Fordmods Logo

My 1st time at the drags ...tips please! 

Page 2 of 5 [ 61 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: au2 futura 75th anniversary edit

NSW, Australia

may sound trivial, but make sure u have
ur on-road papers and a helmet with u when u
turn up.

i know someone who just rocked up to a meet hoping to drag
but didnt have a helmet so he couldnt race.

This is Ford country.
On a quiet day
you can hear the
HOLDENS RUSTING...

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

mitch_anderson wrote:
Gaz wrote:
just a random off the topic comment mark.

how are you finding the manual? prefer it to drive over the old auto? (even if ya dicount the power difference)

u thinking of going manual...? hehe i did.....heaps more fun!

i may be considering it. ;) anyone got a complete doco for an ef?

but worried, have driven about an hr in a manual since the 3.5 years ago i got my license haha (only drove a manual for about 6 lessons got my license and that was it, apart from driving a mate home in his car) so i will be outta prac.

only worry is i do abit of city driving dont want it to be a C*** to drive.

figure if i get a new car in 9 months (xr6t maybe :D) i wanna know if i want auto or manual, and figure i should find out if i like manuals now when it isnt gonna cost be 25k to find out :P

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Power: 132 rwkw

QLD, Australia

gaz go look for a manual ef to have a drive in. The only e series manuals i have driven have been an ea wagon where I got my box from, an eb II s pac. they werent as easy as some of the other brand manuals with hydraulic clutches, but if the cables in good nick etc shouldnt be a drama. I'll let you know how mine is when its in :)

175.7hp 15.5 @ 374,000km
Team I have two E-Series AND all my teeth.

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

Mark my tips from my experience with my car.

-600ml coke bottle connected to drain overflow otherwise u wont pass the inspection
-TYre pressures at 20psi.
-Leave ur wheel/subs in the boot.. (keep it how it is on the road)
-Keep ur motor as cold as possible.. dont leave it on in the line etc..
-Burnout.. not to big.. if its big, it will heat up the tyres too much causing less traction.
Too small and your tyres will be cold and will have no traction either.
Start the burnout in the water in 2nd gear, as soon as the wheels spin move forward so the tyres are out of the water and hold it there for 2-4 seconds.
-After the burnout a few big revs to kill off the unburnt fuel (yours would run rich like mine)
-Stage the car, drive forward and ull notice 4 lights, 2 on the top row and two on the bottom. As you drive the car foward you will notice the first two lights come on keep moving forward, BUT REALLY SLOWLY until the bottom two lights come on
-You will find the guys at the plex dont wait to long and before you know it you have a big green light! Don't worry about it because reaction times mean f**k all to your 1/4 mile result. IN ur own time dial up about 3000rpm and then luanch the car hard. I slip the clutch out from 4000rpm in my car, but since yours has more power i wouldnt launch it at 4000rpm unless u had slicks/ or lots of experience :P DO NOT DUMP THE CLUTCH.
With a big cam like yours rev it out in every gear to JUST before the limiter.. you wiill find u will be running mid-high rpm in 4th gear across the line.
-Once you passed the line start slowing down immediately, the end of the track comes up quickly.
-Grab ya timesheet on the way back and post up on pertheseries.com and fordmods.com what times you pulled.

WIth your setup you should be pulling a 2.0-2.1 60 foot. If you have a 60 foot time of 2.2 or higher you need to work on your launch.. remember quick slip of the clutch NOT DUMP :D

GOod luck

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: The DEVEL XR6

WA, Australia

Thanks EED ...that's just what I need!

Chances are you'll be there when I do my 1st run anyhow ...unless I head down solo for a bit of sneaky practice. :wink:

Are WED nights the best nights for the 'plex? Cost per run?

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.
QUARTER MILE PB: currently 14.590 @ 96.00 mph ...BOOST AHEAD!!

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

haha sneaky pracitce.
iill be back in october man.

THey are the best but go on the first night it opens or wait a month.
First night = lots of people dont know about it/arent ready for it.
second night and the rest of the month = lots of people. U will probably only get 4 or 5 runs.
:P

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Gaz wrote:
just a random off the topic comment mark.

how are you finding the manual? prefer it to drive over the old auto? (even if ya dicount the power difference)

The manual is definitely more fun, and needs more concentration, ...no more 'steering wheel in one hand, ciggie in the other'!

It's not as smooth as the Auto, as it has a HD Brass Button clutch that really bites, ...and I really have to keep my revs up when maneouvring at low speeds, ...and the pedal itself is quite heavy, but I'm used to that now.

In a take-off situation, however ...she guns!

I'd say the current let-down is the clunky T5 shifter ...but I'm getting the Steeda quickshifter, which should sort that out! :wink:

Go the manual Gaz, ...more fun to drive, unless you hit peak-hour traffic every day. :(

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

im only in peak hour a few days a week really.

guess i could deal with it.

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Post subject: Re: My 1st time at the drags ...tips please!
Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

markr154 wrote:
Hey all,

I will soon be running my EL XR6 (see signature below for details) down the drags for the 1st time.

As you can see from my signature, ...I have a pretty mean N/A I6 beast, and the previous owner did a PB of 14.3 @ 97mph at Calder Park, ...so she's capable of at least mid-14's!

Plus, I will soon be fitting her with a Steeda T5 quickshifter that will at least guarantee no missed 3rd changes, and will likely get some slicks for extra traction.

The drag run will probably be with my other WA-based club 'Perth E-series' ...and the current N/A title holder is a Fairmont 6 with NOS (14.67 ET).

I'm quietly confident I can spank that time ...but I need some step-by-step tips as follows:

1. Tyre pressures on the night
2. Any tips on gaining some traction before the run (the pre-burnout etc.)
3. What the light sequence means, and...
4. ...how to get a good launch (point at which to drop the clutch & at what rpm, etc)
5. rpm's at which to change up through the run, and what gear to hit the line in etc.

As you can see, I'm a complete drag virgin ...and I just need some helpful tips from dudes that have done this all before!

I'm aiming to at least hit 14.5, ...and hand the NOS Fairy his a**, Hehe 8-)

Tip away, guys! :wink:
have you run the xr down the quater yet mark? im eager to see how you went.... :wink:

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

fordfreak ef wrote:
have you run the xr down the quater yet mark? im eager to see how you went.... :wink:

Nah, not yet mate ...getting the shifter in on MON, then may head down to the Motorplex with some WA club members (for moral support & advice, hehe)

Will keep ya posted. :wink:

BTW, nice car mate, very neat & tidy ...the altezzas, tint, and 19" rims look great!

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

I really cant do a burnout. Plus I get massive axle tramp when I do.
I need practise somewhere to get into the burnout trade.

I really want to better my time of 15.5

When does Kwinana open up again?

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon SXR8 1991

WA, Australia

i found when i went not too do too much of a big burnout, if u melt them too much they loose there stick. i usually count to 6-7 then stop. i left just as the second last amber went out but i was only just out of prestage, the timer doesnt start till u leave the line anyway so rts to me are for the pros. hope it helps dude

I want my beauty to be a beast

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

markr154 wrote:
fordfreak ef wrote:

Nah, not yet mate ...getting the shifter in on MON, then may head down to the Motorplex with some WA club members (for moral support & advice, hehe)

Will keep ya posted. :wink:

BTW, nice car mate, very neat & tidy ...the altezzas, tint, and 19" rims look great!
what you see is what i race on too hehe.. did 2x 14.5s on 19s :lol: and ultra lows.. i like getn my car out at the drags.. there never hardly any modified fords at the drags of around the mid 90s types.. lotsa ba'bf's though.. goodluck...

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:12 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: BA XR8 & EF XR6

SA, Australia

i found my stock ef xr6 t5 zorst and a soft compound rubber launched wickedly at around 2400 - 2500 any more and it would start to get wheel spin go do some research in your car ie - Launch at 2000 rpm and keep going up by 100rpm till you finding the perferct take off with no wheel spin and as for gear changes "know where your limiter kicks in and change 200 rpm b4 then or 300 if you really dont wanna hit it,mine bounces off it at 5800 rpm used to be 5500 before the zorst
at the moment mine is teasing me out the front all new mods and cant be driven until i get an MS1 to run it all :( hopefully wont be too much longer

My Rides:
BA XR8 Auto est.220rwk? 2.5" twin cat back exhaust,Shaker ,Kingspring Lows,premium sound
EF XR6 Manual ???rwk,Advance headers 2.5" sports exhaust,kingspring low's

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Tracker wrote:
i found my stock ef xr6 t5 zorst and a soft compound rubber launched wickedly at around 2400 - 2500 any more and it would start to get wheel spin go do some research in your car ie - Launch at 2000 rpm and keep going up by 100rpm till you finding the perferct take off with no wheel spin and as for gear changes "know where your limiter kicks in and change 200 rpm b4 then or 300 if you really dont wanna hit it,mine bounces off it at 5800 rpm used to be 5500 before the zorst
at the moment mine is teasing me out the front all new mods and cant be driven until i get an MS1 to run it all :( hopefully wont be too much longer

Sounds good mate.

BTW, what's an MS1? Where from? How much?

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 5  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next