Fordmods Logo

First drive: Ford Falcon four-cylinder 

Page 5 of 5 [ 65 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post subject: Re: First drive: Ford Falcon four-cylinder
Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:31 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford fairmont au series 2

VIC, Australia

In 95 % of cases you can Ash as most cars are sold in the cities and bigger regionals where my fuel prices are from.
Also the fuel consumption figures i quoted are very accurate and are direct quotes form test drives of both cars by various magazines.
I agree when you are paying $ 1 a litre ( Which our government should be hung for allowing !!! ) for lpg then the fuel cost argument is not relevant but on power and torque figures alone the ecolpi is still a clear winner.
$ 1 per litre fuel prices would also only effect a small part of sales as would the fact that you cant get lpg everywhere.
The highest in small country towns here in Vic is 75 c to 80 c per litre and i have never had problems with finding somewhere to get LPG and i have travelled all over my state for years.
Hope i have the right Ash ( used to have a mustang avatar ) got the xr6 cam in the Au Fairmont intech ran like crap now have it chipped and tuned but need to go back and retune cos when on idle still runs rough Hunting etc but after 1000 rpm goes like a cut cat with the other mods ive done.
Idles fine with a/c on probably cos it idles about how it should with it off.
Maybe its old age but imo 200 kw is more than enough for a daily driver,anything else is a bonus

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford fairmont au series 2

VIC, Australia

Yeah gotta agree with you there mate but putting a 4 cyl in a Falc to me is like putting tea in my bottle of Jack and telling me i will still like it.
Its a sad state of affairs for us loyalists to see.
Yeah car is coming along nicely Brendan Mock is responsible for that and contrary to popular belief on some forums i have found him easy to deal with and helpful with my issues.Very snappy throttle response and 138 rwkw so a bit of fun around town.Has a 3.23 diff which while not perfect for take off its sensational for highway overtaking and is still respectable around town
Lowering ( standard gt monroe and king spring sports low deal ) is next after that probably with tickford 17 s and then just a general fix up of some minor issues.
Fitted a whiteline 27 mm sway and links the other day and am finding middle age hard for working under cars ( back neck etc ) :evil:
So will have to look at hoist or start paying someone if i get more serious about modding another car in the future.

May look at a stang for a toy in a few years when i am more financial.428 cobrajet in one would just be a wet dream at the moment. :cry:

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

Ford Falcon Facebook page wrote:
Well, the news that you’ve been waiting for is finally out – the power and torque figures for the new FG Falcon MkII 2.0-litre Ecoboost. The newest member of the Falcon family will deliver 179kW at 5500 rpm and 353Nm at 2000 rpm. It will be available in XT, G6 and G6E models. However, the big story is fuel economy. The Ecoboost XT will deliver 8.1 l/100km – fantastic for an Australian-built large family sedan. Because the Ecoboost engine is turbocharged, performance is also a strong point.

MEMBER 1390

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

They will more than likely to be cheaper to get power out of as well.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

I for one think the 4cyl falcon is a good thing.

It is intended (and likely IMO) to win a large slice of fleet buyers and rent-a-car mobs over with lower fuel consumption, rego and possibly insurance.

LPi seems to be shunned largely by these demographics, for what ever reasons. Probably diminished locations and perceived difficulties of filling being some of them.

The performance is reported to be almost on a par with the i6, and I would imagine with a tune, 220-240kw's should be quite achievable.

The decreased weight over the front axle is reported to make the chassis that much sweeter too, so there's another win.

If it improves sales of the Falcon, I'm all for it.

As for those who drive around in 20 year old cars, either by choice or necessity (sometimes I think those things get confused), what do you care what they throw in the new Falcon?? You're at least 20 years away from having to worry about buying one anyway and at that point what internal combustion engine you prefer will probably be a mute point!!!

Just sayin'!!!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 5  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5