Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: WALLABIES JOIN FORD V8 STARS IN PIT STOP CHALLENGE
Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:39 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Ahead of this weekend's second Bledisloe Rugby Test with the New Zealand All Blacks; four of the Australian Wallabies have put their skills to the test with leading Ford V8 Supercar outfit, Team Betta Electrical.

With V8 superstars Craig Lowndes and Jamie Whincup as coaches, Phil Waugh, Rodney Blake, Lote Tuqiri and Sam Cordingley, took part in a pit stop challenge against the Team Betta Electrical crew.

Up against a Ford team that can change all four wheels in just seven seconds during races, the Wallabies put in a solid effort to set a time of 14 seconds.

To round-out the event, a backs versus forwards challenge proved that backs were quicker at changing wheels when the combination of Tuqiri and Cordingley beat Waugh and Blake.

"We have done some events in the past with the Wallabies, but this was certainly a lot of fun," said Lowndes.

"When you cross sports you certainly get a lot of respect for what is required, today was no exception.

"They keep on asking me along to a training session, but I'm not so sure about packing into a scrum or hitting the tackle bags.

"A lot of people think of rugby being a team game, but motor racing being an individual sport. This challenge clearly showed the team element on the race track.

"Sometimes it's hard to see your crew when you come down the pit lane, I think if we had these guys on our team we would stand out from the crowd!

"They have a huge game this Saturday, here's hoping they can unscrew the All Blacks as well as they did my car's race wheels," said Lowndes.

Phil Waugh enjoyed the opportunity to catch-up with the stars of V8 Supercars.

"It's not that simple to do believe me," said Waugh.

"The Team Betta Electrical crew make it look relatively easy. However, the rattle guns and wheels are heavy; so the actual changing of everything is a difficult process.

"Like in rugby, preparation is everything. The Team Betta Electrical crew has a fantastic set-up at their workshop to practice their pit stops. We might get close to them after a couple of hundred run throughs.

"A couple of years ago I went to the Bathurst 1000 and was amazed with the size of that event. It's hard to get time to get to the races, but I'd be keen to be at Bathurst for a Ford win!

"Like Ford versus Holden, the Wallabies-All Blacks rivalry is intense and we are determined to score a win this Saturday night in Brisbane."

"Like Ford versus Holden, the Wallabies-All Blacks rivalry is intense and we are determined to score a win this Saturday night in Brisbane."

Ford next goes V8 Supercar racing at Sydney's Oran Park on 11-13 August.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

and only a forward could come up saying changing tyres is just like a scrum :P

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]