Racing in an auto? 

Page 5 of 6 [ 85 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

ebfairmont3.9 wrote:
ok do this.... It makes no difference power/econ mode if you shift it yourself... put it in first and put the brake on and stall it up to 1500 light goes green flatten it and release the break. Click second at 5300 Or a little earlier. Unless you do it alot and can change on the limiter lol

He is driving an ED they have a 1600 stall dude.

EF Onwards have a 2000-2200 Stally.

In our family flogger (EF Fairmont) Freak i stall it up with the handbrake....Flatten it with the handbrake up sits on 2200 and drop it on the green but then ya loose because your sideways off the line lol love it!

Mate there is no way a ed has a 1600stall....
Every Falcon ive driven will stall to 2000rpm. 2200 if its putting out a fair bit of power.
You may think they have a 1600 stall due to the fact most of them with the cheese cutter tyres will start to brake traction at that speed but your wrong. Its more due to the longer intake runners on the early e-series makes the engine produce its torque lower in the rev range. Which allows most of them to wheel spin at a lower rpm.

All Falcons with the btr 4speed has torque lockup, lockup becomes affective at 1800-2000rpm (torque converters stall point).
Where are you getting you info?

Btw: What is the point of reving a standard car that makes its peak power at 4200rpm to 5300rpm (or higher)?

Your spending all that time trying to rev an engine that has gone passed its HP and Torque curve and is loosing power!
If you shift at 4700rpm the engine will drop back to ruffly 3800rpm... just on the back of the point where it makes peak torque which will help it to rev to where it makes peak power at 4200 again then power platue's and starts dropping off so you shift again at 4700.

And do you think it coincidence that's where ford setup the shift point for the car in power mode? I think not. I dare say they have spent a bit more time and money doing research on engine/car performance than yourself.

That's how you want too race, you want to keep your engine revving in between where it makes peak torque to just after where it makes peak hp. Not just rev the motor till it doesn't want to. Do the research, when have you even seen a stock falcon make its peak Hp at 5300rpm? I don't even rev my EL XR6 (stock 5spd) that high? And it breaths a hell of alot better than anything thats been talked about here. Whats the point?

EDIT: fix my poor spelling :)

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

hahahahah well when my ED was stock it wouldnt stall up higher than 1600 and no its not the early series with the long runners.... the Early series make less torque down low, probably resulting in a lower stall speed yes...
its the EF/EL series with dual band inlets allowing longer runners down low for the extra torque.

and EF/EL motors make peak at 5000RPM. when they are STOCK sorry 4900...... and then exhausts, intake mods extractors, leaves me thinking that the peak power should raise a little.... i see the ford shifts more "protecting" the engine and gearbox more than for "ultimate" performance... My Falcons with el engines exhausts pulled hard right to the limiter and i know for a fact mine accelarates faster to 100 shifting later.... also the later i shift the higher in the power range it is when it shifts into the next gear.....

My new engine will have its limiter set to 6000 :) dont call me stupid either its a 2800-7000 cam.

ED Fairmont, Ghia mock DOHC-T 11.6 @ 118 Trying to get back to the 1/4!

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Um... yes it is the early series with the long intake runners... the later series has the broad band manifold, so the best of both worlds. So the log manifold will begin to generate torque lower in the rev range although the bbm will generate better/more torque and h/p due to a better flow rate, the longer intake runners on the log will make more torque down low (talking torque curves here)

You have to remember also that where talking about this guys ED! which is STOCK! it makes its power lower in the rev range because it doesn't have the bbm (so no switch over to short runners). So why tell him to rev it too 5300? its known that the log manifold doesn't help the engine "rev's" wise as the runners are too long hence slowing the air speed.

And how do you know your doing faster times reving the engine harder? 1/4mile runs?
Im running a G-Tech and know for certain my EL XR6 does faster times over the 1/4mile shifting at 4900-5000 than reving it to rev cut.
But maybe with an exhaust and mods your car does rev to rev cut no problems and does generate its power higher... still doesn't help this guy with his stock ED.

FALCAHOLIC

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

you know you got me, i wasnt even thinking, at the moment i have a differant ED fairmont its STOCK apart from the exhaust, and its has NOTHING about 4500 lol

ive never had an EB-ED with a stock motor for more then a month.... so i had forgotten how s**t those motors were...

ED Fairmont, Ghia mock DOHC-T 11.6 @ 118 Trying to get back to the 1/4!

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Flash wrote:
You may think they have a 1600 stall due to the fact most of them with the cheese cutter tyres will start to brake traction at that speed but your wrong.

its funny, when my AU was stock with a filter, and 3.08 rear end, it would only stall to about 1600. First thing every expert says is its not making power but it ran a trap speed of 89 mph, which is beter than some of the other cars there that ran quicker times.

I reckon its having a fked converter/trans that causes them to stall so low, coz mines fooked :)

however now with 3.89s when you stall it, you get wheelspin instantly. me likes.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeah it must be a fooked converter....

I just found another thread on here asking about stall converters and there speeds...Jeez!

Ok so i got the s**t so here it is...

Its my dads EBII fairmont, stock as a rock, 190,000k's cold start so it'll loosen up too.

Oh and in reverse too... so it didn't go through the garage wall :roll:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=IE-HLyZsWQc

Looks like close enough to 2000rpm for me :smile:

FALCAHOLIC

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:48 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

ILLaViTaR wrote:
Hmmm.

So at the line I flick the switch to power, shift it into 3rd, rev it to 1200 with the left foot on the brake and when it's go time I immediately put my accelerator to full and that's it?

Also will I need to use 4th gear? (it's a 4 speed auto).

For 4th gear would I just shift it into drive?

My F6 wont select 3rd gear while it is sitting only 2nd this is normal I guess ? 13.1 last night bog stock, I just put it in sports mode and let it rip.

its just a s**t old 4 litre ford

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:53 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

AFAIK that's all the ZF will let you do, 1st or 2nd from a standstill.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:04 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Yeah mine won't either, it's normal.
What 60foots were you getting F6madness, and how were you launching?

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

My best run was .852 reaction with a 60 ft of 2.116 which isnt so hot but I just need practice. That run was against my brothers SS 350 chev he got a 2.106 60 ft with a .604 reaction the 330 ft was 5.676 me 5.758 Chev.

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:51 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

2.1 60' is about the norm.
Theres a few blokes getting 2.0s out of stockers but I couldn't manage it :(
You need to stall it a little bit in second and try and get boost before torque reduction kicks in, then shift back to first as you launch.
All so you can launch on boost :lol:
It's tricky, something to practice late at night ;)

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Yeah i think ill just leave it in sports mode but use bigger tyres I raced a 351 and loaded up heaps and lost traction in 3 gears. With bigger tyres I could just load it up as much as I want..

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

NSW, Australia

put in heaps of octane boost in the fuel
i had an auto ea spak late 200,000 km
that i tryed to launch racing a excel lol
staled up for like 1 sec before crunch zzzzzzz
later e series are good for foot ons, but you can stuff your abs very pricey
i cannot belive how slow an ea is compred to el
plus i hate teh cr appy hand brake
not that it really matters in a rwd
the only comadore that has beat me in an i6 has been 5l fuel injected
or shot off side ways in a smokily manner followed by raaarrrrkpsssstraaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrkpsssstpssst

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Does octane boost really do anything if the engine dosnt need the octane rating to be high I just run BP ultimate it is 95 or whatever.
Would Octane boost really do anything more ?

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:39 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

only if you're tuned for it.

e.g. tuned for 98, if you're stuck in some small a** country town with only 91 buy some octane booster to bring it up to spec.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 6  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next