Typhoon and Tornado, Stop in Production 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Typhoon and Tornado, Stop in Production
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Concorde

ACT, Australia

The Typhoon and Tornado productions are on hold due to the braking clutch problem, although orders can still be taken. Its kind of hard to sell a car when you don't have one for people to test drive!!

No word as to when they will start production again but it shouldn't take them too long to find another supplier of good quality, heavy duty clutches.

2nd Place Summernats19 SQ Comp, Street Pro 0-600 Class
STEREO - 128.7db
JVC EXAD DVD and surround sound
3 X 10" Lanzar Dual Voice Coil 6ohm Subs
4 X 6.5" Alpine S-Type 2-way, front and back
JVC 6.6cm Center Speaker
Engine -
2.5" exhaust, SS Inductions CAI, K&N air filter. 132.6rwkw

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

i think FPV have to take there R&D department and send them back to the home of s**t cars (the USA)
they are building these cars on the edge of there limits and its not good enough. they need to start over engineering these things if they are going to put big HP through them.
but thats just my opinion. :lol:
i know i have a GT-P that gets driven hard. has only 4900 ks on the clock. has had 1 clutch and 2 CV,s and im still waiting for a gearbox rattle to be fixed.

i still love the car but!!! :D

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:43 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Good thing they let the Tickford name rest on a high point.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

I agree in terms of FPV and Ford not overspecing, they seem to get things to the point of just* working, but dont care if they are going to be reliable in the future if pushed hard or god forbid modified! :o
Yes Tickford have left on a high note, but was the tickford product "always" that good, i honestly dont know? (maybe for another topic lol)
And its not hard for them to sell the car without having a test mule, sales are doing v well, imagine if they had some tester cars out there, theyd be run off their feet; once again.
I hope they fix the problem at hand and not try n cover it up with a bit of touch n go; get to the root n make sure it doesnt happen again, its bad publicity to have something fail again and again after its been "addressed to" imho. :idea: :idea:

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

Oh great ammo for the holdung d***head fans.

Your paying good money for these cars they should put in clutchs and CVs and stuff which are tougher than they need to be. A happy customer will come back in years to come to buy another Ford but if they build things just in tolerance they will lose there customer base in the future years.

Instead of thinking for the now think into the future so the company will survive.

Having said that I will always buy Ford cause I got blue blood. C'mon what happened to the motto "Built Ford Tough".

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

simple cure..... put a proper multi plate clutch in the hi-po 8's and turbo'd sixes

the problem is that ford are compromising between driver comfort and mechanical durability, AFAIC, if you're gonna buy a performance car, you can either get a slushbox or live with the rattle of a multi plate clutch and a clutch that puts a bit of strain on your left leg

Banned

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

they are using a dual clutch plate on the f6!
obviously didnt test it enough

Nicko

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

xr8 dismantler wrote:
they need to start over engineering these things if they are going to put big HP through them.

Good call.

Particularly when they're producing cars which they KNOW people are going to start modifying. I spose they can take the opinion of "ppl shouldnt mod our cars"... but who wants a reputation for building "nice cars but s**t to mod" ?!?!?

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Yeah its pretty rediculous really, but seing it from thier point of view the Tornado and Typhoon are already quite expensive and although its not really the point, if they start putting some real quality parts into the beasts then the prices will skyrocket.

They start putting in all the best u beaut clutches and Cv's or whateva and next thing you know they start charging an extra $10,000-$20,000 for em.

Hopefully people will still buy them thou!

ne way im prolly just talking crap but thats just my opinion. :roll:

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF XR6 Ute

NSW, Australia

Good call Darren.

I remember when the XR6 turbo was released and in Wheels or Motor one of the engineers said he was "Watching the aftermarket with anticipation." They bloody well knew that these things would be modified off their tits. So why didn't they create a drivetrain that would have a chance in hell of surviving? I continually think of the Nissans and how much head-room is built into their engineering. That is one of the reasons why they are so popular. Owners get to tak it to the next level where their cars really do become grenades, but it is their choice and the cars go bloody fast.

BF XR6 Ute,ED XR6 Manual (SOLD),XD 4V 351 toploader 9in

Zoom and Extreme magazines Production Editor

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:08 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: buick

VIC, Australia

In todays herald sun motoring section. FPV spokesman Andrew Maclean is saying that prodrive are getting a solution from AP racing and that the problem was a small spring in the intermediate pressure plate.
He is likely to apologise to Motor magazine after FPV accused Motor mag testers of flat changing while testing the cars.
Yep I agree with xr8 dismanterler the american arm of Ford have no idea how to build a passanger car nowdays ( Taurus. Sable, Topaz ) need I say anymore of the hidious cars Ford makes over there.

ghiaman

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

xr8 dismantler wrote:
i know i have a GT-P that gets driven hard. has only 4900 ks on the clock. has had 1 clutch and 2 CV,s and im still waiting for a gearbox rattle to be fixed.

2 cv's and a clutch?!!? you must EITHER drive it real hard or just be unfortunate, and at 4000km, i wouldn't be driving it too hard, although they say to drive it and not p***y-foot around.
lets hope ford fixes this problem for good.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

smoke_rubber wrote:
xr8 dismantler wrote:

2 cv's and a clutch?!!? you must EITHER drive it real hard or just be unfortunate, and at 4000km, i wouldn't be driving it too hard, although they say to drive it and not p***y-foot around.
lets hope ford fixes this problem for good.

it gets driven hard but not abused. they are different things.
i like driving the car to the rev limiter ect. rev liniter in 3rd is a common thing. :D and cornering hard ect. but i dont rip skids everywhere i go.
or do stand stills.

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Dr_Hoon wrote:

I continually think of the Nissans and how much head-room is built into their engineering. That is one of the reasons why they are so popular. Owners get to tak it to the next level where their cars really do become grenades, but it is their choice and the cars go bloody fast.

i race a nissan patrol. standard diffs and axles. standard gearbox
standard tailshafts. basically stock motor except the snail bolted to the side and the autronics ecu and a few go fast goodies. 145 rwkw
the thing is bullet proof. i have never broken anything on the car because it was under engineered only from abuse.

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

xr8 dismantler wrote:
i race a nissan patrol. standard diffs and axles. standard gearbox
standard tailshafts. basically stock motor except the snail bolted to the side and the autronics ecu and a few go fast goodies. 145 rwkw
the thing is bullet proof. i have never broken anything on the car because it was under engineered only from abuse.

But as a dismantler you would know having a Nissan Patrol in the wrecking yard is a waste of money, better getting Landcruisers because they break easier and you will be always selling parts.

Patrol differential = huge, haven't seen one break yet, Landcruiser = s**t

Patrol 4.2 etc gearbox= Medium truck size (mostly cast iron), need 4 people to pick up safely and this is still a task.
Landcruiser= gearbox average size, two persons easy pull out with either 75 or 78/79 series, 75 series slightly stronger (still crap) but 78/79 box nicer to use.

Basically the only thing I like about Landcruisers is the engine 1HZ as it is nearly bullet proof compared the rest of the vehicle.

I used to work on "mines" 4WDs that is why I have this opinion, like a turbo falcon, normal people don't break them but not everybody is normal.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next