Fordmods Logo

Whats the point in a 1000km race? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Whats the point in a 1000km race?
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I've decided that V8 Supercars are a bit screwy. We have Bathurst 1000, 1000km's of racing, yet due to safety cars it ends up really just being a 7 lap sprint at the end, with the previous 154 laps just serving to set the order of begining the sprint and eliminating a few other competitors. It just seems a bit queer, that a driver whose worked hard over the previous 150 laps to build a lead can have that taken away from them. Surely they can implement a fairer system?

And then you have Richards causing the safety car, a tactical move from Holden to put the Kellys back in the game? Amazing that the officials call a safety car when he's 200/300m's from the track at the end of the kitty litter, but not when he's actually sitting on the side of the track at a corner a lap or two later (if they had called it then Holden would have had absolutely no chance of winning, as race would finish in safety car)!!!

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:39 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

the point is that the race is a endurance race

to test the cars and drivers over such a long race distance, sometimes safety cars are there sometimes they are not.

no idea why the marhsalls did not call a safety car for the last crash my thinking is that he was on the inside exit of the left hander and beached causing little danger to the rest of the race.

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

The first one for richards was hard to work out, laps were running out and for richards to get the car there he had to go off at full speed and even then he had to drive it to where he stopped. I think the officials are getting too safety car reliant. They should be enforcing the flags more.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: v6 anniversary accord

NSW, Australia

my twisted ming thought the richards thing was a take one for the team kind of thing...bunch the field back up and give the kelly boys a chance....then he hit the f**k wall and my conspiracy went flying out the window lol...

'WALKER f**k MY WIFE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS s**t SIGGIE'

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA MkII XT Wagon

NSW, Australia

wouldnt u rather be safe then sorry? i mean a life was already lost over the weekend at the track

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Pulco wrote:
wouldnt u rather be safe then sorry? i mean a life was already lost over the weekend at the track

i'm not saying no safety cars, (as for being safe than sorry should of been one for richards second crash tehn) just a new set up to make it more fairer and just in relation to the gaps between drivers.

Post subject: Re: Whats the point in a 1000km race?
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
And then you have Richards causing the safety car, a tactical move from Holden to put the Kellys back in the game? Amazing that the officials call a safety car when he's 200/300m's from the track at the end of the kitty litter, but not when he's actually sitting on the side of the track at a corner a lap or two later (if they had called it then Holden would have had absolutely no chance of winning, as race would finish in safety car)!!!

Yeah that was s**t, hypocritical bastards. Lowndes had it in the bag there, and they brought the safety car out for a car that could still drive and left no debris on the track? But then when there was another stack they didn't call the pace car? hmmmm.

sounds like ratings chasing to the close of the race to me.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

i didn't hear any whinging at sandown last year when the safety car actually worked to ford's advantage keeping lowndes and muller in the race which they eventually won.

like pulco said, better to be safe than sorry. you may think he was well out of the way but there is a chance (small) that someone else could go off there and instead of hitting the tyres, slam into another car. the reason for not bringing it out later was due to the spectacle of it all. he wasn't really in the way and with only 12 or so cars left and 2 laps to run, did you really want to see the race finish under safety car.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Whats the point in a 1000km race?

the same point as in any race, be in 10kms or 1000kms. safety cars happen, it's part of racing.

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

the point is that it would be f**k gay if it was any shorter!!! Its a physicall endurance test on the cars to keep them going all day long, thats why we love it so much

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:33 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

its just to make it a much more suspenseful race to watch....

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

I'm not saying make it shorter. Just that it's stupid that in the end the first 150 odd laps didn't mean that much and it came down to a 7 lap sprint. They needa do something with the safety car situation to retain the gaps between drivers.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 98 Patrol

QLD, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
I'm not saying make it shorter. Just that it's stupid that in the end the first 150 odd laps didn't mean that much and it came down to a 7 lap sprint. They needa do something with the safety car situation to retain the gaps between drivers.

That is a stupid comment.... They had to be up there after 154 laps without there car dying or crashing also pit tactics had to be right to be in that 7 lap spint at the end. U should watch netball if u cant understand that.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
It just seems a bit queer, that a driver whose worked hard over the previous 150 laps to build a lead can have that taken away from them. Surely they can implement a fairer system?

I think you've answered your own question. That's the beauty of an endurance race. Motorsport isnt meant to be fair. It's meant to be cruel... an emotional roller coaster ride.

Where else can you watch someone battle the most ferocious track in world motorsport for 5 hours only to have it all snatched away in the bat of an eyelid? Especially when it's someone elses fault.

That's the best thing about endurance racing. A 131 lap preamble where you get p****d as a cut snake, then 30 laps of nail biting racing where it all comes to a front.

I would have liked to see the local yellow flags used a bit more effectively, or at least think twice before bringing out the safety car on a 6.2km long track.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XE 351 & BA XT FALCON

WA, Australia

I agree that was f***in crap that they got the safety car out for richards when he was so far in the kitty litter.if it had of been a holden leading they would have left richards there :evil:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next