First drive: Ford Falcon four-cylinder 

Page 4 of 5 [ 65 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: First drive: Ford Falcon four-cylinder
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford BA FUTURA 2002Ded Gas Wagon

VIC, Australia

I can see it now,........ (The crystal ball cleared for a few seconds) :roll:
Post Topic: How to fit a FG Turbo 4 cylinder into my EF falcon. 8-)

Ok so petrol is $4.20 a litre :shock: and I cant afford the $200 odd dollars a week to fill it :cry: . I got a mate whos got a Wrecked FG with the XR (Volvo Spec) 177kw 4cyl turbo and 9 speed (8 speeds are coming, we have been supplying electric motrors and gearboxes for the production line to a company i cant name.) Automatic :shock: . Can I just swap the motor and Box? Will be nice to have more power than my clapped out 4ltr :cry: , and in the future I can just add another 3 turbo's and I recon i'd get 900kw at the rears :lol :oops: : . Also how hard would it be to fit the 23 way adjustable 10 position memory seats into the EF? :roll: :lol: ........................

(crystall ball clouds up again) :roll:

Point being, regardless the amount of cylinders the KW rating for the motor is more than adaquet (how ever it's spelt :oops: ). Up until the LPI engine the gas vehicles were 153kw and they get around more than fine. If the engine was only a 90kw 1.6 litre then I think there would be real problem and you would have every right to b**ch and moan about it. :twisted:

I'm constantly surrounded by IDIOTS!!
Guns and Rockets mounted on cars? Vote NOW on Licence reforms.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Jeremy BA wrote:
I can see it now,........ (The crystal ball cleared for a few seconds) :roll:
Post Topic: How to fit a FG Turbo 4 cylinder into my EF falcon. 8-)

Ok so petrol is $4.20 a litre :shock: and I cant afford the $200 odd dollars a week to fill it :cry: . I got a mate whos got a Wrecked FG with the XR (Volvo Spec) 177kw 4cyl turbo and 9 speed (8 speeds are coming, we have been supplying electric motrors and gearboxes for the production line to a company i cant name.) Automatic :shock: . Can I just swap the motor and Box? Will be nice to have more power than my clapped out 4ltr :cry: , and in the future I can just add another 3 turbo's and I recon i'd get 900kw at the rears :lol :oops: : . Also how hard would it be to fit the 23 way adjustable 10 position memory seats into the EF? :roll: :lol: ........................

(crystall ball clouds up again) :roll:

Point being, regardless the amount of cylinders the KW rating for the motor is more than adaquet (how ever it's spelt :oops: ). Up until the LPI engine the gas vehicles were 153kw and they get around more than fine. If the engine was only a 90kw 1.6 litre then I think there would be real problem and you would have every right to b**ch and moan about it. :twisted:

I DO remember when pollution gear came in in the mid/late 70's everybody said `well thats the end of performance mods'...people still modify cars, of course, but frequently on the wrong side of the law, so there's the added revenue raising of the defect / repair cycle. :roll: Point is, people may very well try and use newer cars 4 cyl engines like you describe. Good luck to them, maybe not everyone's cuppa. Me, I'll stick to my oldie, thanks all the same...oh, and its adequate. BTW.. :lol:

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

i'll just wait till it come's out and get some real reviews, before i make my decision. don't judge a book by it's cover....tho not my bag

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:35 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2005 Ford Falcon BA

VIC, Australia

Just buy a great wall , and when it blows up buy a new one . Its a throw away world .

if you got it flaunt it !!!!!

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

Thunderbird wrote:
Just buy a great wall , and when it blows up buy a new one . Its a throw away world .

Have you seen the safety tests on the Great Walls? ANCAP gave the V240 a 2 star rating. Those things are death traps....You might not live long enough to throw it away and buy a new one if you are involved in an accident.

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

skidder wrote:
You are too preoccupied with comparing engine size and cylinders...ffs this 4cylinder has more power than your EF came standard with?

An EF vs FG could definately be a chance, but you seem to be retarded as this wasn't the point? I will put it in bold this time...While you may be happy driving around an EF and beating new stock cars from the lights, anyone who has gone out and bought a brand new 4 cylinder FG probably doesn't care about how fast it is and will piss themselves laughing when the bogan in old s**t box falcon drags them from the lights. It doesn't matter if you drive a 13 second EF, in the eyes of someone who isn't a car enthusiast they won't even identify it as an EF, it will always just be a piece of s**t (the same as you probably think of their car).

OK, its been a while since I have been on here because of work and I have just read you colourful post.
Speaking of retarded, mate your 20 odd years old commenting about a " family car". First, grow some hair on your sack before you decide to think you know all there is to know about what a family car should be. Second of all, we dont all live a mummys and daddys house and are able to purchase a new car outright because we pay $100/week and thats all our outlaying expenses.
Let me enlightenen you on what " families" want in a car seeing I actually am a family man of 3 kids:
All want room to move and easy to use controls
The wife wants something that makes here daily jobs of driving kids to school and shopping easy, and is acceptable look wise in the eyes of the other mothers
The Father wants something that is easy to fix and has enough power that it makes him forget his wife has his balls in a jar on the fireplace and his kids have his bank details, and he achieves all this out of having a car that reminds him of the days when he was 20 something and still had his testies.
Now the Ef may not be a new car, but one thing your retarded self may not be able to reolise is that most " Family people" are old enough to remember further that 10 years ago, so they do know what car is what. Also, an older car done up will always get more attention that a brand new car.
Now, a 2L turbo pulling a Falcon is like an evo pulling a car trailer. To achieve the numbers of 0-100 in 7 seconds means that the 2L motor will have to have some serious decompression happening, meaning turbo lag when the turbo is not engaged. Now I dont know many woman who can actually drive ( sorry to those ladys on here who are an exception), let alone a turbo. Most woman know the one on the right is go, the one on the left is stop. Try telling these people about correct gear selection to run the turbo engine without constantly running into lag.
Also, low compression 2L that will be relying on the turbo to bring the Falcon to speed means the turbo will be engaged alot more than cars half it size. Turbo on means more air means more fuel means high consumption. Ford can tell the greater public the car will run off the smell of an oily rag at 100, and thats what most people look at for economy, but it will be consumption to get to 100 that will guzzle and will be overlooked in ad's.
To all that think I am wrong, hey your entitled to your opinion, like I am. You have not called me a retarded so I have no problem. I do hope that this car is as good as they are trying to say, for the sake of our beloved Falcon. Personally, unless on a diesel car, I just dont like turbo's. I have owned them and they are fun on little jap cars and huge power outputs can be achieved on anything by bolting one on, but thats the point. A turbo takes the engineering out of internal work to make great power gains. What I mean is go back 20 years ago and blokes were magicians who got big gains on engines, now days you can buy a Kia and bolt a turbo on and have an instant street machine. Turbo's seem to have taken alot of the artwork out of engine builds. I know there are people out there who do both the art and the turbo, but not alot. Anyway thats my lot

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:15 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XG Longreach + ED XR6

VIC, Australia

You all seem to be forgetting about fleet buyers, who are going to love this.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

brandon89 wrote:
You all seem to be forgetting about fleet buyers, who are going to love this.

If you read back you'll see that fleet buyers have been mentioned several times.

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, NCII V8

SA, Australia

Pretty simple if you dont like a 4 cyl falcon well dont buy one the 6 will still be there

Ford needed to widen their options for customers. they are loosing to much with fleets going to holden and Toyota as they offer a eco option. these cars will mainly be Taxi's and government fleet cars, as they always use full size cars but they want a cheaper to run option. Plus if you think if the Government buys 100,000 commies at say $205 a quater to rego and the Falcon being a 4 cyl is $169

They save a whopping $3,600,000 just in rego every guater, its worth them doing and hence why Ford is jumping into the market place of Full sized 4cyl cars

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 93 ed fairmont ghia

NSW, Australia

there is only one problem i see with this 4cyl turbo falcon. alot of families buy cars that have to teach or share a car with their kids for a few years, being on p plates, restrictions say we cannot drive turbo cars. but i think it is excelent like people have said for taxis, families who want better fuel economy and im sure it could still be tuned and put out some good power numbers. its not the be all, end all of the 6 cyl falcon, theres still original xd's and stuff still getting around.

ED Fairmont Ghia. t5 conversion w h/d exedy, 3:45:1 lsd, pacemaker extractors, 2.5" custom exhaust, waggott cam,K&N high flow panel filter, TI performance chip w/ 4 tune switch(2 ED, 2 EL tunes) king 18's, el thermo fan w/ Davis Craig switch. 5000K hids,led lighting, doof box in boot.

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

c james wrote:
there is only one problem i see with this 4cyl turbo falcon. alot of families buy cars that have to teach or share a car with their kids for a few years, being on p plates, restrictions say we cannot drive turbo cars. but i think it is excelent like people have said for taxis, families who want better fuel economy and im sure it could still be tuned and put out some good power numbers. its not the be all, end all of the 6 cyl falcon, theres still original xd's and stuff still getting around.

I am quite sure that if your are an L or P plater and the only car available to you is a turbo/supercharged or a V8 then you are eligable to apply for an exemption (such as if your parent's don't have any other car)

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 EL Falcon - Last of the EL's

NSW, Australia

Tiny 4cyl petrol engine in a big heavy car?

Ford already tried that with the Ford Raider and it didn't turn out the way that they would have hoped.

why are women like clouds? eventually they f**k off and its a really nice day.

telling the truth is just lack of imagination

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:27 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Silhouette '04 BA XR6

QLD, Australia

I for one think it's great that ford are willing to improvise instead of just axing the falcon altogether..
But the moment they wack an fpv badge on anything less than a v8 or boosted 6 falcon, ill quite happily hand my drivers license in

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:46 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

there has been alot of talk here from people who i can only assume havent driven a modern car. Modern cars simply drive "better" than an old EF or EL. I have owned an EA, EL, and BA falcon, and had several FG's and VE's as company cars including my current car - a modified VE2 SS and let me tell you, i'll happily sacrifice a little bit of "power" to drive the never vehicle. Better Seats. Better Air con. Better everything really.
The biggest difference is in the grip levels. Drive an EL around a wet corner with a bit of throttle and than swap to a BA or FG and do the same thing and you'll see what i mean.
There are alot of people here with alot of really nice E series cars, but they will never be a BF or FG in terms of ride quality or safety. I'd love to see an EF crash tested by todays standards - i suspect it'd be lucky to get 2 stars...

I've also driven quite a few low capacity turbo engines and love them to bits compared to the "full sized" equivalents (1.4iTi Cruze, VW Passat TSI) - please dont bag a product you havent experienced for yourself

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:12 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford fairmont au series 2

VIC, Australia

79raven wrote:
skidder wrote:

An EF vs FG could definately be a chance, but you seem to be retarded as this wasn't the point? I will put it in bold this time...While you may be happy driving around an EF and beating new stock cars from the lights, anyone who has gone out and bought a brand new 4 cylinder FG probably doesn't care about how fast it is and will piss themselves laughing when the bogan in old s**t box falcon drags them from the lights. It doesn't matter if you drive a 13 second EF, in the eyes of someone who isn't a car enthusiast they won't even identify it as an EF, it will always just be a piece of s**t (the same as you probably think of their car).

OK, its been a while since I have been on here because of work and I have just read you colourful post.
Speaking of retarded, mate your 20 odd years old commenting about a " family car". First, grow some hair on your sack before you decide to think you know all there is to know about what a family car should be. Second of all, we dont all live a mummys and daddys house and are able to purchase a new car outright because we pay $100/week and thats all our outlaying expenses.
Let me enlightenen you on what " families" want in a car seeing I actually am a family man of 3 kids:
All want room to move and easy to use controls
The wife wants something that makes here daily jobs of driving kids to school and shopping easy, and is acceptable look wise in the eyes of the other mothers
The Father wants something that is easy to fix and has enough power that it makes him forget his wife has his balls in a jar on the fireplace and his kids have his bank details, and he achieves all this out of having a car that reminds him of the days when he was 20 something and still had his testies.
Now the Ef may not be a new car, but one thing your retarded self may not be able to reolise is that most " Family people" are old enough to remember further that 10 years ago, so they do know what car is what. Also, an older car done up will always get more attention that a brand new car.
Now, a 2L turbo pulling a Falcon is like an evo pulling a car trailer. To achieve the numbers of 0-100 in 7 seconds means that the 2L motor will have to have some serious decompression happening, meaning turbo lag when the turbo is not engaged. Now I dont know many woman who can actually drive ( sorry to those ladys on here who are an exception), let alone a turbo. Most woman know the one on the right is go, the one on the left is stop. Try telling these people about correct gear selection to run the turbo engine without constantly running into lag.
Also, low compression 2L that will be relying on the turbo to bring the Falcon to speed means the turbo will be engaged alot more than cars half it size. Turbo on means more air means more fuel means high consumption. Ford can tell the greater public the car will run off the smell of an oily rag at 100, and thats what most people look at for economy, but it will be consumption to get to 100 that will guzzle and will be overlooked in ad's.
To all that think I am wrong, hey your entitled to your opinion, like I am. You have not called me a retarded so I have no problem. I do hope that this car is as good as they are trying to say, for the sake of our beloved Falcon. Personally, unless on a diesel car, I just dont like turbo's. I have owned them and they are fun on little jap cars and huge power outputs can be achieved on anything by bolting one on, but thats the point. A turbo takes the engineering out of internal work to make great power gains. What I mean is go back 20 years ago and blokes were magicians who got big gains on engines, now days you can buy a Kia and bolt a turbo on and have an instant street machine. Turbo's seem to have taken alot of the artwork out of engine builds. I know there are people out there who do both the art and the turbo, but not alot. Anyway thats my lot

Thats gold 79raven !
Whats that old saying young dumb and full of c*m.
Some of these young clowns should look up the legendary VH 4 cyl commodore.
I am in my 40s and a family man and couldnt agree more with all of your post.
I almost forgot what it was like to have been alive for a whole 20 years and already know it all LOL til i read some of these posts.
Ford just stuck their hand out for another govt freebie with holden soon to follow suit and they and the govt both know they wont be local in the not to distant future.
If you kiddies stayed up to date with your info you would know Ford is already looking at replacing the Falcon with the yank Taurus
Now what sort of tool would want a 4 cyl turbo falcon given these OBVIOUS facts

4cyl turbo 177 kw ecolpi 198 kw over 10 % more power
4cl turbo 320 nm torque ecolpi 409 nm torque just short of 30 % more torque

4 cyl turbo maybe 8 but more likely at least 8.5ltr/100klm at $ 1.40 /ltr = $ 11.9 per 100 klm

ecolpi 12.5 ltr/100 klm at $ 0.63 c/ltr = $ 7.88 per 100 klm

So the female falcon costs $ 9 per 400 klm than the ecolpi
4 CYL Falcon verdict..... WHY BOTHER !!!!!

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 5  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next