Fordmods Logo

new, what do i need to race? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: new, what do i need to race?
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

ok i wanna look at doing some track days at eastern creek, however ive never raced before and am still on green p's. just wanna know if im allowed to race on my P's. and if so what do i need to race? and roughly the cost?
thanks

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Post subject: Re: new, what do i need to race?
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:31 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Best way is to join a car club with an active calender, like the triumph club. You are fine to race without a licence, you will need to purchase a CAMS club licence though, about $70 I think this year. club membership is about $110p.a with the triumph club. and entry is about $130 for a track day.

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

Have you checked out the website for the track? I know here in Perth the Motorplex has a site that tells you everything you need to know.

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:04 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

Or you could always go to wakefield park.

Oh yeah also helmet, and long sleeve shirt/ pants. non flammable.

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

can recommend karting (not the kiddy karts from the local hire centre) the real deal

some will do 130kph easy. the fastest thing you can use as a sprint kart will do 150 easy before you run out of road NOT power. Other benefits are that there is a huge community (online & track) for knowledge & meeting people, also you wont be thrashing your car to do it. However if you did up an old EB/ED & took that you'd probably be better off. nothing worse that stuffing the daily cause you took it to a track

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I come back sore as hell. when your driving properly (not like a tosser on the street smoking tyres) the real deal are absolute animals. You just keep turning in to the corner & accelerate, forces can be incredible.

Ash wrote:
fiftyone wrote:
can recommend karting (not the kiddy karts from the local hire centre) the real deal

some will do 130kph easy. the fastest thing you can use as a sprint kart will do 150 easy before you run out of road NOT power. Other benefits are that there is a huge community (online & track) for knowledge & meeting people, also you wont be thrashing your car to do it. However if you did up an old EB/ED & took that you'd probably be better off. nothing worse that stuffing the daily cause you took it to a track

I would love to do this when the kids get a bit older and get them involved as well. We have an awesome track not far away. I haven't carted on it but I have run my supermoto around it some time back.
I'm still to have a go of a real cart, only done the hire ones.

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:57 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU Falcon

VIC, Australia

karts are so expensive for what you get though. Some decent second hand karts on ebay are more than $6,000. Thats almost getting into the cost of a base model ba and look at the difference between what you get and how often you can use either of them.

I LOVE karts after riding on some decent ones at the phillip island track. The ones in dandenong are crap compared to them. Id love top get into real racing but its just way too expensive so ill spend money on my daily where i get more bang for buck.

Also regarding track days I think you need fire extinguishers too. Although they are only $20 and I would recommend that anyone have one in their car from personal experience!

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

valid point, but its relative. Blow up a motor in a BA & how much will it cost you? blow up a kart motor it'll only cost $150 to fix. BA wasn't built to race.

I'm not saying 'dont track day' but I would say 'dont do it with the daily' & 'do it with something that WILL take the abuse'. last thing you want is a car to s**t a trans & cost you the time & money

rhys.c wrote:
karts are so expensive for what you get though. Some decent second hand karts on ebay are more than $6,000. Thats almost getting into the cost of a base model ba and look at the difference between what you get and how often you can use either of them.

I LOVE karts after riding on some decent ones at the phillip island track. The ones in dandenong are crap compared to them. Id love top get into real racing but its just way too expensive so ill spend money on my daily where i get more bang for buck.

Also regarding track days I think you need fire extinguishers too. Although they are only $20 and I would recommend that anyone have one in their car from personal experience!

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:48 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

another thing your gonna need is a fire extinguisher. A fat wallet is almost essential. I would get a second set of rims and tyres too.

I race my daily, I have for years. The biggest killer is brakes and tyres. A well maintained car will stand up easily to the occasional track day.

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ash wrote:
rhys.c wrote:
karts are so expensive for what you get though. Some decent second hand karts on ebay are more than $6,000.

That's not a lot really. 6k wouldn't even get your foot in on a road bike track day. Might get you to go to the motorcross but your bike will be garbage.

Honestly, if you think this is a lot, then racing is not for you.

would have to agree here, $6000 is actually a fair bit when the second hand market is good right now. I picked up a basicly brand new 125 kart for $4000. i've seen them go for $3000. clubmans right now would be dirt cheap. and as said, if you need to ask how much, its not the sport for you

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yer i think you guys are right, no point in track racing my daily driver, cause if i screw it up then im screwed, but im gonna look into eastern creek drag strip. just so that i can get an official time for my car

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF daily, xc project

NSW, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
Best way is to join a car club with an active calender, like the triumph club. You are fine to race without a licence, you will need to purchase a CAMS club licence though, about $70 I think this year. club membership is about $110p.a with the triumph club. and entry is about $130 for a track day.

do you mean you can race with no actual lisence at all?

ef falcon daily driver
78 xc falcon 500 project
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/bradley4567-s-xc-t83750.html

calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Have a look on youtube - there's a guy called `blownhemi' (Scotty) who has done a series ov video's called 13's for $1300 where he takes a cheapie falc (EL I think it was) and basically guts it and modifies it to run 13's on the cheap - can't remember which forum originally started the idea but there's a heap of other cars on there where people have done the same thing - if you start off with a real cheapie like these guys and it blows up/gets stacked, you're not too much out of pocket..and if it hangs together then it'd be a hellova lot of fun that you could also do burnout comps etc in..

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ive had a look on the local dragway website (eastern creek) and every Wednesday its open for public to drag, if anyone has been or know more info like cost i would greatly appreciate it as the website says little info and my emailing is down at the moment

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:59 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

winman wrote:
ive had a look on the local dragway website (eastern creek) and every Wednesday its open for public to drag, if anyone has been or know more info like cost i would greatly appreciate it as the website says little info and my emailing is down at the moment

been out there a few times, its $50 to race, you need long sleeve clothing enclosed shoes, a as/nz1698 approved helmet..
your car needs to be road worthy and you need a drivers licence..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next