Fordmods Logo

Best location for water methanol injector ??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Best location for water methanol injector ???
Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

I'm about to install a Snow Performance Stage 2 water methanol kit on my supercharged AUXR8 Windsor and have a dilemma about where to install the nozzle. After reading numerous posts on other forums and writeups on websites, I'm still unsure. Snow Performance says to put it next to the throttle body, but this is after the IAT (or AIT) sensor that measures the hot air coming out of the SC.

If the IAT doesn't know the air is cooler going into the engine, how does the ECU know to adjust the advance? Some comments, that I read, said not to install the WM nozzle before the IAT as it will end up recording the WM rather than the air temp and become 'wet'.

Is it necessary for the IAT sensor to be installed in the EGR spacer, or in the upper Explorer manifold somewhere?

Can anyone advise on this please?

Attachments:
SC (Medium).jpg
SC (Medium).jpg [ 136.56 KiB | Viewed 587 times ]

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Post subject: Re: Best location for water methanol injector ???
Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF XR8

WA, Australia

Hey bud, realise its old but how did you go?
Im doing the same setup early next year.

Post subject: Re: Best location for water methanol injector ???
Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Welcome to Fordmods. I installed the injector after the IAT sensor. If it's before the sensor, apparently the spray can interfere with the sensor readings. Some people were installing the injector before the SC but this can cause rust to form on any steel parts in the housing.

There was a noticeable change in the AFRs once the WM was added. I suggest you keep a tune on the SCT tuner in the event that you run out of WM somewhere. At least you can download the tune to get home. I've only got a 3 L tank, which is good for 1 tank of fuel. Mix the methanol by volume 50:50 with distilled water. If you have the WM pump working above 3000rpm, then you won't have to keep refilling it like I did initially (due to stop-start driving in slow moving Melbourne traffic).

The guy tuning the engine said there was another 20-30 rwkw left in the engine but, as it's got a stock bottom end and the blocks are prone to split, I settled for a safe tune. He said, "Get a 347 Dart Block with forged internals and we'll try for 400rwkw"..... :D

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]