Post subject: BF XR6 Turbo diagnosis help with codes
Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Hi fellow modders.

Gots me a little problem with the XR, which I hope maybe one of you keen sort may be able to nut out.

The check engine light has been popping on, usually around the time I go for a hard take off. When I go to do a nice WOT take off, we get a second or so into business, the traction control wiggles a bit and just when all hell should unleash- the engine cuts out. For half a second or so. It comes back on, but wont boost properly until you back off the throttle.

As a side note after hard boost there is a funny smell. Not burning oil, or burning electrics- its more a dry heat smell.

As for the codes the check engine light throws up, the first one was to replace coil 6, which was no probs, don't get that one anymore.

The one that is the killer is P1132 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Rich - Bank 1 refer P2196.

P1132 has been coming on for some time now, not long after getting the 60lb injectors and tune loaded on.

Now I looked up P2196 for Fords, and it tells me Lack of H02s-11 switch sensor indicates rich.

Possible causes are:
- Faulty 02 sensor and/or connection
- Inappropriate fuel pressure
- Intake air leaks
- Vaccuum leaks

So it gives a wide variety of things. Given the description given above, is there somewhere I should start that isn't the 02 sensor? I got the A/F's checked maybe a month ago on the dyno all looked good.

Thanks for taking the time to compute this data.

enough isn't enough

Post subject: Re: BF XR6 Turbo diagnosis help with codes
Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

found this also from engine-light-help.com

So knowing all of this what should we check when we have those pesky rich or lean codes? The most common issues for lean codes are:

1. Vacuum leaks - check for failed or loose vacuum lines, leaking intake gaskets, intake air tubes loose or any other source of un-metered air leaks (leaks after the Mass Air Flow Sensor)
2. Restricted fuel filter or bent/pinched fuel system lines
3. Incorrect input from other sensors, such as the Mass Air Flow Sensor, which may not always drop a separate code
4. Engine misfire - Yes I know this one may seem weird. You might think that if there is a misfire then you will have all that unburned fuel and it should read rich; right? Well the O2 sensors read only oxygen content in the exhaust, so if you have all that unburned fuel from incomplete combustion then, you guessed it, you also have all that unburned oxygen. High O2 content in exhaust equals a lean reading!

There are also some other possibilities such as an internally leaking EGR system, (but this will typically set a separate code). A leak in the exhaust system before the O2 sensor will also cause incorrect readings. And always check for after- market modifications. These can throw a wrench into the works! The only other possibilities (however unlikely), are wiring issues, computer concerns or a bad O2 sensor! There now that I've said it, on to rich codes.

The possible causes of rich codes are:

1. A leaking or faulty fuel injector
2. Fuel injector driver in computer shorted, or wiring short for injectors (likely a ground short)
3. Leaking or faulty fuel pressure regulator or restricted return line
4. Faulty evaporative emissions system - bleeding fuel vapors into engine (not commanded by computer)
5. On newer models a faulty fuel pump or fuel pump driver module
6. Faulty readings from other sensors such as a Mass Air Flow Sensor. You may actually be getting more air than the MAF tells the computer
7. Exhaust leaks before the sensor will cause erratic readings
8. After market components or performance chips
9. And yes, if I dare say it, possibly a computer, wiring issue or even a faulty O2 sensor!

Can anyone confirm if a turbo manifold leak might cause a faulty 02 reading, as well as maybe give that hot burning smell? Do the turbo manifolds on these things often get leaks?

enough isn't enough

Post subject: Re: BF XR6 Turbo diagnosis help with codes
Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BF F6 Typhoon

SA, Australia

To help you a little, the 6's don't use an AFM, so there is no need to worry about that.
They do have a MAP sensor for the inlet manifold and a pressure sensor near the intercooler.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]