Post subject: Re: First drive: Ford Falcon four-cylinder
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:27 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: XR6 BAII

NSW, Australia

Ford Unveils New Smart Design FG Falcon MkII
Thu, Sep 15, 2011

[Article has been filtered to EcoBoost only. To read the full article click here]

...Falcon EcoBoost is the first global application of an EcoBoost engine in a rear-wheel drive and will introduce the latest smart engine technology from Ford to large car buyers in Australia.

EcoBoost uses direct injection and turbocharging to deliver more power and performance from a lower displacement powerplant, yet with impressive fuel economy and low CO2 emissions.

“EcoBoost technology gives us everything customers have told us they want: a combination of the performance they expect and the fuel economy improvements they demand that, until now, has only been achievable with the latest-generation turbo diesel powertrains,” Graziano said

EcoBoost petrol engines use much of the same technology that is found in today’s state-of-the-art turbo-diesels, such as:

A high-pressure direct injection fuel system fed by a common rail that delivers a precise amount of fuel in the exact spot for fast and complete burn
Turbocharging to create a more dense mix of air and fuel in each cylinder
Special pistons with optimised bowls in the centre to improve combustion efficiency – these pistons are also oil-cooled, which reduces in-cylinder temperatures
Reduced CO2 emissions and improved fuel economy

Just like diesels, Ford’s EcoBoost engines deliver outstanding performance and driving enjoyment at all speeds, however, EcoBoost accomplishes this at less cost than a similar-displacement diesel engine.

EcoBoost engines are already on sale in a number of Ford vehicles around the world and by 2013, will by available in 80 per cent of the company's global nameplates.

“Ford customers have embraced EcoBoost technology because of its ability to deliver power and performance with uncompromised fuel economy,” Graziano added.

“With its introduction to Falcon, we’re expanding its reach to more customers so they can enjoy its unique blend of power, performance and fuel economy.”

With more than 125 patents and patent applications on its EcoBoost technology, Ford's global EcoBoost engine family is the cornerstone of its near-term sustainability plan to deliver high-volume, affordable, fuel-efficient vehicles that customers both want and value...

2005 Falcon BAII XR6
'Random' Breath tests: 28
Blow-overs: 0
Defect stops: 11
Defects: 6
Breakdowns: 1

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

Extremely happy to see it will be RWD.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Magna's dont flog falcons..... that is all.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford BA FUTURA 2002Ded Gas Wagon

VIC, Australia

Look, I don't think the 4 clyinder will be a problem given the output, (Mind you thats the factory tuned output. Once people start messing with these the output will grow :shock: ) but taking a long term view, you can easily see that these are steps to easing out of production in Australia :cry: . Will the Eco bost be built here? No like the Diesel in the Territory it will be imported. So theres at least 2 drive trains not made in Australia :cry: . Once the Fleets and Government Start picking the 4 over the 6, the Good old Aussi Barra 6 will disapear :cry: . If they dont make the 6 motor anymore and bring all the drive trains from overseas anyway, its not a huge leap to see them rebadging a Mondeo or Taurus as the new falcon. And hey if they arent making the Falcon, do you think they'll keep the line open for the Territory or just do a rebadge import as well :cry: ? So Boys and Girls hang onto your Australian Falcons as they will probably be the last. :shock: :cry:

Doom and Gloom over. The crystal ball has clouded up so no further predictions for the moment :roll: .

I'm constantly surrounded by IDIOTS!!
Guns and Rockets mounted on cars? Vote NOW on Licence reforms.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Jeremy BA wrote:
Look, I don't think the 4 clyinder will be a problem given the output, (Mind you thats the factory tuned output. Once people start messing with these the output will grow :shock: ) but taking a long term view, you can easily see that these are steps to easing out of production in Australia :cry: . Will the Eco bost be built here? No like the Diesel in the Territory it will be imported. So theres at least 2 drive trains not made in Australia :cry: . Once the Fleets and Government Start picking the 4 over the 6, the Good old Aussi Barra 6 will disapear :cry: . If they dont make the 6 motor anymore and bring all the drive trains from overseas anyway, its not a huge leap to see them rebadging a Mondeo or Taurus as the new falcon. And hey if they arent making the Falcon, do you think they'll keep the line open for the Territory or just do a rebadge import as well :cry: ? So Boys and Girls hang onto your Australian Falcons as they will probably be the last. :shock: :cry:

Doom and Gloom over. The crystal ball has clouded up so no further predictions for the moment :roll: .

You need to dispose of that crystal ball ASAP....It's evil, Evil I tells ya :lol:

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

79raven wrote:
skidder wrote:
last month camry and mazda 3 were the best sellers...commodore was 4th and falcon wasnt even in top 8.quote]
Just the point, Holden or aussie Ford are never going to be the top now days, the asians have it all over us, just like the Skyline at Bathurst. Now Holden have a 3.5........6. If ford stay with the 6 and retire the straight 6 for something new, be it dist. or unleaded or gas and can capture the no. 4 spot off holden, then problem solved. 4th aint a bad place to be.
To the bloke who said that some people buy new cars outright, if you have that kind of cash, why the f**k are you buying a falcon?
How many new car buyers out there buy them outright compared to refinancing there home loans or going other forms of credit? Also you may think an Ef doing an fg is a no chance,then tell me how many blokes on here have spent less than half the price of a stock fg on an e series and are pulling excellent numbers. Hell the Tj Fagna I had that was stock apart from mags and a k&n air fliter use to flog stock Falcons, and that was worth $2500

well some C*** has to buy a falcon new before you get your grubby mitts on them...
oh ma gawd brew! congrats on having a grubby old falcon thats like beating new cars - does it look impressive owning a old car compared to a new one...

OI SHAZZ! WATCH THIS.. TOTTALLY GUNNA SMAAAASSSHHH THAT BLOKE THAT JUST BOUGHT A BRAND NEW CAR! YOU GETTING WET OVER THERE LOVE!

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ash wrote:
Remember the Jetsons, they didn't have cars.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Hate to say it, but IMHO the FG doesn't have too much going for it now - bland styling etc saved only by a good 6 or the Coyote. I `get' the logic that this 4 cyl might be a good engine, but as an overall package the FG with a 4 cyl isn't going to be much different popularity wise to a mitsi 380 . 380's actually go pretty well; the looks aren't appealing to me but they're not downright offensive (much like an FG) so they should make sense for this great mob of purchasers who , in some people on here's opinions, line up to buy bland cars like this....uh, so how ARE 380 sales going these days???? I aint saying nothing now, but I DO wonder exactly how popular these 4 cyl FG's are going to be...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
Hate to say it, but IMHO the FG doesn't have too much going for it now - bland styling etc saved only by a good 6 or the Coyote. I `get' the logic that this 4 cyl might be a good engine, but as an overall package the FG with a 4 cyl isn't going to be much different popularity wise to a mitsi 380 . 380's actually go pretty well; the looks aren't appealing to me but they're not downright offensive (much like an FG) so they should make sense for this great mob of purchasers who , in some people on here's opinions, line up to buy bland cars like this....uh, so how ARE 380 sales going these days???? I aint saying nothing now, but I DO wonder exactly how popular these 4 cyl FG's are going to be...

Fleet and taxi sales will make up the bulk of all 4 cylinder Falcon purchases then the remainder will be made up of fuel conscious Falcon lovers...Thats just my opinion anyway.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

revcore wrote:
tearlejc wrote:

Fleet and taxi sales will make up the bulk of all 4 cylinder Falcon purchases then the remainder will be made up of fuel conscious Falcon lovers...Thats just my opinion anyway.

quite possibly...I've seen a few 380 and Prius taxi's around the place. They will account for SOME, not all sales. If, in Adelaide where they were made, they couldn't sell enough 380's as taxi's to keep them alive, then this shows that private sales are obviously important too. People dropping 20-40 k's on a new car want something they like, even if they're not performance car heads.

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

79raven wrote:
skidder wrote:
last month camry and mazda 3 were the best sellers...commodore was 4th and falcon wasnt even in top 8.quote]
Just the point, Holden or aussie Ford are never going to be the top now days, the asians have it all over us, just like the Skyline at Bathurst. Now Holden have a 3.5........6. If ford stay with the 6 and retire the straight 6 for something new, be it dist. or unleaded or gas and can capture the no. 4 spot off holden, then problem solved. 4th aint a bad place to be.
To the bloke who said that some people buy new cars outright, if you have that kind of cash, why the f**k are you buying a falcon?
How many new car buyers out there buy them outright compared to refinancing there home loans or going other forms of credit? Also you may think an Ef doing an fg is a no chance,then tell me how many blokes on here have spent less than half the price of a stock fg on an e series and are pulling excellent numbers. Hell the Tj Fagna I had that was stock apart from mags and a k&n air fliter use to flog stock Falcons, and that was worth $2500

You are too preoccupied with comparing engine size and cylinders...ffs this 4cylinder has more power than your EF came standard with?

An EF vs FG could definately be a chance, but you seem to be retarded as this wasn't the point? I will put it in bold this time...While you may be happy driving around an EF and beating new stock cars from the lights, anyone who has gone out and bought a brand new 4 cylinder FG probably doesn't care about how fast it is and will piss themselves laughing when the bogan in old s**t box falcon drags them from the lights. It doesn't matter if you drive a 13 second EF, in the eyes of someone who isn't a car enthusiast they won't even identify it as an EF, it will always just be a piece of s**t (the same as you probably think of their car).

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

if this was facebook i would've liked that post :D

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:43 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

skidder wrote:
79raven wrote:
skidder wrote:
...anyone who has gone out and bought a brand new 4 cylinder FG probably doesn't care about how fast it is and will piss themselves laughing when the bogan in old s**t box falcon drags them from the lights. It doesn't matter if you drive a 13 second EF, in the eyes of someone who isn't a car enthusiast they won't even identify it as an EF, it will always just be a piece of s**t...

Couldn't have said it better myself... +1.

2005 Falcon BAII XR6

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:43 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

skidder wrote:
79raven wrote:
skidder wrote:
...anyone who has gone out and bought a brand new 4 cylinder FG probably doesn't care about how fast it is and will piss themselves laughing when the bogan in old s**t box falcon drags them from the lights. It doesn't matter if you drive a 13 second EF, in the eyes of someone who isn't a car enthusiast they won't even identify it as an EF, it will always just be a piece of s**t...

Couldn't have said it better myself... +1.

2005 Falcon BAII XR6

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

skidder wrote:
79raven wrote:
skidder wrote:

You are too preoccupied with comparing engine size and cylinders...ffs this 4cylinder has more power than your EF came standard with?

An EF vs FG could definately be a chance, but you seem to be retarded as this wasn't the point? I will put it in bold this time...While you may be happy driving around an EF and beating new stock cars from the lights, anyone who has gone out and bought a brand new 4 cylinder FG probably doesn't care about how fast it is and will piss themselves laughing when the bogan in old s**t box falcon drags them from the lights. It doesn't matter if you drive a 13 second EF, in the eyes of someone who isn't a car enthusiast they won't even identify it as an EF, it will always just be a piece of s**t (the same as you probably think of their car).

Thats gold!!!
Like + 1000

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 5  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next