Fordmods Logo

1970 Capri + 2LT Turbo Ford Cosworth Engine 

Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

yeah be like every one els and put a windsor in it :roll:

or you could put any number of other better engines in it.

cosworth twin YB
zetec with a turbo
cosworth BDA or BDG or BDT
cosworth V6

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Hey, yeah i was thinking of a cosworth YB with the turbo and all and have seen clips of them and these things fly but a few people have told me that my pockets better be bloody deep to buy one of them......how much is deep in dollar value?

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

deep as in about 7000 for a running one.

personly i'd go with a zetec and a turbo.

i'm not going to spout out about what turbo to use as the ones we use at work are all custom modified for us by our local turbo guy.
we have a really nice 450hp turbo that we have used on a few SR20DETs
and had really good results.

a zetec with one of our 400 or 450 HP turbos on mild boost of about 8PSI would be a good setup. we have a promo car with a 450hp one on an SR20 and it's making 440hp at the fly wheel on 16PSI and some very mild cams.
the car still return almost stock feul economy when cruising.

we've been talking to our turbo guy and the turbo is comming off for some mild porting of the exhaust housing and a new 3.5inch dump pipe and by his flow bench it looks as though we'll be able to get at least 60HP more

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:28 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

good stuff, yeah i would go with a sr20 no worries but like honestly how many zetec turbos u see in aus? specially in a 70 Capri Gt, id like to spend a few hundred on a non-running Capri, and about 7-8K on the engine + turbo etc but i would love to get my 300hories at the rears seeing as the car is so light and the engine as well i dont see a need for HGUE horisies, and id love to be able to rev to 7-8k......
another avenue ive been thinking is a V-TEC + turbo as well

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

adzi_metallica wrote:
good stuff, yeah i would go with a sr20 no worries but like honestly how many zetec turbos u see in aus? specially in a 70 Capri Gt, id like to spend a few hundred on a non-running Capri, and about 7-8K on the engine + turbo etc but i would love to get my 300hories at the rears seeing as the car is so light and the engine as well i dont see a need for HGUE horisies, and id love to be able to rev to 7-8k......
another avenue ive been thinking is a V-TEC + turbo as well

the only problem you will run into is that most honda engines spin backwards.
and you'll end up with 5 reverse gears

other optoins are the FJ20 and the CA18 or if you have 7 tospend on an engine you could put a turbo on a 2L pinto. you will have no problems making 300 hp with 7 to spend
i have dyno read outs in a book i have about them for 500HP and more.
there was one making 800hp with 30PSI but that is a bit much for street car.

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Hey guys where in sydney (or a Aussie website) can i get info about the cosworth engine and Zetec engines i wouldnt mind calling someone and asking for prices........unless you guys have prices ehehhe

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Really if dollar value is a big part of doing the job, just put a Windsor in it.

All the conversions said so far are going to cost you big time, Jap engines will most likely to the the cheapest good condition engines to start with, but by the time you sort out the fuel injection wiring etc to fit the Capri you could be driving the Capri around sooner with a V8 that sounds better and was cheaper to do.

I really think modern engine and EFI is the way to go, but double your budget you thought it would take, before you start, unless you are capable of doing it all yourself.

Being that the Capri you will be starting with (unless it is a special import) never had EFI, you will have lots of work, probably won't be able to fit a fuel pump in the tank, you will most likely need an external electric lift pump, surge tank, high pressure pump, return line, new wiring for EFI, catalytic converter/s (unless engine is built pre 86), carbon canister (unless vehicle and engine is pre 75?) and then the engine conversion itself.

If you fit a V8 Windsor, use an engine that is pre pollution, that way you can still fit EFI (late model injection system bolts straight up) but not have to comply with pollution ADR's except for what the vehicle came out with.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

there is a turbo sierra on ebay at the moment , you buy it and pull the motor and ecu ect out of it and i will buy whats left over ,

just a thought cause i need some parts

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Put an SR20 det in, they have to be one of the best 2lt motors comonly available today, there's so many bolt on parts available.
Sure its not a ford motor, but who cares, your esky will fly!

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

peronly i'd go with a ZETEC as it will bolt to you existing gearbox and it has already been done a thousand times. if your really keen on this car go and track down a mag called Classic ford, but make sure it's the english one.

there you will find all of your answers.
through tha mag you can engine mounts that will put a zetec any where that used to have a 2L pinto or 1300/1600 kent engine, pretty simple.

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
peronly i'd go with a ZETEC as it will bolt to you existing gearbox and it has already been done a thousand times. if your really keen on this car go and track down a mag called Classic ford, but make sure it's the english one.

through tha mag you can engine mounts that will put a zetec any where that used to have a 2L pinto or 1300/1600 kent engine, pretty simple.

You have a good point there, but it will still cost a packet no matter what he does.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Damage wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

You have a good point there, but it will still cost a packet no matter what he does.

when does modifing a car not cost a packet???

a 350hp windors with suspension and brake apgrades will cost just as much as a ZETEC and brake upgrades. and will handle a hell of alot better with no suspension upgrades needs as it would weigh less the the 2L that is already there

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

just click on this link and buy this motor you won't have any worries it sounds like what you want and there are plenty of guy there that can tell you what to do.

motor is not mine and i don't know the owner from a bar of soap. but if i have the money to spare i would buy it no questions asked.

http://classicford.mine.nu/forum/topic. ... IC_ID=2573

i like old skool small fords and i don't think they need japaness parts to make them go hard. if you can afford to put a cosworth in do it cause they arn't going to get any cheaper.

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

nice...

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Damage wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

when does modifing a car not cost a packet???

a 350hp windors with suspension and brake apgrades will cost just as much as a ZETEC and brake upgrades. and will handle a hell of alot better with no suspension upgrades needs as it would weigh less the the 2L that is already there

Unless I am missing something here, the Capri in question is a 1970 GT, he did not state V6 so it is a 1600 (2L was not in Aussie Capri), it will need strut and brake upgrades for a start, if it was a V6 than this would be different as they use heavier duty struts and brakes.

The Zetec would be a great upgrade as I have noted earlier but it will require current ADRs and unless the Capri has V6 struts/brakes etc it is likely an engineer will require those to be fitted too.

I without weighing the alloy headed Zetec, I would be nearly certain a Zetec will weigh more than a 1600 Kent engine, the Kent engine weighs more than 30kgs less than a 2L Pinto engine.

You can buy V8 kits for Capri's that will comply with engineers requirements.
You will probably find out that similar requirements will be required for a 300hp Zetec, and then you might have emission requirements that might be hard to comply with, as a 300hp Zetec is far from stock, and that engines emission standards have to be complied with.Unless you can pay off an engineer this will be a problem, and if the EPA does a random check you better hope it complies, they can't do much with about earlier standards, but they can with current.

No arguing here, just showing different prospectives of doing such a conversion.

As much as I dislike carbies, I could show links to a cheap carby 350-400Hp Windsor build up using early factory early heads, and I hate to say it, but it won't cost much more building this engine, than purchasing the better EFI intakes etc that will only make a start to do this on a EFI 5.0L, and low down torque won't be such a big issue when the car weighs around 1100kgs with the V8 fitted.
http://www.capriv8.de/perana-engl.html

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next