Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Toyota to compete in NASCAR
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Quote:
Next time you put on a superior smile as you whistle past a comfortable couple in their white Toyota Camy just be warned: there's a bunch of big brothers that can blow your hot hatch into the weeds...

Toyota US is to expand its motor racing involvement in the US to include two more categories run by the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (Nascar).

Its Tundra bakkie has raced with increasing success in Nascar's Craftsmen Truck Series for the past two years and now Toyota will enter a Camry in the prestigious Nascar Nextel Cup and Busch series in 2007.

Toyota's involvement - the first foreign automaker to enter this category of racing since Jaguar in the 1950's - means all three Nascar National series will have four manufacturers competing; the others are Chevrolet, Dodge and Ford.

Dave Illingworth from Toyota US said: "2007 will be a doubly special year for Toyota - we'll celebrate 50 years in the US and join the Nascar Nextel Cup series, America's premier racing championship.

"Toyota has been an important part of US motorsport for almost 25 years. We've competed and won in several series and on tracks across America. We look forward to 2007 when the green flag waves to start the Daytona 500 and the line-up features Camrys."

Toyota will this year celebrate its 24th year of participation in American professional car racing. Toyota teams have won Imsa, Cart, IRL and off-road racing championships - including such historic events as the Daytona Rolex 24, the Sebring 12-hour, the Baja 1000 and the Indianapolis 500.

Though a subsidiary of Toyota Japan, Toyota US has a growing presence in North America and is building its 12th factory there. It assembles more than a million vehicles a year in North America – a number that will grow further in the short term as the new plant comes on stream.

Toyota is the fourth-largest seller of vehicles in the US with a 13.3% market share and since 1968 has built more than 12-million vehicles there. The Camry, assembled in Kentucky, is the biggest seller.

More than 6.5-million have been sold in the US and the car has been the top-selling car in the US for eight of the last nine years.

Hmmm... wouldnt mind seeing something like that belt around the Clipsal track either :wink:

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

given the turning circle on those things would you even make it around the adelaide circuit?? :P

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Lol!

Watkins Glen and Infineon raceway both have some fairly tight sections... the NASCARs do make it round them - but they dont look pretty racing on road circuits!!

Lol - they'd probably need to get rid of the painted-on head/tail lights as well....

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

you like watching the nascar series - never got into it myself.. :roll:

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I love it. I'll easily sit down and watch 500 laps of a half mile track.

Superspeedways are the best though. 40 odd cars, 3 wide, 350+ cubic inches of carby fed power in each one, 180mph... its unreal.

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I wish it was avaliable on normal tv - I'd be watching it!!! But getting Austar would steel money that would otherwise be going to my car! :-(

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Can watch the crafstment series (where Marcus will be driving later this year... he's not allowed on high speed ovals yet) at

www.truckseries.com

Altho i dont know what time it'd be in australia when they race in the states...

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

ooo coolies, cheers.

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:49 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Au Fairmont Wagon, BA Tradesman

QLD, Australia

what sort of motor will they run?

FACTS ARE MEANINGLESS.

THEY CAN BE USED TO PROVE ANYTHING!

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

They'll be running the engine that TRD developed a couple of years back when they entered the craftsman series.

358cui, 650hp...

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: ED 5 Speed GLiXR

QLD, Australia

Hey mart are they putting the craftsman truck series on foxtel or what??
Back in the day before digital came in they had a few races on that i watched, but we got digital, then got rid of foxtel and have only just got it back nd i cant see anywhere about it broadcasting the craftsmans trucks. (as the main reason we got foxtel back was to watch marcus' progress).

17" Tezza Steelies, King F**king lows, pedders sports ryders, 2.5" cat back exhaust, pacemaker extractors, T5 manual
Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Nah - they're f**k useless.

In fact - i think they actually came out after the announcement that ambrose was going to craftsman and said "we have no plans to include coverage of the series".

Asshats.

Still get full season of busch and nextel cup... live and then replayed later at a decent hour...

Can only hope they get their act together next year. In all honesty, i dont think marcus will be doing much besides learning this year. I dont think he's allowed to race until the 3rd or 4th round as he doesnt have the required licence for tracks like daytona...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]