I'll just buy 2nd cars forever.

Blue blooded.

Post subject: Re: First drive: Ford Falcon four-cylinder
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
It will be interesting, that's for sure. If it was a n/a engine, it would be a flop. Due to being force fed, it has a good chance of success. Especially if they do an LPI version of it, taxi's will buy lots of them.

I'd love to take one for a test drive, even tho I'm not in the market for a new car, and probably won't be for another 10 years. Gotta pay down more of the house first. For those who are, I think this could be what swings a fair few people back to the blue oval, as they seem to be buying large family sized 4cyl car's from other makers.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

thats what i thought when i herd it was going to have a snail hangin off it, it might be a great success as a taxi being cheaper to run but no different to the 6 pot falcons,
doesnt have much less power considering the down sizing of the motor , you can still get the povo pack or the better models

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

How many time do we need to go over this topic.

Last time it was bought up was when Ford Pulled a production ecoboost 6cyl from the assemble line and put it in a F150 Baja race truck and then finnished the race in 38hours.
Quote:
When it comes to the Baja 1000, simply crossing the finish line is reason enough to bust out the champagne. Ford has announced that its 2011 F-150 Ecoboost race truck has managed to cover the entire 1,061 mile course in 38 hours and 20 minutes. According to FoMoCo, the truck put up with some of the most grueling terrain on the planet – racing through temperatures below freezing and above 100 degrees Fahrenheit. More impressively, as you may recall, this particular 3.5-liter V6 engine entered the cross-country rally with the equivalent of 10 years of abuse on the clock. The very same lump went through extensive endurance testing at the Cleveland Engine Plant before being bolted into an F-150 that was used as a log skidder in Oregon.

Finally, the same engine drove around a NASCAR track at full speed while towing 11,300 pounds. Ford then unbolted the engine and plopped it into the race machine you see above – bone stock and without so much as a rebuild. With 365 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque, the EcoBoost was more than powerful enough to pull the Baja F-150 across the line. Click past the jump for the full press release.

the 4cyl ecoboost engine is built with the same technology. Highly strung yeah, built to deal with it, yes. It's a shame all the one eyed bogans won't go near it. If this car sells well it will be part of the reason ford continue to build the falcon range. If it doesn't we will be that next step closer to no falcon at all.

So what's worse. A 4cyl falcon that is faster and cheaper to run then the egas has been up untill now. OR no falcon at all?

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

but we are still talking about a 2 litre engine powering a HEAVY car. It may produced 150+ kw turbo'ed, but its still trying to pull a Falcon along. I would think they would need atleast a 2.5 to justify changing to a 4 for starters, but Ford dont want to spend too much money so they have decided to pull a donk out of a hot hatch sized car and expect it to perform in a car thats greatly heavier. I would have rathered a 3.0 tdi, as soon as you say diesel now days your bound to sell them in droves. My boss has a vw transporter tdi, I think thats around the 3L mark and it flys and is quite good on the juice if you drive it calmly. A 2L turbo mondeo motor in a Falcon to me is a bandaid on open heart surgery

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

79raven wrote:
skidder wrote:
79raven wrote:
So the New Falcon will be a crappy camry with a ford badge. What a crock of s**t. Nobody want a 4 cly family car. f**k d***head. Ill stick with my old Ef thankyou

Pull your head in. :|

Quite easy to see the purpose of this car is in fact to take away sales where people who don't want a 6 cylinder would otherwise buy a Camry - obviously if someone still WANTS a 6 cylinder they aren't going to step down from buying it.

Reality is most people buying new cars aren't performance enthusiasts; I daresay 50% probably don't give a s**t about the difference in acceleration between it and 6 cylinder. The worst part is a lot of the people who are going to buy this car have so little idea about cars they associate the number of cylinders alone with more $$$ in the long term (regardless of engine size or other factors) and that is all they care about.

Obviously if you were buying a car you wouldn't buy one of these "s**t" cars, but luckily Ford marketing team are smart enough to offer products which appeal to a broad range of people, not just the person likely to keep driving his EF even though there is a brand new 6 cylinder FG on the market which is apparently all they should sell because that is what he would buy if he was in a position to buy a new car...

mabe you should pull your head in, ford have already said its going to drop the i6, so what do you think is going to replace it? People dont buy Camry's for any other reason than the fact that Toyota has a rep of bullet proof cars. If the turbo 4 is the way to go, why are Holdens selling Commy 3.5 6's like hot cakes? If most new car buyers are not interested in performance, why are the turbo 4's and big 8's selling really well?
Who's to say I am not in the position to buy a new car? If I did buy a new car, from what I have read and heard about the new fords, that definately wouldnt be on my mind let alone a 4 cly Falcon. The reason I dont buy a new car is simple, you spend 30+k, add repayments over a 5 year contract then reolise you have just spent 40 to 50k on a car thats worth jack s**t, not to mention your 4 cly turbo falcon is getting slammed at the lights by an $1800 e series falcon with minor mods. Give me something worth buying and I might consider selling my soul to a finance company, until then yeah I will stick with my Ef thanks....... atleast its a 6

You just proved my point - you aren't the market. The majority of the population that doesn't care about slamming people from the lights as long as they are NOT in an e series falcon is who will buy this car. I sure as hell won't be buying a 4 cylinder falcon, but I would be naive to think because I personally don't want one it isn't a smart move by Ford.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA Falcon

Power: 106 rwkw

SA, Australia

skidder wrote:
The majority of the population that doesn't care about slamming people from the lights as long as they are NOT in an e series falcon is who will buy this car. I sure as hell won't be buying a 4 cylinder falcon, but I would be naive to think because I personally don't want one it isn't a smart move by Ford.

2012 will be a make or break year I think for Ford Australia. They really need to get their marketing boys a swift kick in the knads and get the word out. All I hear are Commodore adds here in SA and there $9,500 included options yada yada yada.... Do we here anything about the new Egas Falcon.. nope zilch I wouldnt even know about it if it wasnt for here...

I agree if the 4cyl has marginal power differance then people will buy it and be thankful at rego time too (cheaper to rego a 4 cylinder), they want power and still be cheap to run there is the LPi Egas. A diesel option would have been pretty good also (how hard to fit one from a Territory?) There are limits as to what Ford Aus can do as we are a very limited market.

2003 BA Falcon Egas Taxi Pack - XR Replica
Tpak MKII Build Thread

1984 ZL Fairlane
The Project

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:11 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford BA FUTURA 2002Ded Gas Wagon

VIC, Australia

I couldnt agree more with you AU99. Fords marketing has been up s**t creek for years :shock: . It's as clear as glass that Ford are not looking to be making cars in Australia in the future. :cry: All their advertising is mostly pushing their imports, Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo and Ranger :oops: . The only Australian vehicle they push is the DIESEL Territory, which used an imported engine :| . If they were really interested in getting Falcon sales, they should be pushing the Gas Falcon and PUSHING heavily the running costs and savings :shock: . Running a full sized "BIG CAR" for the fuel costs of the Corrola, or small cars :shock: . Do they push the 6 Cylinder motor as AUSTRALIAN Designed and Built? "NO" because that might cause people to suport the Falcon and Australian made :evil: . Ford are just retarded :( . I mean they dropped the Wagon and Factory Taxi packs, which were huge in fleet sales and complain about dropping sales and how people are looking for smaller cars, what s**t. :evil: I mean hell if the LPI gas engine develops more power than the petrol motor, why dont they invest in doing an LPI V8 and get the XR8 up again, or a gas Territory instead of an imported power train :?: . Ford current position is all of their own making, it's not our fault. :evil:

Rant sort of over, seething rage slowly retreating. :twisted:

I'm constantly surrounded by IDIOTS!!
Guns and Rockets mounted on cars? Vote NOW on Licence reforms.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

In my opinion Ford marketing went down hill after the XC Coupe....Then it plummeted even further when they dropped the V8. It did rise a bit when the V8 made it's long overdue comeback but as of late Ford marketing has taken a dramatic dive once again.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:58 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I might see if I can take the 4 cylinder for a drive and see how it goes.

By the way 79raven...it may be a 4 cylinder, but if it can produce the same power/torque as an AU 6 cylinder, I dare say it can haul the weight of the car. Engines these days are built more accurately than before and so it is safe to say that they won't be under too much stress when you push the big boat around...even at higher RPMs.

I wonder how well/crap it will tow though :?

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Quote:
The reason I dont buy a new car is simple, you spend 30+k, add repayments over a 5 year contract then reolise you have just spent 40 to 50k on a car thats worth jack s**t, not to mention your 4 cly turbo falcon is getting slammed at the lights by an $1800 e series falcon with minor mods. Give me something worth buying and I might consider selling my soul to a finance company, until then yeah I will stick with my Ef thanks....... atleast its a 6

Lol at comparing an E-series with an FG **clap clap for the handicapped**
I think I'd rather the 4-Cyl Turbo FG over an old EF Fairmont, you seem to think
that these are going to be a slug - somehow I think not...
0-100 in just over 7sec... whats an EF do it in?

and for some reason I think these are more aimed at the fleet buyer personally - not some bloke
who wants to justify keeping his grubby ole falcon.
You do know a lot of people buy new cars out right too yeh?

phongus wrote:
wonder how well/crap it will tow though

I'd imagine that if you're going to be towing you'll end up buying the 6cyl model

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

It may be a good thing, it might get alot of people to start buying falcons again. I would imagine you could get some decent power out of them as well. Nothing like the xr6t, but still decent power.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

last month camry and mazda 3 were the best sellers...commodore was 4th and falcon wasnt even in top 8.

As for towing, you are always going to get morons with no idea who will try towing stupid amounts; in the end anyone who is buying a car for it's towing abilities won't be looking at the 4 cyl.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU fairmont ghia

ACT, Australia

id like to know what the fuel economy would be like?
it may produce a 7 sec 0-100 car but how much juice does it burn in the process?

i dont think the ecoboost engine is the answer to fords problems, but who knows it could at least be a step in the right direction

AU FAIRMONT GHIA: 5.0 Dealer ordered SVO mods ( seeking clarification ATM), tickford suspension.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

[quote="skidder"]last month camry and mazda 3 were the best sellers...commodore was 4th and falcon wasnt even in top 8.quote]
Just the point, Holden or aussie Ford are never going to be the top now days, the asians have it all over us, just like the Skyline at Bathurst. Now Holden have a 3.5........6. If ford stay with the 6 and retire the straight 6 for something new, be it dist. or unleaded or gas and can capture the no. 4 spot off holden, then problem solved. 4th aint a bad place to be.
To the bloke who said that some people buy new cars outright, if you have that kind of cash, why the f**k are you buying a falcon?
How many new car buyers out there buy them outright compared to refinancing there home loans or going other forms of credit? Also you may think an Ef doing an fg is a no chance,then tell me how many blokes on here have spent less than half the price of a stock fg on an e series and are pulling excellent numbers. Hell the Tj Fagna I had that was stock apart from mags and a k&n air fliter use to flog stock Falcons, and that was worth $2500

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Fairmont Ghia & TS Magna

NSW, Australia

79raven wrote:
Hell the Tj Fagna I had that was stock apart from mags and a k&n air fliter use to flog stock Falcons, and that was worth $2500

stock falcons as in e series, a series or b series? cause tj magnas aren't excessively powerful as i regularly drive one with 3 into 1 extractors running parrallel to the rear axle then they merge into one 2.5" pipe, high flow cat, k&N panel filter, bigger injectors and a tune, even with this thing being manual it would not beat a falcon six overall maybe a takeoff.

i test drove a this year models toyota hilux SR5 the other day with a 4 cylinder turbo diesel the other day, this thing weighs a lot more then a falcon and i was impressed with it, so i will leave my 2 cents on the 4 cylinder falcon debate when i test drive it......

I don't know what to write in here LOL
Bear's Build Thread

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 5  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next