Fordmods Logo

5.0L Supercharger sizes...... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: 5.0L Supercharger sizes......
Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Cherokee

QLD, Australia

Okay plan is $1500, this is to fit a small blower, small intercooler, rising rate fuel reg.
I need to know what is a good size (cheap) blower that only runs a small amount of boost, I don't want to spend any more than about $500

Intercooler I'm allowing $300 max...
Fuel Reg roughly the same $250...
Blower around the $400-500 mark...

Piping is not an issue I have 2x 2.5m lengths of 3" steel and about a foot of silicon hose to suit.
Bends and brackets will cost me from nothing to very cheap...

Thats the basics but I'll get into depth later on......

Looking for EF/EL Falcon/Futura/XR6/XR8/Fairy.
PM me if intrested in selling......

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

OK here's the thing about supercharging.

There's no cheap solution.... short of stealing something. People have tried - and people will continue to try - to get the "magic" solution that is cheap and gives you good increases....

Anything that is from a small japanese car (i assume you might have a toyota blower in mind) will just not flow enough air.

It's easy to pressurise air.... when it's static. It's quite difficult to pressurise air when the engine is sucking in 500 cubic feet of air every minute.

This is not what you want to hear, i acknowledge that. But a powerdyne blower would be the smallest air pump that's worthwhile - in my humble opinion.

Some info here on an XF w/ V8 and two 1ggze toyota blowers:

http://boostcruising.com/forums/lofiver ... 25932.html

Pay particular attention to the bold bit... remember this is with two blowers.

Quote:
the transplant to a 5-litre V8 necessitated both the use of dual units, and also that they be spun at 1.5 times engine speed if the required 12 psi boost was to be realised. In fact, initially they were rotated at 1.2 times crank speed, but the resulting 3-psi boost just wasn't enough

But yeah... in my opinion, there is NO cheap solution. If there was, every man and his dog would have a quick, cheap 5L!!!

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Cherokee

QLD, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
OK here's the thing about supercharging.

There's no cheap solution.... short of stealing something. People have tried - and people will continue to try - to get the "magic" solution that is cheap and gives you good increases....

Anything that is from a small japanese car (i assume you might have a toyota blower in mind) will just not flow enough air.

It's easy to pressurise air.... when it's static. It's quite difficult to pressurise air when the engine is sucking in 500 cubic feet of air every minute.

This is not what you want to hear, i acknowledge that. But a powerdyne blower would be the smallest air pump that's worthwhile - in my humble opinion.

Some info here on an XF w/ V8 and two 1ggze toyota blowers:

http://boostcruising.com/forums/lofiver ... 25932.html

Pay particular attention to the bold bit... remember this is with two blowers.

Quote:
the transplant to a 5-litre V8 necessitated both the use of dual units, and also that they be spun at 1.5 times engine speed if the required 12 psi boost was to be realised. In fact, initially they were rotated at 1.2 times crank speed, but the resulting 3-psi boost just wasn't enough

But yeah... in my opinion, there is NO cheap solution. If there was, every man and his dog would have a quick, cheap 5L!!!

Yeah I'm aware that there is no cheap solution, never bloody is but that is what I had in mind. So they just won't be able to flow enough air, fair enuff thats all I needed to know.
Also recommending the Powerdynes what would you reccomend from them? As I said before I'm only looking for a low boost application not wanting to go over around 6 pound. The intercooler is only there to try and stop the detonation process but also I live in a rather warm climate and was hoping this would also help keep things cool.
I suppose using a powerdyne would also mean not having to plumb in oil feed and return lines

Thanks Mart.....

Looking for EF/EL Falcon/Futura/XR6/XR8/Fairy.
PM me if intrested in selling......

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Yeah that's probably the main selling point for the powerdyne IMO - no oil lines.

But also, because they're not having hot engine oil pumped through them... the air charge they produce is significantly cooler than a vortech.

The "stage 1" kit i had from CAPA saw about 7.5psi at the rev limiter, so taking it out to, say 5500rpm produced about 6psi (check out the graph in my gallery, i think one of them has boost plotted on it).

I got away with no intercooling and the climate doesnt get much warmer than Adelaide in a dry, hot summer. I had the CAPA water injection system, but even then - i rarely used that (if i'd been sitting in traffic and intended to put the foot down, i would enable the water inj, because the engine soaks in a lot of heat sitting in traffic).

Only thing i really dont like about the centrifugal blowers like powerdynes and vortechs... is the big/expensive brackets needed to mount the things...

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

On another note what's the biggest blower that will fit in a V8 E series engine bay? Commo boys can fit V7 T trims with ease, or so they say.

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

The Commodore boys would be able to fit almost any size blower in there. The bracket they have for them leaves a lot of room. I still struggle to fit an S-Trim in my engine bay.

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Umm I'm not up to spec on my vortech blower sizes and ratings. How much power is your S trim rated at? And what size is it (v1-v7)? All I've head about them is that V7's are supposedly the biggest and a T trim is the loudest vortech blower.

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Any centrifugal supercharger costs a tidy penny even 2nd hand (I've looked at the option my self) and there are alot of hidden costs too.

A roots type would be easier but getting it to fit is another.

All the hidden $$$ all adds up and to find a unit for under 1.4 k is hard.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

I've only got a V1 S-Trim, which the majority of people would have. They're basically the common ones.
The T-Trims are loud, but i reckon the S-Trim i have was basically as loud as another guy i know who has a T-Trim. Unless you get a V2 SQ, which are supposed to be quiet, they're all reasonably loud.
AFAIK the S-Trims are rated to about 700hp, and can supposedly make up to 20 PSI, but you'd need a Gilmour drive belt to run anything close to that i would reckon.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]