Fordmods Logo

The Ford Falcon XR8 may soon be discontinued. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: The Ford Falcon XR8 may soon be discontinued.
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:27 am 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Ford Australia might have sounded the death knell for the highest-powered version of the standard Falcon family, the XR8.

Ford Australia president and chief executive Bob Graziano says the brand is struggling to build a case for a new version of the V8-powered Falcon XR8, which has been absent from the line-up for almost two years.

''I wouldn't say it's dead but we have been studying it for quite some time and, to be perfectly honest, we haven't figured out a way to pull a business case together that allows us to deliver a vehicle that represents - and will deliver on - the XR8 name,'' he says.
Advertisement: Story continues below

''That is such an iconic name and brand in Australia and that's what we're looking at. So, I'm hopeful that very soon we'll have a decision one way or another on XR8 that we can then talk about.''

The XR8 was dropped from the Falcon line-up in June 2010, as its 5.4-litre engine did not meet tightening emissions regulations.

Ever since, Ford has been looking at ways to revive the iconic nameplate.

The only V8-powered Ford available is from Ford's performance division, Ford Performance Vehicles, in the form of the GT - which doesn't officially wear a Falcon badge, even though it is based on a Falcon.

''What we have to do is find that balance and provide vehicles that customers are looking for,'' Graziano says.

''Even though the large-car segment has come down pretty significantly over the last 10 or 11 years, there is a subset of the population that still wants that vehicle.

''It's a much smaller percentage today than it was 10 years ago - for a lot of different reasons.''

Performance-car buyers now have a plethora of smaller turbocharged cars to choose from, including the Subaru WRX, Volkswagen Golf GTI, Renault Megane RS250 and, previously, performance versions of Ford's own Focus.

For Holden, though, V8-powered models are a crucial part of the Commodore range, accounting for about one in four sales and helping the brand appeal to private buyers.

Graziano insists the future of the Falcon lies along a more environmentally focused path, pointing to the LPG-powered EcoLPi variant and the upcoming four-cylinder turbocharged EcoBoost version.

But sales of the locally made Falcon - which is expected to be discontinued in 2016 once the current lines of government funding have dried up - are at 50-year lows, despite the introduction of the LPG model, suggesting buyers are more concerned about the look, size and functionality of the Falcon rather than its fuel use.

Falcon V8 timeline

XR model becomes first Australian-built Falcon to offer a V8 engine, an imported 4.7-litre unit making 150kW.

Ford discontinues V8 option for XE Falcon.

5.0-litre Windsor V8 imported for EB Falcon.

Ford performance Vehicles gains building 5.4-litre "Boss" V8 for its high performance range.

Ford drop V8 from Falcon but keeps it for FPV GT

Source: smh

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Post subject: Re: The Ford Falcon XR8 may soon be discontinued.
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:21 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: F6 Typhoon

NSW, Australia

Quote:
For Holden, though, V8-powered models are a crucial part of the Commodore range, accounting for about one in four sales and helping the brand appeal to private buyers.

I have driven the BA and the FG XR8, but have never driven the SS, and from just looking at the features and power etc, I really don't understand why it is such a success for Holden while the XR8 is such a failure for ford? I mean essentially they are the same car!

F6 Typhoon Silhouette with Dark Argent rims, build P0001. Stock as a rock and staying that way.

Now sold :( Cobalt blue EF XR6, Pacemaker 4499s, 2.5" redback catback, intake, head shaved, wade 977b, crow valve springs, pedders suspension.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:57 am 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Ford's advertising is usually non-existant. When they do put an ad together, it sucks.

I've almost wanted to buy a Holden based on some of their smart ads.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:14 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Ford does indeed have some bad marketing "strategies". The ads fail to gauge consumers and that has been proven in the last few years.

With ever so tightening emission standards, I can see why the 8s are being phased out slowly.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

Waggin wrote:
Ford's advertising is usually non-existant. When they do put an ad together, it sucks.

absolutly nailed it in this.

i have had a feeling that the xr8 was a goona. some said a n/a coyote.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:40 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB GT fakey

QLD, Australia

is there different emission standards between an XR8 and a GT? If not, why not use that motor in the XR8 and de-tune it slightly so the GT is still the top gun ford

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: F6 Typhoon

NSW, Australia

gstewart wrote:
is there different emission standards between an XR8 and a GT? If not, why not use that motor in the XR8 and de-tune it slightly so the GT is still the top gun ford

That's what the GS is. And that's not really selling.

F6 Typhoon Silhouette with Dark Argent rims, build P0001. Stock as a rock and staying that way.

Now sold :( Cobalt blue EF XR6, Pacemaker 4499s, 2.5" redback catback, intake, head shaved, wade 977b, crow valve springs, pedders suspension.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XG Longreach + ED XR6

VIC, Australia

Rip the supercharger off the GT, call it an XR8 and stop holding back the XR6T let them be line ball, now that the V8 is lighter it stands a chance.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

the main problem with holden getting more v8 sales is everyone loves the thought of a 5.7L or 6.0L over the 5.4L

everyone i know says, "aww when i get off my Ps im getting a 6.0L" and i have to admit, ive driven a few of the early 5.7L's and they go quite well, and as for people who actually do own them, all they ever do is toss off at the fact its a 6.0L and not a 5.4L
i doubt even if we had a supercharged 5.0L that was off its tits in our falcon or gt range people would buy one, no body on fordmods would until they are 15 years old and 1/4 of the price :D

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 2001 AU Ute

VIC, Australia

Nothing I like better than a big V8.

But as has already been said it comes down to advertising and just the size factor.
The 6.0l just sounds better.

We all realize that bigger doesn't always mean better, but you get the idea.

I can defo see the appeal to the xr6t over the xr8, though.
Personally I want one of each... maybe if they brought out an xr8t? :twisted:

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

The problem with the strategy was that they would go 'eco' with their V8's, slightly smaller with more tech. And they failed, they failed at making it efficient. If I were in the market for a big v8, a 6 litre 6 speed sounds pretty sweet to me, I couldn't give a rats about emissions.

I know a guy who has a new 6 speed 6 litre high spec commo ute (stock) and while I think it looks like a horses rear, it's got massive brakes, big rims, giant motor (that's not all that heavy considering opposition) a 6 speed manual box in a ute. I don't car what language you speak that spells fun.

An 'eco friendly' V8 that is de-tuned and still struggles to meet emissions is no fun. The fact that the 6cylinder turbo model also leaves it for dead, specially in the aftermarket is also another nail in the coffin.

My big question is, if they start producing 4 cylinder falcons, then is it already written on the wall that falcon xr6 turbos will be scrapped also to boost FPV sales ? Seems like more marketing strategy than customer accommodation to me.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

i rekon it will be FPV with the gs/gt and the phoon/tornado.

then the normal falcons will be some sort of xr4?... and the xr6 will be the fancy up spec model. no turbos. :? :shock:

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:53 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Poor V8's

It is pretty obvious though, I mean a < $60k euro car can run rings around them drinking less fuel and have loads more features -minus towing capabilites.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

they want to make the v8 more eco friendly. ill take a stab that most of the v8 vehicle customer base arent choosing a car based on its green credentials. if they were then they would be at the hybrid showrooms. most of the v8 buyers want a car with a big motor, a bit of poke and some noise, which could explain why the holden 8 is selling and ford has trailed off. that plus the marketing. ford marketing sucks donkey testicles.

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: EF XR8

NSW, Australia

Waggin wrote:

BLASPHEMY! Haha

Blue blooded.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next