Fordmods Logo

a few questions about superchargers 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: a few questions about superchargers
Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Falcon Futura

NSW, Australia

yeah just a quick question about superchargers.

a) does anyone on here have one on an ef-el??
b) where the hell does the supercharger sit on an e-series??
c) if i wanted one, how much would it cost me??
d) what kinda power could i expect??, some people have said around 350kw, is this a realistic figure??
e) king low springs, and new shock sounds like a good idea to me...what u think??

any pics/diagrams would be useful, if anyones got em!

thanks

mods to my laser:
vortex fuel.....seriously, its quicker than mums falcon, well, at stalling anyway....oh she does alright burnouts tho, will post a picture soon enough....screw flanders!!

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: MY06 REX

WA, Australia

Sit inbetween the airbox and the throttle body- sorta like the opposite to where the power steering pump is.
check out www.capa.com.au I think their $12k kit will give you around 300kw at the flywheel - but you will need to strengthen internals and probably drive line

The Evil Strawberry

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

on top of that the legal age to drive a supercharged car is 17 on your p's and 18 onwards..

and insurance, keep dreaming..

i suggest suspension, decent/wider tyres, brake upgrade first.

you'd be looking with above included about $8-10k mark fitted.

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Quote:
well, i drive a falcon that is in need of depserate repair, and ill be honest with you, idd much rather own a moto than that falcon!!

That's your signature. Why not rather use the money to repair your falcon, as you say it's in desperate need, or buy your motorbike?
Anyways, the amount of power would depends on the amount that you invest into it. Just remember there's alot of hidden costs, such as the increase in insurance, using more fuel, etc.

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: VL RB30E

VIC, Australia

go the cheap way round and get a supercharger off a 1ggze engine from justjap or any jap importer for around 300 make up sum brakets bt this bit of that and u got one, im still researching them how to put them onto a for engine but for mine im taking the aircon out and putting it there

Spooling soon...

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Marmo aka GRNGOB wrote:
go the cheap way round and get a supercharger off a 1ggze engine from justjap or any jap importer for around 300 make up sum brakets bt this bit of that and u got one, im still researching them how to put them onto a for engine but for mine im taking the aircon out and putting it there

Thats been done and it only got a max of 2-3psi (but was a restriction at some points too) and didn't get any real results. The falcon engine is just too big for those small jap blowers.

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
Marmo aka GRNGOB wrote:

Thats been done and it only got a max of 2-3psi (but was a restriction at some points too) and didn't get any real results. The falcon engine is just too big for those small jap blowers.

Lets go a pair of them hey :twisted:

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
Lets go a pair of them hey :twisted:

Yeah thats what they attempted to do afterwards but had too many problems and weren't seeing any real results so gave it in.

Post subject: Re: a few questions about superchargers
Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

fun_on_rear_demister_4u wrote:
yeah just a quick question about superchargers.

a) does anyone on here have one on an ef-el??

Yep. Check my gallery out for pics if you like.

Quote:
b) where the hell does the supercharger sit on an e-series??

Assuming you mean centrifigual (powerdyne/vortech) it sits where the airbox does, hanging off a big bracket from the engine. Once again, check out my gallery.

Quote:
c) if i wanted one, how much would it cost me??

Start at around 6k for a stage 1 powerdyne from CAPA - includes everything. $8k gets a stage 2 vortech kit i think.

Quote:
d) what kinda power could i expect??, some people have said around 350kw, is this a realistic figure??

Big power costs big money. My entire setup was $6k and getting around 250kw from the motor. But this doesnt include new injectors, ECU, fuel pump etc. which you'll need for big power.

kw aren't the be-all and end-all. My car keeps up with people who claim they have 200rwkw from their naturally aspirated engine. Much more power than i have - but i gots more torque.

Quote:
e) king low springs, and new shock sounds like a good idea to me...what u think??

I think a supercharged falcon on standard springs and shocks would be.....intersting.....

Quote:
any pics/diagrams would be useful, if anyones got em!

thanks

All in the gallery dude :wink:

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA Falcon

QLD, Australia

I remember reading an article on Autospeed, where a Ford ute (EF maybe?) was making about 7psi using two of these little Toyota superchargers. I think a pulley was used to overdrive it 1.5x normal speed.
Can anyone confirm this?

Also, if you did have the car slightly modded with a cam, exhaust and extractors, suspension, having a little supercharger running 3-4 psi would be the next power-to-money upgrade would it? (Hoping :?: )

Anyone actually bolted one of these onto their cars, and can add any more information about this?

1989 EA Falcon MPI (Converted! YAY!)
2.5" Sports System, Lowered, Thermofans, XG Snorkel
Result: 108.4rkw (145hp)

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

NSW, Australia

i know this might be way out there but could you bolt two on and use a manifold for three of thefront cylinders and a manifold for three on the back? then you could have 2litre capacity for each supercharger which is how the 1g's came out. then you could run 10psi into it and it would be awesome...

would it work?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]