car sales/point there are in the castle; "Tell him hes dreamin"

Do EF/ EF II/ EL Fairmonts have the SSPD as well??

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next