Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Nissan To Join V8 Supercars Championship
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I agree with Troyman...

Have you guys read about the car of the future?

It wont be a Nissan two door AWD chassis... From 2013 the car body will be identical... Same everything... With the exception of motor brand probably... All you do is go... This year I want to race a Merc and you buy Merc panels and fit them to the car... Same as Nascar essentially...

So the common body is in... There will be Ford panels for it, holden panels and whichever car Nissan choose... Probably skyline panels...

If so then it would be a skyline... V8 5.0L with the 6 speed new design race box they're running... The box and diff are one unit... So they run a transaxle instead of a tail shaft... So less rpm on a transaxle than a tail shaft as the transaxle will do the 7000rpm of the motor... while the tailshaft will do more because of overdrive... Makes changing diff ratio easier... Fuel tank goes where the back seat would normally be... Motor sits further back so weight distribution is improved... 18" wheels and larger brakes... IRS will be used as opposed to the cambered live axle currently used... Car is lighter I thought... Can't remember who makes the body now... But it wont be a Ford or Holden or Nissan chassis... It is a chassis only make to be raced by some third party...

I heard a rumour Vodaphone will run Merc panels because that is who their F1 sponsorship is with...

Anyway here is the speil:

COTF

The 'Car of the Future' will officially be unveiled at the Sydney Telstra 500 ahead of its 2013 racing debut. AARON NOONAN gives you the layman's guide to COTF…

FOR well over 12 months, talk of V8 Supercars' 'Car of the Future' (COTF) has been buzzing around the V8 Supercars Championship paddock.

There's been plenty written and said by media and fans — some of it inaccurate — about what COTF is, why it's being undertaken and what it all means. Some don't understand it, while others have simply over- analysed it.

So, what does it all mean?

Put simply, the 'DNA' of V8 Supercar racing will not change from 2013 when this new generation of cars takes over from the Falcons and Commodores that currently make up the grid.

The cars will still feature V8 engines, rear-wheel drive and four doors. They'll also continue to make the same roar and be just as fast, if not actually faster. Currently, the chassis beneath the skin of the Falcon and Commodore are all extremely similar, with the next step being a control chassis — it's cheaper and is also aimed at making it easier for other potential manufacturers to build a V8 Supercar.

A Commodore will still have the DNA of a Commodore, ditto for a Falcon or any other type of car that joins in. The doors will still open and close, the panels are the same shape and style of the road car, and the badges are real, too!

A manufacturer wanting to join the V8 Supercars Championship could even come along with their own V8 engine, used under a parity system to ensure it's on par with the current units in the class, or use a 'category' engine if they wish to go with already-established technology.

The control chassis could then open up the potential for a new manufacturer to join V8 Supercar racing. Regardless of whether another manufacturer joins the V8 Supercars field, the change is still an important and necessary one for the future of the class.

Reducing costs is a key focus of COTF and it's expected that the cost of building a new car will reduce by around half in comparison to a current specification machine. As a direct result, any repairs to the new cars will also be cheaper and less labour intensive as well.

"One of the things COTF does is that it increases the market relevance of the cars in the motoring world," says Chairman of the V8 Supercars Commission, Mark Skaife.

"The current regulations have been in place since 1993 and very few categories can boast that sort of technical stability over almost 20 years. This is just an evolution of them.

"We have applied a proper business case analysis in an effort to curb dollars spent, as the cost of winning a Championship has roughly doubled in the last 15 years."

After all, if the cars are cheaper to build, teams are more likely to be able to have additional cars constructed and available. Expanding the calendar and racing more often — which is the long-held goal of V8 Supercars Chairman Tony Cochrane, who has stated his desire for up to 18 events in future — becomes far more practical.

That said, more events means more racing for everyone: TV viewers, fans and sponsors. It would keep racing in front of the consumer more often and avoid the large gaps in the calendar that have previously made it difficult for the sport to gain traction in major media outlets in comparison with ball sports that take place every weekend.

Finally, continual safety improvements are of paramount importance in all forms of motorsport, and the same is also true with COTF.

The new cars will have a fuel tank that will be moved forward from the boot and sit inside the main chassis. That means that the fireball that engulfed Karl Reindler's car at Barbagallo earlier in the year would be less likely in future in the case of a rear-end collision.

A collapsible steering column, new fire extinguisher system and added side protection are all features of a COTF-spec V8 Supercar, while windscreens will become polycarbonate, the overall weight of the car will drop by about 100kg and 18-inch tyres will be introduced for the first time (see breakout).

Engines will be positioned 100mm further rearwards for safety as well as reducing costs in the case of severe accident damage.

Independent Rear Suspension and a transaxle gearbox will also be a new feature technically, more reflective of modern road cars and keeping with the theme of increasing motoring market relevance.

V8 Supercars have commissioned Queensland-based Pace Innovations to construct two prototype cars built to COTF designs — one a Falcon and one a Commodore — and have been testing them on a variety of circuits before all final technical specifications are locked down. The final examples will be unveiled at the Sydney Telstra 500.

As much as COTF may seem confusing, the end result is that race fans, whether casual or hardcore, shouldn't worry too much.

The cars will essentially look the same from the outside; they'll still make that unique V8 Supercar growl and the best drivers from this part of the world, and sometimes the other, will still be fighting it out for the title.

Cutting costs, having more races, making the drivers safer and potentially welcoming a new competitor into the mix can't be such a bad thing, despite what the naysayers would tell you.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/portals/v ... ding/4.jpg

One of the major changes in the 2013-specification is an upgrade in wheels and tyres.

V8 Supercars will move to an 18-inch tyre – slightly bigger than the long-used 17-inch – with Dunlop retaining the deal to provide rubber to the series after signing a new deal that will take them through to 2017 as official tyre supplier.

Dunlop Motorsport Manager Kevin Fitzsimons says the change won't be very noticeable.

"Cosmetically, you can't really tell the difference," he says.

"The tread is still the same width, it's just missing half an inch out of the sidewall. It won't look a great deal different from what we have now.

"Having a bigger tyre gives a lot more flexibility as to the variety of braking packages you can fit inside the wheel as well.

"Cars all over the world are being made with 18-inch wheels now so we're going with the flow and moving along with that.

"Most race cars around the world, particularly in GT racing, use 18-inch too so it's more of a common size.

"The tyre will be stronger in the materials that are used to make it. It's still a compromise tyre that has to be used on 16 different circuits in all sorts of temperatures and it has to be used on the front (to steer) and the rear (to drive) of the cars, which doesn't happen with other categories around the world, which have dedicated and different tyres for each end of the car."

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

The whole car of the future thing means that it won't be some unbeatable twin turbo.. the engine and chassis will be much the same as the holden and fords..

In fact you could just cut the body off one of the fords and weld on a nissan body and you'd be good to go.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/technical/carofthefuture/thenewgenerationofv8supercars/tabid/1418/default.aspx

This is a drivers championship.. the cars are virtually identical underneath as far as handling, power etc....

Nissan won't be allowed to wheel in some GTR's and take over... although having said that, the current laptimes are ahead of the old GTR laptimes so it probably won't make that much diff anyway.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 97 TICKFORD XR6 Manaul

SA, Australia

Good buy Australian V8 super cars and hello to the Aussie version of nascar :cry:

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Jonathan Kakousidis wrote:
Good buy Australian V8 super cars and hello to the Aussie version of nascar :cry:

spot on, EXACTLY what I was going to say... you warch nascar, and you have to look at the badge on the nose to see what its supposed to be...Camry's with V8's etc....this will be the same. No skylines or evo's, no turbo's etc. V8 supercars is a brand and a business - at the moment its like 70 % commodores and the brand is suffering....this is just a way of getting interest back up...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:05 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

think it's been like that for a couple of years now . 90% of the car is the same, from what i can see the only difference is the engine management system, top-end of the motor(IE; heads injection system & air intake) and panels . they run the same suspension brakes body gearbox and rearend. i could be wrong tho

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:21 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF 2 Fairmont. AU 5 Litre ute

VIC, Australia

I saw on sunrise this morning that chrysler are looking at joining aswell. I had a look on the net and chrysler have spoken to gary rogers and are look at getting them to drive a 300c.

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

shipo_1150 wrote:
I saw on sunrise this morning that chrysler are looking at joining aswell. I had a look on the net and chrysler have spoken to gary rogers and are look at getting them to drive a 300c.

Good stuff I say. The more the merrier. Would be nice to see the sport taking a turn towards the old Touring Car style of racing of old rather than this generic 'Nascar' direction they seem so keen on. As I posted earlier, the V8 Supercar series as it is bores the hell out of me.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU fairmont ghia

ACT, Australia

looks like merc n beamer want to join the party too!!

Mercedes-Benz Australia has announced it will reveal a race-ready AMG C63 at next week’s Australian round of the Formula One Grand Prix in Melbourne.

The car, which will be used as a ride-day event vehicle for VIPs and AMG customers, was revealed as rumours surface that both BMW and Mercedes-Benz have shown interest in competing in future V8 Supercar rounds.

Reports indicate that the German pair, and indeed others, could join the Holden/Ford duopoly as new ‘Car of the Future’ (CoF) regulations open the door to a more modern mix of engine technologies. The move could pave the way for a much wider range of cars and manufacturers to join the championship from 2012.

AU FAIRMONT GHIA: 5.0 Dealer ordered SVO mods ( seeking clarification ATM), tickford suspension.

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

This is interesting. Since the Kelly brothers are slaves to holden the Nissanentry will be a chevy Aroura powered unit.

With AMG redy to join the party they dont want to piss f@rt around with pushrod engines from other manufacturers. Looks like tony C**k and big nose will hace no choice but to free up engine specs if they want the super taxis to survive. There is no longer a relevance of 5.0 pushrod engines anymore. Hasn't been for over 10 yesr ago since holden bit the bullet and went to 5.7 litres. A move that ford replied to with the ohc modulars.

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

I really hope this isn't all piss and wind and will actually go ahead. It will give the series the actual competition that is sadly lacking at the moment.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

The reason they are all interested now, is that the cars don't have to be real nissan/chrysler/amg/bmw, they are like RC covers on a base chassis with the new rules. In a way it's a good thing because it's a drivers championship anyway so having ford and holden spend heaps of cash developing cars that end up limited to each other anyway was silly.. this way all car manufactures get to play on the cheap and still have their badge on the front of the car.

I'd like to go back to the 70's where you had to sell what you raced.. I think if that happened the coyote engined ford(or even the typhoon) would be well in the running.. but I think those days are over sadly.

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU fairmont ghia

ACT, Australia

i reckon if they allow other cars to join it should be AUSTRALIAN built cars only, if you want to race in a AUSTRALIAN race you have to be in a australian car. if nissan want to race in V8 supercars then they should use a car built and sold here in australia. no chevs, acuras, infinities etc

i dont care if its designed overseas as long as it it made here and gives us the jobs...

end rant

AU FAIRMONT GHIA: 5.0 Dealer ordered SVO mods ( seeking clarification ATM), tickford suspension.

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Im pretty sure the Ford and Holden V8's aren't local products... they're crate motors!

Maybe race Barra's? :)

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

are they going to be airing the newzealand v8 super tourer's over there? they have 7Litre v8's in them. they all have the same motor etc, just a different shell.. so down to the driver

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

not sure if this has been said but I just skimmed the post. apparently they will run the v8 infiniti 4.5 litre engine as the afaik the rules don't mandate a specific literage in the catorgey

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next