Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:
let me re-phrase that 'famous' in aus

We are a s**t little market. Our population is 24 million but of those, about 8 million can legally drive. Of those 8 million, about 100,000 of them buy a new car for private use each year. Of that 100,000. About 10,000 would consider a Ford and only a few of those would consider a Falcon. Where's your fame now?

You don't understand what I mean. Im not saying that falcons are famous and everyone wants them . so what are u on about ??
What I ment was falcons are known in Australia for their 4L inline 6. That's where my fames at.

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Post subject: Re: Ford's big-six thrown five-year lifeline
Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford EF - Garret TO4Z

TAS, Australia

i really hope they keep makeing the 6's

i really hope one day cops drive 4 cylinder ricers,, wouldant be a better feeling then seeing them quickley dissapear from my rearview mirror

Crank Assembly balanced, HV oil pump, ACL Trimetal bearings, "1 extra oil clearance taking to around 0.0650-0.0700 on mains and big ends, Moly rings,, Xr6 Cam, POD ( Possibly oversize injectors), Block, Head, Timing cover, belt idler, Alternator,painted in ford light blue

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Ash wrote:
If the Falcon was a AWD, I'd be opting for that over the 2WD on the roads I drive.

But what if they brought out a FWD Falcon?

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

madmax wrote:
Ash wrote:
If the Falcon was a AWD, I'd be opting for that over the 2WD on the roads I drive.

But what if they brought out a FWD Falcon?

It would feel foreign and take a bit of getting used to. And if the power levels are similar to what we currently have then it will have absurdly dangerous ammounts of torque steer. Also axle tramp would be a b**ch. Until recently I forgot how badly fwd's can axle tramp if provoked and its the most unsettling feeling I've had whilst thrashing a car in a long time. Commodore owners seem to like it though.

The pattern in this thread I see is that the biggest complainers are the ones who's only hope of owning a late model falcon is to wait for the current gen of ex fleet vehicles to depreciate enough to match their price range. Well here's a newsflash, until private buyers strart buying falcons new from the dealership in the same numbers as the xf (200,000+ over the model run) instead of waiting at auction for an ex telstra vehicle to pop up at 50% off the new price or an ex taxi hand me down to pop up for 2k, then Ford Aus has absolutely no need to listen to you as you won't buy the cars they need sold in order to prove their sales case to their overseas bosses.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Ash wrote:
I personally wouldn't care if they chose to go that way. It would be a shame but my feelings wont impact the choices of Ford. Nor would anyone here who is so vocal as next to no one here are new car buyers. I wouldn't even by an FG as they don't do a wagon so it just wont happen. The Falcon as it is known died to me when they dropped that and made it a choice of Territory only.

From memory the highest percentage of wagon sales was fleet, Holden has shot themselves in the foot too, as for fleet sales the FG sedan boot has more USABLE space than the Commonwhore wagon even with a barrier fitted, fleet will end up Jap wagons in the end, I work on a defence base and the drivers complain about the Dumbledoor wagons as they can not fit the soldiers luggage in to transport them anywhere. Like the crewman, Holden chose looks over being practical.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2004 Mazda Tribute

clooyen wrote:
And why the HELL would you buy a V8 that ran on 4 cylinders? if you want power, you need to use fuel to obtain it. if you want to hug the trees, save the whales and keep the spiderwebs out of your wallet, lose some cylinders.

The Barra 6 is a great engine thats powered australian families and car enthusiasts for a long time. like any large-ish engine, it doesn't mind a drink, but what you get out the other end is power and torque that can't be replicated by some hair dryers strapped onto a ricer engine.

long live the 4.0L I6.

Indeed, long live the I6 and V8... BUT IF you can get a V8 or 6cyl that drinks the fuel of a 4, that gives you power AND economy, why would you not take it? Given the choice between 2 V8s of the same power and torque, I'd take the one with the lesser fuel consumption. Power when you need it, and economy when you don't.

Why is using less fuel such a terrible goal? Hell, if it saves people money on the runnings costs, they are more likely to buy it. If they buy more of them, then our car manufacturing industry benefits. If they benefit, they stay and continue to make cars.

I'm in favour of practically ANY means that a local manufacturer uses to lower the fuel consumption of their engines, while not compromising their power or refinement.

Smart tricks like AFM, direct injection, cylinder de-activation are a fantastic way to not have to compromise on the car you want while saving some dosh. The Euros and Japanese have been doing it all for years, and the quicker we can become competitive, the better off everyone in this country will be!

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:11 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford AU series 2 Wagon

VIC, Australia

wooops

wagoff

Last edited by cilkorules on Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

[quote="little red wagon"]This thread makes me laugh.

Obviously everyone would rather see no Falcon being built in Australia than one that has a diverse range of engines. Just because they offer a 2 litre turbo 4 banger or a diesel for fleet sales etc. doesnt necessarily mean there wont be a 4 litre or V8 available.

the articles I've read are saying that the FWD / 4 cyl will be the only combo and that a `world car' platform would be used - if so, you aren't going to have a V8 like the Coyote or a long 6 being able to fit.
Holden tried Commodores with turbo sixes in the mid 80's and that didnt work, so obviously a turbo 6 Falcon wont work either.
Do you mean the VL commodore? I wouldn't say that didn't work... probably one of the best commodores made (I drove one as a cab for a few years) and they still have a cult following particularly in drag racing...
Who knows, if Ford updated the engines so they met all worldwide laws, they might even be able to sell Falcons overseas - Nope. Ford US have already said they won't allow Falcons over there as it will cut into rwd platforms like the Crown Vic they use for the police / taxi markets. The whole point of 4 cyl Falcons is so that we ARE on parity with the rest of the world so they CAN sell the same thing everywhere. Believe me Australia won't steer the US market - look at the 380 mitsi for an example - they flogged that to us because it failed as a Galant over there and they thought WTF, we'll just unload it on the Aussie backwater market...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF daily, xc project

NSW, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
little red wagon wrote:
This thread makes me laugh.

Obviously everyone would rather see no Falcon being built in Australia than one that has a diverse range of engines. Just because they offer a 2 litre turbo 4 banger or a diesel for fleet sales etc. doesnt necessarily mean there wont be a 4 litre or V8 available.

the articles I've read are saying that the FWD / 4 cyl will be the only combo and that a `world car' platform would be used - if so, you aren't going to have a V8 like the Coyote or a long 6 being able to fit.
Holden tried Commodores with turbo sixes in the mid 80's and that didnt work, so obviously a turbo 6 Falcon wont work either.
Do you mean the VL commodore? I wouldn't say that didn't work... probably one of the best commodores made (I drove one as a cab for a few years) and they still have a cult following particularly in drag racing...
Who knows, if Ford updated the engines so they met all worldwide laws, they might even be able to sell Falcons overseas - Nope. Ford US have already said they won't allow Falcons over there as it will cut into rwd platforms like the Crown Vic they use for the police / taxi markets. The whole point of 4 cyl Falcons is so that we ARE on parity with the rest of the world so they CAN sell the same thing everywhere. Believe me Australia won't steer the US market - look at the 380 mitsi for an example - they flogged that to us because it failed as a Galant over there and they thought WTF, we'll just unload it on the Aussie backwater market...

i'd still think it would be designed with more than one engine in mind,
at work i've seen in the same model of car a 4cyl in one, and a v12 in the other, so there is a big differance

ef falcon daily driver
78 xc falcon 500 project
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/bradley4567-s-xc-t83750.html

calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

bradley4567 wrote:
tearlejc wrote:
little red wagon wrote:
This thread makes me laugh.

i'd still think it would be designed with more than one engine in mind,
at work i've seen in the same model of car a 4cyl in one, and a v12 in the other, so there is a big differance

Yeh, I hope I'm wrong about that but I remember from when I worked at GM that whenever they started to talk about world cars they were all about limiting down engine families - if they designed it to be strong enough for say, the coyote, then it would be a real slug with a turbo 4, their main contender - just doesn't seem likely and I hate to say it but if Aus are the only ones with a barra 6 it won't even enter the equation

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

First off sack fords marketing team and employ somone better this might see some better sales results.

The I6 is a briliant motor but only good for one aplication : RWD falcon, too thirsty for a territory and too long for anything else.

It will be a sad day to see the falcon or I6 replaced with a global platform but there is only a small market for sedans this day and age.
People want SUVs because No longer do you have to put up with having a Big thirsty 4x4 or People mover if you have a bigger family SUVs offer so much more this day and age you can have a spacious safe vehicle thats not too thirsty.

Also an I have owned a AWD territory and in my opinion and aplication would have been much better off with just a RWD. I dont see the point of running front drivelines and diffs ect if not needed, modern stability control makes 2wd cars handel well on the road providing the driver dosent drive like an idiot.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ford couldn't market food to the ethiopians whilst holden seem to be doing rather well at selling s**t no one particularly needs, such as a sports wagon with less boot space than a mazda 121.

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
Ford couldn't market food to the ethiopians whilst holden seem to be doing rather well at selling s**t no one particularly needs, such as a sports wagon with less boot space than a mazda 121.

I wonder how long that is going to keep happening, fleet people are complaining due to this, they buy a wagon thinking it will hold more than a sedan, instead they find out the Falcon sedan has more usable boot space, which is sad when you realise how much more space the old Falcon wagon had over the sedan.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ford's answer will simply be "well we offer the Mondeo estate, which has more boot space than the commy".

Ford will never bring back the wagon. No matter how strong consumer sentimient is, too many other things are against it.

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
Ford's answer will simply be "well we offer the Mondeo estate, which has more boot space than the commy".

Ford will never bring back the wagon. No matter how strong consumer sentimient is, too many other things are against it.

Yeah I have to agree, but then again the V8 was never to return and Holden dropped their full size ute, maybe one day (hmm still thinking unlikely :( )

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next