Fordmods Logo

Twin-turbo V6 for Holden Commodore? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Twin-turbo V6 for Holden Commodore?
Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

This could be Holden's answer to Ford's potent Falcon XR6 Turbo.

General Motors has shown off a twin-turbocharged engine based on the 3.6-litre V6 used in the Holden VF Commodore.

The new motor makes a V8-beating 313kW and 583Nm, 43kW and 53Nm more than the current 6.0-litre V8 in the SS and will be linked to an eight-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission in Cadillac’s new CTS sedan.

Cadillac says the engine “brings a new dimension of technologically advanced performance “ to the brand and develops 90 per cent, or about 520Nm, of its torque from only 2000rpm.

The engine would give Holden an answer to Ford's popular turbocharged XR6, as it is based on the engine used in the Commodore SV6.

But the twin-turbocharged unit has several key departures from the Commodore engine, including new cylinder block and head castings and strengthened internals.

The brand’s director of external communications, Craig Cheetham, poured cold water on the idea of a twin-turbo Commodore in the short term.

“There are no firm plans to introduce it to Holden,” he says.

“Not in the near future... not at all.”

The new VF Commodore SS is expected to retain Holden’s current V8 engine, which puts out 260kW as an auto and 270kW as a manual.

GM’s local arm has previously flirted with turbocharging for the Commodore, in the form of a $3.5 million concept car shown in 2005.

The hot pink Torana TT36 concept car had a similarly twin-turbocharged version of the Commodore V6 which pushed out 280kW and 480Nm of grunt.

The Holden engine plant in Port Melbourne also built turbocharged six-cylinder engines for Saab before the Swedish marque collapsed in 2012.

Source: smh.com.au

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Post subject: Re: Twin-turbo V6 for Holden Commodore?
Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:28 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Go away, your pointless post is pointless, can some please report this tool to the mods, perhaps they can give him a short holiday...

BTW, a build update is required, it need to be in the form of, "The motor has been installed and is due to be tuned in the next fortnight" If not, go and do it.

I have a car.

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Nice boat anchor you have there.

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

Bucket of s**t compared to a BARRA Inline 6. That's why holden rebadging company won't go for it.

ED Fairmont, Ghia mock DOHC-T 11.6 @ 118 Trying to get back to the 1/4!

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

If we really do see a twin turbo V6 commodore, I'll have to get that engine installed so I can go out and beat them. Or twin turbo the VW? :mrgreen:

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:40 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Waggin wrote:
If we really do see a twin turbo V6 commodore, I'll have to get that engine installed so I can go out and beat them. Or twin turbo the VW? :mrgreen:

Twins on the Krautwaggon would be more fun.

I have a car.

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

edfairmont4.0 wrote:
Bucket of s**t compared to a BARRA Inline 6. That's why holden rebadging company won't go for it.

All jokes aside you wouldnt know unless you drove one. Would be interesting to see against the fg 310kw barra

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
Waggin wrote:

Twins on the Krautwaggon would be more fun.

Something like dis yarrr?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16aJ-Cs5qA

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 94 ED Fairmont, MY97 LE WRX

VIC, Australia

Back in 2004 to 2006 when I worked at Holdens HFV6 engine plant they had about 6 or so of the 3.6 alloytech motors setup with the 3.2 saab turbo's attached,
Back then they were talking about bringing them out, 8+ years later and still nothing but talk from them about it.

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Quote:
as it is based on the engine used in the Commodore SV6.

Quote:
But the twin-turbocharged unit has several key departures from the Commodore engine, including new cylinder block and head castings and strengthened internals.

I see a problem here for Holden. They say it is 'based' on the SV6 motor, and then they throw away the base... and the head... and the internals... so essentially, its nothing like the SV6 motor... meaning they would be shelling out premium dosh for one. They cant get that sort of power for the sort of money they would be asking ot of the regular SV6, so it aint gonna happen. Ford tried the TTv6, and couldn't get near the mark set by the Barra's.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Ford of the US has a twin turbo 3.5 V6 on sale now, fitted to the Taurus, has 365 hp and 350 ft/lb with direct petrol injection.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:03 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
Quote:
as it is based on the engine used in the Commodore SV6.

Quote:

I see a problem here for Holden. They say it is 'based' on the SV6 motor, and then they throw away the base... and the head... and the internals... so essentially, its nothing like the SV6 motor... meaning they would be shelling out premium dosh for one. They cant get that sort of power for the sort of money they would be asking ot of the regular SV6, so it aint gonna happen. Ford tried the TTv6, and couldn't get near the mark set by the Barra's.

I found that funny too...based on the SV6 engine but different everything.

Do what they will, they will most likely not sell many (but more than XR6-Ts unfortunately) due to buyers preferring smaller ve-hicles now. Fuel economy and saving the environment stuff.

Unless this V6TT can better the fuel economy of a small car (4-6L/100km REAL life), I don't see this picking up at all.

Chuck a turbo diesel option into the Commodore will most likely gain more sales.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

yeah phong a little off topic but I find it funny the amount of people going out buying diesels now. My 6 cylinder petrol falcon uses less fuel than my 4 cylinder hilux uses diesel and the diesel is worth more. My focus petrol gets nearly 1000kms from a tank and as far as I'm aware the diesels aren't much better, and in addition to paying more at the pump, twice the initial cost and four times the cost to service....

Stupid market trends make it a possible maybe that if they were to install into commodores they might actually sell quite a few. It's funny the 4cylinder falcon flopped because from all accounts I've heard from people that have driven them reckon they are pretty fast and economical. Remember the market doesn't always follow logic :wink:

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:37 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

low_ryda wrote:
yeah phong a little off topic but I find it funny the amount of people going out buying diesels now. My 6 cylinder petrol falcon uses less fuel than my 4 cylinder hilux uses diesel and the diesel is worth more. My focus petrol gets nearly 1000kms from a tank and as far as I'm aware the diesels aren't much better, and in addition to paying more at the pump, twice the initial cost and four times the cost to service....

Stupid market trends make it a possible maybe that if they were to install into commodores they might actually sell quite a few. It's funny the 4cylinder falcon flopped because from all accounts I've heard from people that have driven them reckon they are pretty fast and economical. Remember the market doesn't always follow logic :wink:

Tis a bit off topic, my bad. Everyone in Europe pretty much drives a diesel, that's why everyone here wants one too, trendy and cool. Although, the more people buy diesel, the better the chances the infrastructure will evolve and change to accommodate. The 4 cylinder turbo was pretty good...albeit most likely poor at towing, it was a good test drive as an every day car IMO...the issue here was marketing, my 5 neighbours didn't know a 4 cylinder existed. Anyways I think that's a debate already discussed some where else.

Back on topic me think.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:57 pm 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

Just to take this further off-topic, I'm pretty sure you'll find the modern diesel offerings in passenger cars do offer far better fuel economy and the drivability and general experience is better than a similar sized (or even larger) petrol offering in the same vehicle.

I did some time in a 2.0TDI Passat which delivered around 850-900km per tank for city driving. The same model vehicle in the petrol 3.6 V6 configuration is lucky to get half that in the same conditions. We all know the V6 petrol is a bigger engine and ultimately produces more power, but the torque offered from both cars is on par - and this is what's important for city stop/start driving, overtaking and has the most influence on the "Seat of the Pants" scale. I think the 0-100km/hr for the Diesel is around 1 second slower than the petrol, not bad for 40-50% saving in running costs.

With all that said, I ended up buying the V6 petrol anyway. The point of all this is that there are lots of good offerings out there and they're all worth a look. The 4L inline-six isn't the only engine in the world as many people seem to think :D

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next